+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Training in General; Morning all, We're in the potentially fortunate position whereby we might actually have a budget for some training next school ...

Thank Post

Training

Morning all,

We're in the potentially fortunate position whereby we might actually have a budget for some training next school year (crazy I know).

We want to do the MCITP Enterprise Administrator Qualification (or at least work towards it), but aside from bootcamps (like firebrand), I'm struggling to find anywhere. I'd prefer to do classroom based training (although I know this will cost a significant amount), those of you who have been fortunate enough to attend training courses, is there a particular company you'd recommend?

Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Tresham Institute of Further and Higher Education - Tresham Institute

They don't list all the courses on the website, but search for Microsoft to see some of them.
    I did an MCP on Windows 2003 managing / administering a network environment. I imagine they have them all if there is demand as they are an approved M$ centre.

It only cost something like 300 something really low, and it's not a bad place to come and visit, probably a 3 hour drive down from stockport.

Well, it is a bad-ish place, i grew up in wellingborough, but it's cheap and cheerful. i did a 5 day course, very relaxed. if you paid up, you could probably get the books, and then do phone support with them for a bit, and turn up when you need help.

Look up wagnerk for advice too, he's local to that area, and has a lot of qualifications... i think that's his username.

3. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Iain.Faulkner (20th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You've mentioned them. I know they're expensive, but I honestly cannot recommend Firebrand enough. They are well worth the money, and their courses really are everything they promise, at least in my experience.

I did my MCITP:EA with them (had to take one extra exam since I was technically only there for the upgrade from my MCSE), and had done many of my other certs with them beforehand.

Very accomodating, fantastic food, very intense, comprehensive learning and instruction, and loads of useful tidbits to pick up along the way. The instructors are top-notch and really do know their subjects inside out.

I've seriously considered taking a week's holiday by going on a Firebrand course rather than wasting money on a trip abroad somewhere.

Just remember, if you're taking your own laptop and happen to spot a network called CEH appear, don't join it.

5. Thanks to jamesb from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    You've mentioned them. I know they're expensive, but I honestly cannot recommend Firebrand enough. They are well worth the money, and their courses really are everything they promise, at least in my experience.

I did my MCITP:EA with them (had to take one extra exam since I was technically only there for the upgrade from my MCSE), and had done many of my other certs with them beforehand.

Very accomodating, fantastic food, very intense, comprehensive learning and instruction, and loads of useful tidbits to pick up along the way. The instructors are top-notch and really do know their subjects inside out.

I've seriously considered taking a week's holiday by going on a Firebrand course rather than wasting money on a trip abroad somewhere.

Just remember, if you're taking your own laptop and happen to spot a network called CEH appear, don't join it.
    Hi James,

Thanks for your reply. I agree with you that Firebrand are excellent (in a previous job I spent a week with them doing a CRM developer course and it was exactly as you described it), they are certainly well worth the money (even at 6500 for the EA qualification), I just don't think I could handle 13 days there in one chunk :-) (plus I doubt the school will let me out for that length of time and sadly this summer is out of the equation to go on any training courses). Ideally I'd like to do the equivalent of the MCP's in order rather than all at once (like firebrand do).

What was the CEH network?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Tresham Institute of Further and Higher Education - Tresham Institute

They don't list all the courses on the website, but search for Microsoft to see some of them.
    I did an MCP on Windows 2003 managing / administering a network environment. I imagine they have them all if there is demand as they are an approved M$ centre.

It only cost something like 300 something really low, and it's not a bad place to come and visit, probably a 3 hour drive down from stockport.

Well, it is a bad-ish place, i grew up in wellingborough, but it's cheap and cheerful. i did a 5 day course, very relaxed. if you paid up, you could probably get the books, and then do phone support with them for a bit, and turn up when you need help.

Look up wagnerk for advice too, he's local to that area, and has a lot of qualifications... i think that's his username.
    Hi Vikpaw,

Thanks for this, it looks exactly what I am looking for. Just a shame it's 3 hours away :-(

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    if you get the train you can study on it!
    trains used to go direct from manchester to wellingborough, i think now it's easier to change at sheffield though.
    i think there are similar places further up north, but i've always had it local.

Thank Post
    I live in Wellingborough and it's been handy for some exams I've had to do. Not sure about the quality of the lecturers as i only applied for the exams.
    Advent Training might be an option, give them a ring see if they can accomodate what you are after, they're workshops are very good, speaking from experience.

10. Thanks to apoth0r from:

Thank Post
    I've just completed MCDST at York University, might be a little too far to travel though!

IT Academy - University of York

12. Thanks to adamchapman from:

Thank Post
    Iain, might be worth looking at wigan and leigh college - Welcome To Wigan & Leigh College

they do the 2003 MCSA and CCNA courses, as long as you dont mind spreading out the training over a few months one night a week.

14. Thanks to Chris_Jones from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain.Faulkner View Post
    Hi James,

Thanks for your reply. I agree with you that Firebrand are excellent (in a previous job I spent a week with them doing a CRM developer course and it was exactly as you described it), they are certainly well worth the money (even at 6500 for the EA qualification), I just don't think I could handle 13 days there in one chunk :-) (plus I doubt the school will let me out for that length of time and sadly this summer is out of the equation to go on any training courses). Ideally I'd like to do the equivalent of the MCP's in order rather than all at once (like firebrand do).

What was the CEH network?
    The CEH network is the Certified Ethical Hacker course wireless network, the one where they practice breaking into a secured wireless network and any devices hooked up to it. I wisely decided not to link up to it.

I know that when I've been on courses with them, there have been people coming back for the second half of the course when they couldn't make the full thirteen days. Not ideal I know but it might be worth talking to them about options.

16. Thanks to jamesb from:

Thank Post
    We've done some at Sheffield Hallam Uni

The Training Foundry | Adobe, Cisco and Microsoft Courses | Part of Sheffield Hallam University

I'd highly recommend them.

18. Thanks to steve from:

Iain.Faulkner (21st May 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain.Faulkner View Post
    ...I just don't think I could handle 13 days there in one chunk :-) (plus I doubt the school will let me out for that length of time and sadly this summer is out of the equation to go on any training courses).
    As suggested by another poster on this thread I can confirm we are more than happy for students to do split week training on the MCITP EA

Thank Post
    Hi Iain,

We are currently offering a discount of 1310 on our MCITP Enterprise Administrator course scheduled for the 13th July. If you are interested you can call us on 0844 888 1677 to reserve your place.

Also for those that are interested in sitting for various Windows Server 2008 Courses can have a look at our website for more details.

Thanks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread