+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, The Swine Flu Thread in General; Originally Posted by ICT_GUY EVERYBODY PANIC! Would, but I'm still exhausted from panicking about the radiation leaks up in Scotland. ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ICT_GUY View Post
    EVERYBODY PANIC!
    Would, but I'm still exhausted from panicking about the radiation leaks up in Scotland. Gimme a few months.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Once upon a time there was a little boy called Media, and he was given the job of telling all the people in his village what was happening each day.

One day he was bored, and no one was giving him shiny sixpences for telling them what was happening, so he ran into the village yelling "A beast is coming, a beast is coming!"

Well the villagers went around panicking and getting their weapons out and barring their doors, but the beast never turned up. Still, they were all grateful to the little boy for telling them and so they gave him lots of shiny sixpences and he went out and bought sweets, and ate them.

A few days later the boy was bored again, and his sixpences were all gone, so he say down and thought and then ran into the village again yelling "Earthquake! Earthquake!"

So the villagers did the same as before, making sure everything was safe and secure and waiting outside, and many of them nodded wisely at one another and said that they'd felt a little tremor. And they gave the boy some shiny sixpences for telling them, and he went out and bought sweets, and ate them.

This happened many more times, and the villagers eventually got fed up of the panic the boy kept on causing, and started to ignore him. Then one day the boy came running into the village, this time with a plan to make all the people listen to him and give him sixpences to buy sweets again. He yelled at the top of his voice "Fire! Fire!"

And the villagers ignore him.

And they all burned to a crisp.

Thank Post
    I don't know what you are all worried about, its just another day at the office here

Thank Post
    Three more swine flu cases confirmed

LONDON (AFP) – Three more cases of swine flu have been confirmed in Britain, adding to two already known about at the weekend, Prime Minister Gordon Brown said Wednesday.

The new cases were a 12-year-old girl in Torbay, and two adults in Birmingham and London, he told MPs, adding that authorities aimed to increase stocks of anti-virals from 35 million to 50 million.

Anybody on here from Torbay?

Thank Post
    The best info I have seen so far has come from BoingBoing (well worth reading anyway as it is fab). Info like there is always a flu outbreak going on somewhere. Although you may really feel you want to die, chances are you won't. This piece about the 1918 pandemic:

It's estimated that about 28 per cent of Canadians and Americans contracted the Spanish flu. Worldwide, an estimated 2.5 per cent of the sick died of complications, which made the pandemic one of the most lethal flu outbreaks in recorded history. Certainly it was one that imprinted itself upon human consciousness for several generations.

But there's another way to look at those statistics. You might observe, for example, that they mean that even during the worst ravages of the 1918 flu, 97.5 per cent of those infected survived and recovered. Or that 72 per cent of the population -- even in the absence of the sophisticated public health planning and infrastructure that Canada and the U.S. have since built -- was not infected during the pandemic.

So, even if we had a repeat of the 1918 flu, the chances were seven out of 10 that you wouldn't catch it and if you did, the odds were better than nine out of 10 that you'd survive.

That was during the worst pandemic of the modern era and one which occurred in the days before the instantaneous communications of radio, television and the Web enabled quick public health responses.
    All puts it perspective.

6. Thanks to TechMonkey from:

bizzel (1st May 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    Would, but I'm still exhausted from panicking about the radiation leaks up in Scotland. Gimme a few months.
    What this one - National news outlets, citing "secret" Ministry of Defence (MoD) documents, are reporting that "serious safety breaches" and "leaks of liquid radioactive waste" have occurred at the Faslane nuclear submarine base. It's sort of true, but one would release many times more radioactive material into the Clyde by dropping a luminous watch into it.

Homer Simpson 'nuclear waste spill' panic at nuke sub base! • The Register

Thank Post
    ^ yes you really have to put it into perspective. Especially now with so much more information, better science, better communication, better drugs, we are in the best position we can be in, and we're lucky enough to live in one of the best prepared areas.
    Its the undeveloped countries that could really, really suffer.

I was quite scared when news first came out about this, but I have calmed down a fair bit since.
    There is a lot of scaremongering but it was valid, especially at the beginning, because unlike bird flu it is actually being transmitted human to human - thats what made it scary to me - bird flu was all about what 'could' happen, this was *actually* happening.

Since the death rate seems to have slowed, and in mexico the confirmed deaths from this has actually been revised downwards, it seems to be a lot less serious than first thought. Add to that everyone that has brought it back with them from Mexico has only had mild symptons and have recivered, plus so far (touch wood) it doesnt seem to have spread exponentially, I'm fairly calm about it.

Have also read that even if a full scale pandemic occurs, there is a good chance it would not occur till the autumn, giving time for vaccines to be worked on.

As others have said, the most worrying thing is our bungling government saying there is nothing to worry about
    But when I see well informed healthcare professionals and doctors saying positive things it makes me feel a bit more confident. Helps to read as many sources as you can I think, so you can get a balanced picture - otherwise you could end up with either an overly blasé attitude or a PANIC PANIC PANIC one - neither of which are very sensible

Thank Post
    CALIFORNIA PANIC 11 PEOPLE ARE ILL, GOVERNATOR DECLARES STATE OF EMERGENCY!

AFP: California declares swine flu emergency

Thank Post
    lol arnie, hes too hard to get swine flu

Thank Post
    Merck and GSK seen rubbing their hands at potential 'emergency'.

Thank Post
    Alot of people don't take this seriously enough in my opinion. It is a well know fact the flu viruses mix and is why we get new strains, at the moment this H1 strain doesn't seem to be too deadly(in comparison to previous pandemics ie 1918) but it does seem to transmit reasonably quickly, 10 countries confirmed already.

If this virus were to reach somewhere like south east Asia and mix with their known strains of H5 flu, which is deadly, there could be a real issue on our hands!

That is obviously worst case scenario!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,767 Posts
    Paignton Community College in Devon has shut after a 12 year old pupil who had been on holiday to Mexico was confirmed as having Swine Flu:

BBC NEWS | UK | Three new swine flu cases in UK

Thank Post
    any members from Paignton Community College?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ascott2 View Post
    Alot of people don't take this seriously enough in my opinion. It is a well know fact the flu viruses mix and is why we get new strains, at the moment this H1 strain doesn't seem to be too deadly(in comparison to previous pandemics ie 1918) but it does seem to transmit reasonably quickly, 10 countries confirmed already.

If this virus were to reach somewhere like south east Asia and mix with their known strains of H5 flu, which is deadly, there could be a real issue on our hands!

That is obviously worst case scenario!
    I remember reading somewhere (or misreading, who knows) that a virus can nowadays travel around the world within about three days.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ascott2 View Post
    (in comparison to previous pandemics ie 1918)
    As I said above, the 1918 pandemic, although pretty bad, wasn't all that when the facts are looked at. Globally 2.5% of people infected died, so 97.5 people survived. & only 28% of people were infected at all. This was in 1918! I think we should be a lot better prepared and sorted now.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast