+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, More data lost in General; More data loss. Lets see how long it takes the LEA to send out flyers saying we need to use ...
    Thank Post

Thumbs down More data lost

More data loss. Lets see how long it takes the LEA to send out flyers saying we need to use encrypted memory sticks

data lost | leicester city council | memory stick | security | this is leicestershire

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    How on earth is making just one person; doesn't matter how highly ranked they are responsible for data theft or loss? I think it's a ridiculous idea and completely inaffective.

You can have as many policies and precedures in place, but it's educating people which is the way forward. Once people realise it's just as important as not losing your credit cards, or your house or car keys (as they're all similar sizes to memory sticks), I think the likelyhood of data loss will be greatly reduced.

I also believe in many cases it's software itself which is to blame. Forcing users to have the need to transfer or move data in the first place.

Thank Post
    Lets see how long it takes the LEA to send out flyers saying we need to use encrypted memory sticks
    You mean they haven't done that already? Slackers..

How on earth is making just one person; doesn't matter how highly ranked they are responsible for data theft or loss?
    They get to set and publicise the policy which leads to draconian disciplinary action if their underlings don't follow it. This is security and the biggest difficulty with security is that it cost money and like insurance, doesn't give you much noticeable benefit for your expenditure until something goes wrong. High up people with serious influence over budgets are definitely the ones to hit.

Forcing users to have the need to transfer or move data in the first place.
    Nothing to do with jobs where you are pretty much compelled to work at home for free on your own time then?
    Last edited by PiqueABoo; 20th May 2009 at 10:06 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    To certain degree I think it does.

Here in Leicestershire the director of CYPS has been asked to be informed straight away any data lost occurs trust me that makes heads sit up.

Same thing making senior person of LA makes every other person in chain sit up. The old adage of this is important to your bosses- bosses -boss so heck it is important to me.

Russ

Russ

Thank Post
    Nothing to do with jobs where you are pretty much compelled to work at home for free on your own time then?
    Working for free outside of your work hours isn't the issue here. That's for another discussion, but I do believe that keeping files in a central, secure, remote location is the way forward and that notebooks for example should simply be a tool to access this information. In many respects, this is how VPN works (to a point) but I think something more mainstream needs to be created.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One thing that annoys me is the lack of support form exam boards.

When a teacher submits a DVD with all the students coursework to the exam board it will contain details of the students, school etc. Not to mention work that could be copied if found in the wrong hands.

The exam board wont allow you to encrypt the Discs.

Thank Post
    The exam board wont allow you to encrypt the Discs.
    This is a brilliant example and proves my point that getting any one person to sign an agreement is just completely pointless. Where does the buck stop if this disc gets lost?

8. Thanks to Michael from:

FN-GM (20th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It get on my wick to, i encrypt as much as i can but if others wont meet you half way there is only so much you can do.

10. Thanks to FN-GM from:

Michael (20th May 2009)

Thank Post
    This is exactly why I believe that access to all school data from outside school should be provided by secure encrypted Terminal Services etc. Data always stays in school, in the server room, It can be viewed and edited, but can't be copied onto whatever client is being used to view the terminal session (thin client, fat client in school, PC at home, laptop on train, etc).

Butuz

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread