+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, On-Line reporting requirements in General; Don't know where this should be - possibly in 'Behind the Red Door' but I need to know if anyone ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts

On-Line reporting requirements

Don't know where this should be - possibly in 'Behind the Red Door' but I need to know if anyone can help me?

We are battling with the local county council to get our current two networks integrated into one , so that we can fulfil the requirements for on-line reporting and VLEs by Sept 2010 (Sims data is on the admin network and needs to be accessible by my curriculum network so that we can put it in the VLE etc)

The laissez-faire Dep Head has just spoken to someone at County who has told him that the requirements for publishing live data about attendance etc has now been downgraded, and schools can just publish the data they already have - in our case, levels of achievement etc

My boss, (the IT co-ord) and I are fighting to drag the school kicking and screaming into the 21st century and this was going to be one way to do it because it was a government requirement to have on-line reporting - meaning we could have a VLE and everything else.

But now, if it is true that the requirement is no longer there - it changes everything

I have searched and found nothing regarding this. Can anyone shed any light or point me in the right direction?

2. 2 Thanks to witch:

stevenlong1985 (22nd May 2009), Talorin (22nd May 2009)

Thank Post
    Cant help you with this Witch as we are in the same position - Using the fact that we have to get online reporting sorted to instagate the installiation of a VLE and some new hardware to run it. I think I'll be watching this thread carefully - thanks for raising this as I'd not heard anything about the requirements being changed.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Talorin View Post
    Cant help you with this Witch as we are in the same position - Using the fact that we have to get online reporting sorted to instagate the installiation of a VLE and some new hardware to run it. I think I'll be watching this thread carefully - thanks for raising this as I'd not heard anything about the requirements being changed.
    Would it be possible to ask your council what they think? Yours may be a little more forward-looking than ours and it would be very useful to know.
    It is very hard for us to watch the senior management of a school seize on the vague statements (and they were VERY vague) made by a council official as an excuse not to push the staff into the modern world!

Thank Post
    There are two issues exercising the minds of the powers that be at the moment.

1. Integration of data from school management systems with VLEs. Problematic though some progress is being made, eg CLEO's MIDAS integration of SIMS with MOODLE .

2. Security issues. Recent issues with poor security of data throughout a whole raft of government departments, allied to the sensitivity of data held in schools about children and their families.

The main issues exercising the minds of those who actually work in schools may be along the lines of "WTF. If a parent wants information about their child that urgently there is something called the "TELEPHONE" or even email if not that urgent!!"

You may even ask if this, (like so many other IT related schemes in schools), is a technological solution looking for a problem to solve simply to gain headlines?............ I couldn't possibly comment on, confirm or deny such a thought!!!!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've just been having a quick look over the BECTA website. There didn't seem to be anything in there about the requirements being reduced.

In fact the letter I managed to find, which was sent out to all heads mentions maximising the use of information technology for reporting to and involving parents.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This was mentioned at the Croydon SIMS Roadshow I attended on Wednesday. Pupil information should be made available to parents online by 2010. The bit that was "reduced" was the requirement for live data to be provided (so no updating on the site as soon as the teacher puts the absent mark in for example).

This was all Capita explained though on the matter. It was during their Learning Gateway talk and they mentioned something about live data being a requirement to go above BECTA level 3. Someone here probably knows more about that then me.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread