+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, A School Diary Going Back To 1863 in General; I was just on a local primary school website and come accross this - About St Lukes Pretty interesting a ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries

A School Diary Going Back To 1863

I was just on a local primary school website and come accross this - About St Lukes

Pretty interesting a diray going back many many years. does anyone else do this?

one quote

March 22nd 1926

I have had to thrash Frank Herron this afternoon for playing truant. He was away four times last week and again this morning and had to be fetched this afternoon.

The attendance is very much better today. 90 children being present this afternoon.
    The war stuff is also interesting
    Last edited by FN-GM; 7th May 2009 at 11:00 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,604 Posts
    As it's our 90th Anniversary this year, we've been collecting all sorts of things to do with our school since 1919. Getting back to 1863 is pretty impressive. My last school has the school punishment book from the 1880s.

I've been scanning in our school's original log book which was returned to us from the USA by the great-grandson of the first headmistress. It's a fascinating read, especially when you put it into historical context. e.g. The first woman MP, Nancy Astor, was elected in 1919. Antibiotics weren't discovered until 1928 (and deaths are regularly recorded in the log ) Women could only vote if they were 30 years old!

We've also collected a great deal of music that was written by the school's first music teacher... we've had archivists at Boosey and OUP hunting it out for us! The children are learning it to perform at a concert this summer.

I like this bit: Awkward parents in 1920 who won't believe that there little darling is capable of misbehaving! the child was removed from the school by the parents.
    A few days before school began, Mrs W showed us P's report which had been altered in pencil, evidently by some child, with the intention of improving it. This, she said, was done before it reached her hands. She was greatly annoyed at our failure to clear up the mystery and gave notice for P for next term
    My favourite bit, though, is this letter written by a 6 year old in 1924
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A School Diary Going Back To 1863-hilary-shore-letter-3.jpg  

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We did this a a while back produced DVD might suggest we put it up in history bit on the website

Russ

Thank Post
    Its our centenary this year, were also doing something very similar.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    I was just on a local primary school website and come accross this - About St Lukes

Pretty interesting a diray going back many many years. does anyone else do this?

one quote

The war stuff is also interesting
    When I was a governor at Lowerplace (just down the road from you) the head found some old school logs from around 1865-1890 and the number of children who died during the course of a winter made for some sad reading. I believe they're in the local studies library (Touchstones) now. Fascinating stuff.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    A good reason not to put the school diary in outlook/exchange -> you probably won't be able to read it in 10 yrs, never mind 100yrs.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    Its our centenary this year, were also doing something very similar.
    Us, too - we found a bunch of cine film footage from the 70s and 80s which we got converted to DVD. Great fun watching it - the garish colours! The silly hairstyles! Nuns playing ping-pong!

--
    David Hicks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread