+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Web Browsers in General; Interesting experience over the weekend. I consider my XP home PC to be pretty well up to date and decided ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Web Browsers

Interesting experience over the weekend. I consider my XP home PC to be pretty well up to date and decided to load the Beta copy of IE 7 - it looks very good.

All went well until this morning when I tried to access a secure web site receiving a message that it did not recognise the browser. Gave the options of loading IE 6 - which took me to the IE 7 Beta link again or Netscape. Eventually ran Netscape and very impressed with the features on offer. Ran the built in scan and it discovered a "unknown" trojan and an item of spyware. Rather a surprise that as Norton is bang up to date and regularly run and also Windows Defender likewise.

Thank Post

Re: Web Browsers

Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky
    Rather a surprise that as Norton is bang up to date and regularly run and also Windows Defender likewise.
    Not wishing to take this off topic but just to note..

I had Norton and Win Defender on my PC when I got infected with something that got past my common sense filter (ie: I clicked when I should have avoided).

Norton reacted but didn't clean it.. win defender sat there oblivious and it was only the use of Avast Home edition, Ewido anti-malware and a few other utilities that I was able to clean the PC over a 5 hour period. Norton and Win Defender have since been removed and replaced.

As for IE beta.. to be honest, for all that I've seen it really doesn't have anything that isn't already in Opera or Firefox so I'm not really sure just how much benefit there is given that MS are just playing catch up after sitting on their laurels for years.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by contink
    As for IE beta.. to be honest, for all that I've seen it really doesn't have anything that isn't already in Opera or Firefox so I'm not really sure just how much benefit there is given that MS are just playing catch up after sitting on their laurels for years.
    The biggest benefit I can see with IE7 is that it's more standards compliant than IE6, and it can understand (at least part of) CSS2, which from a webdesigners point of view, is a God send.
    I'll still be sticking to Firefox myself though, It'd be a pain to go back to surfing without Adblock, Filterset G, and NoScript (among others) ^^

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

No it's not. The CSS and DHTML support in IE7 is still terrible.

Thank Post

I also will be sticking with Mozilla, however I like Opera too (fast!) and Camino (Mac) is good too.

I do some work devloping websites and IE is the worst one to get to support things properly, like PNG transparency and CSS positioning. Also have to find bits of "work around" code off the net or create myself to get certain things I want to achieve to work.

Thank Post

@Geoff: I only said it was more compliant than IE6, which really doesn't say alot. It's still better IMO than IE6 as the fancy menu systems (CSS only, I refuse to use javascript for critical navigation elements) on a couple of my sites now work in IE as well as FF (where they've worked perfectly for years)

I'll happily admit that MS have a long way to go before they're anywhere near standards compliant, but at least they're making steps in the right direction (however slowly)

@CM786: You'll get no argument from me there, IE is a pain to code for.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread