+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Oh great. Jury Service. Brilliant. Not. in General; I just read a site explaining that sometimes, cases can go on for months... One example they gave was the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,550 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I just read a site explaining that sometimes, cases can go on for months... One example they gave was the Jubilee fraud case, which was 2 years long...

Can you imagine doing jury service for 2 years? Imagine the damage to your career!

stu
    Thank Post
    Id like to do jury duty im proper nosey, plus would be interesting to see how it all worked

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    Add to that those who feel sorry for the poor person in the dock and you can get a weird old brew :-)
    That would be me. I find I tend to give most people the benefit of the doubt even when I really shouldn't, hence why I wouldn't want to do it as it'd cause arguments.
    Last edited by _Bat_; 29th April 2009 at 09:23 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I just read a site explaining that sometimes, cases can go on for months... One example they gave was the Jubilee fraud case, which was 2 years long...

Can you imagine doing jury service for 2 years? Imagine the damage to your career!
    They're rare, and as you spend more time on the case your remuneration increases accordingly.

Thank Post
    When i did jury service, i spend most of it playing and completing half life 2, i wasn't called even once, was a nice week off. Definately take something to read as it is totally boring sat in that room all day long. They give you an allowance for food each day, which if you don't spend they give you in a cheque. So i took my own lunch and made some money from it.

Thank Post
    I got called up in May 2008, however a week after recieving the summons, I got a phonecall saying that they had called up too many people, and would I like to defer my time, so I agreed to Nov 2008.
    I got called up to two cases, but never made it to verdict, as one of the cases the defendant pleaded guilty and the other case, one of the jurors realised halfway through the case that he knew of the reputation of the defendant by 'nickname' and that had us all thrown out.

Spent two weeks near enough playing Champ Man 01/02. It was sweet.

Bacon bun and a cup of coffee every morning at no cost, life was bliss.

However 2 days I wasn't needed in, so I had to go to work. My office was literaly 30 seconds from the courts

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well both my GP and my audiologist have written to them explaining my auditory condition so we'll see what happens. I'd love to do jury service but there wouldn't be much point if I couldn't process much of what was said. I rely on lip reading for processing 60 - 70% of what I hear spoken so I could end up missing a vital point in an argument.

And no, I'm not deaf so please don't suggest I take an ear trumpet along with me!

I have [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auditory_processing_disorder"]APD[/ame]
    Last edited by tech_guy; 5th May 2009 at 11:20 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    And no, I'm not deaf so please don't suggest I take an ear trumpet along with me!
    I think you should anyway just for the comedy benefit.

"No, you can't take it away from me, that contravenes the DDA."

9. 2 Thanks to powdarrmonkey:

nephilim (5th May 2009), tech_guy (5th May 2009)

Thank Post
    I found it to be an interesting insight into how the legal system works, and I'm glad I did it (even though I spent a lot of time getting paid to read a book and play on the wife's new DS!). I didn't get a "nasty" case though, so maybe my view would be different if I had.

As others have said, your employer is not required to pay you, and the court does not reimburse your full salary (£30/day or something like that). You employer may choose to pay you in full, at which point you don't claim, or to pay you your normal salary minus the £30/day. Take your own lunch with you, and pocket the £5/day food allowance from the court, and you'll make a bit of money out of the proceedings!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123