+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, school meals in General; the school provides really nice looking and tasting meals and it rear that there not something on offer i will ...
    stu
    Thank Post

school meals

the school provides really nice looking and tasting meals and it rear that there not something on offer i will enjoy, the problem is the size of the portions, <rant> they have slightly smaller plates to give the illusion of a larger portion and today took the biscuit (actually i bought 2 then went got hot sandwich to try full up) it was a chicken breast in bread crumbs and salad, problem was the amount of salad could have been dished out with a table spoon and the chicken breast was tiny, i would have thought they would notice the difference between child portion and adult portion and even if they charged accordingly I wouldn't mind it just the pitiful amount offered is annoying.
    </rant>
    thanks

Thank Post
    I'm a bit full after my school dinner - lamb stew with new potatoes, brocolli, cauliflour, carrot and swede... and a sponge pudding with custard for desert!

Thank Post
    I usually do a pasty in the microwave. All good, but yesterday's one made me ill so I'm having something else today.

Our catering's done by Amey and it's not amazing, not many staff use it. Not many students do either, now I think of it!

Thank Post
    Our Menus

Thought you might like to see our menus.............

Thank Post
    Could I see the wine list please?

stu
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by daveyboy View Post
    Our Menus

Thought you might like to see our menus.............
    blocked by county

Thank Post
    Its B.Y.O.............

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,635 Posts
    Our food is excellent! We use a catering company that supplies locally sourced food and our cook is fab.

The mains are really tasty and as for her cakes... *salivates * Today was lasagne, salad and garlic bread (or spicy vegetable pittas for the veggies). It was carrot cake for pud, but I resisted temptation today!

A couple of years back, my son ended up in school with me when snowed out of his own school... after filling up on Toad in the Hole (with extra sausages, cos half our kids hadn't made it in) and all the trimmings, he then had syrup sponge and custard. It's a meal he's never forgotten as those are probably two of his most favourite food items! He's all for our cook changing schools!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    the school provides really nice looking and tasting meals and it rear that there not something on offer i will enjoy, the problem is the size of the portions, <rant> they have slightly smaller plates to give the illusion of a larger portion and today took the biscuit (actually i bought 2 then went got hot sandwich to try full up) it was a chicken breast in bread crumbs and salad, problem was the amount of salad could have been dished out with a table spoon and the chicken breast was tiny, i would have thought they would notice the difference between child portion and adult portion and even if they charged accordingly I wouldn't mind it just the pitiful amount offered is annoying.
    </rant>
    thanks
    Stu

My mum has been the head cook in a primary school in Pembrokeshire for nearly twenty years, my nan (mum's mum), was head cook in a Pembrokeshire secondary schoolfor over forty years. They both agree with you Stu, portion sizes are getting smaller. Hell everyone in the school kitchens today will agree with you!

School meals, here anyway, are seen as a profit making business rather than a service providing heathy meals to the pupils and staff in the schools, which IMHO is bol***ks. School meals were never about making money, they were about making sure that the pupils were fed and healthy, ready to learn!

From memory, I think my mum is working on a budget of £1.50 per pupil.

I think that says it all.

10. Thanks to Gonk from:

stu (12th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,635 Posts
    This school has the right idea!

Times Online - School serves lunch to village

Cooking for the public has not only saved their jobs, it has made them up their game.

“This is much better than any restaurant,” one diner said. “I’ve booked my table for the rest of term.”

stu
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonk View Post
    Stu

My mum has been the head cook in a primary school in Pembrokeshire for nearly twenty years, my nan (mum's mum), was head cook in a Pembrokeshire secondary schoolfor over forty years. They both agree with you Stu, portion sizes are getting smaller. Hell everyone in the school kitchens today will agree with you!

School meals, here anyway, are seen as a profit making business rather than a service providing heathy meals to the pupils and staff in the schools, which IMHO is bol***ks. School meals were never about making money, they were about making sure that the pupils were fed and healthy, ready to learn!

From memory, I think my mum is working on a budget of £1.50 per pupil.

I think that says it all.
    it all good food that sold here and if that quote is accurate then i can see y quantity is lowered by quality but there a line and today it was just little to far past.

Thank Post
    we get good food too

but it takes two burgers, a pasty, mash and salad to fill me up
    .. which actually sounds good. might have that tomorrow =D

Thank Post
    Our school meals are run as a profit-making enterprise by one of County's cowboys - sorry, contractors. I think the school gets a cut of the profit, and has certain leeway regarding the operations and prices.

The food is alright though nothing to write home about, but they never cook enough - obviously wanting to avoid waste. Thus kids who have a lunchtime activity and go in last, don't have much if any choice and have to buy sandwiches at break.

Last time I bought food there (nigh on 2 years ago now) it was about £1.80 for a dinner, then another 80p for a dessert, 60p for a tiny bottle of drink.

Only times I go there are inset days when it's free!
    Last edited by grumpy_git; 12th May 2009 at 04:11 PM.

Thank Post
    Our school meals are awesome, especially with staff subsidy. Portions are good generally, but I get extra because the ladies in the kitchen have decided I need feeding up

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,411 Times in 1,695 Posts
    Dorset got rid of school meals in first and middle schools some years ago, so there was nothing for us. However, they are in the process of bringing BACK hot school meals as the government has decreed that children do better after a proper meal. Of course none of the schools have a kitchen any more so that has caused endless problems. Meals are being bussed in in hot containers by outside contractors.
    Having said that, some of the senior schools which always had a canteen are going to be providing food to the middle and first schools - Poole Grammar for one.
    The junior school I work in has just started serving hot meals again - they are of reasonable quality as far as I can tell - we just get the leftovers!
    Actually I am quite glad I can't get to a proper meal at lunchtime - I would definitely get fat!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast