+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, 2k for 10year banger trade in in General; Can anyone shed some light on this, I have read over it before. Basically the government have come up with ...
    Thank Post

2k for 10year banger trade in

Can anyone shed some light on this, I have read over it before.

Basically the government have come up with a scheme which gives you a minimum of 2k for a 10yearold+ car, when you trade in for a new one - in order to get older motors off the roads.
    Last edited by flashsnaps; 27th April 2009 at 06:42 PM.

Thank Post
    Basically, that's it in a nutshell.

Thank Post
    The PR side of it is to get old cars off the road and help the enviroment. The realistic side of it is that they need to get the car industry moving again, so they're following the same stimulus that other EU counteries have introduced!

Thank Post
    My Car is over 10 years old I would not class it as well banger just what I can afford to run

Darling will offer 2,000 reward to scrap old cars - Times Online

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    It will be interesting however just how well this idea will work. The Government pay 1000 and the car manufacturer also pay 1000. The car industry are struggling like crazy as it is and they've already reduced prices of many new cars. In some cases, second hand cars are more expensive than new ones.

I personally don't know anyone with cars 10 years+ or more. Close to that requirement but not over.

Thank Post
    I knew i'd find something useful for that 8k sitting in the back of the sofa!

I'm sure keeping my old car is better than wasting all that energy to build a new one just to run on petrol again.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    The PR side of it is to get old cars off the road and help the enviroment. The realistic side of it is that they need to get the car industry moving again, so they're following the same stimulus that other EU counteries have introduced!
    well, they've not tried very hard to dress it up as a 'help the environment' thing. It's main purpose it was made clear was in response to the success of similar schemes in parts of europe.

also, you really shouldn't talk about getting an industry or aspect of the economy 'moving again'....makes you sound like a nulab politcian.

Thank Post
    2k for a crap heap all sounds very good... but our childrens childrens childrens children will be paying for it for years to come

Also whats to stop someone from trading up using the scrap allowance, and then selling the new car a few weeks later? You could probably make a few quid

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post

In some cases, second hand cars are more expensive than new ones.
    that sounds almost impossible on a like-for-like basis. Unless we're talking about select niche products or rare vehicles....but then hasn't that always been the case ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    Basically, that's it in a nutshell.
    sorry to split hairs, that's not quite it in a nutshell. As another poster has intimated, it's got naff all to do with getting old cars off the road, it's a parachute for the car industry.

And the point about the energy required to produce a new vehicle means the environmental benefits are dubious for replacing old with new.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    sorry to split hairs, that's not quite it in a nutshell. As another poster has intimated, it's got naff all to do with getting old cars off the road, it's a parachute for the car industry.
    Fine, that's the official nutshell. I agree, there's a hidden agenda to do with getting car sales moving again, which I strongly disagree with.

And s/he has a name.
    Last edited by powdarrmonkey; 27th April 2009 at 08:58 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    Fine, that's the official nutshell. I agree, there's a hidden agenda to do with getting car sales moving again, which I strongly disagree with.

And s/he has a name.
    why would you strongly disagree with 'stimulating' sales in the car industry..don't you want to save jobs ? woops, now i'm starting to sound like a nulab policitican.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,623 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It will be interesting however just how well this idea will work. The Government pay 1000 and the car manufacturer also pay 1000. The car industry are struggling like crazy as it is and they've already reduced prices of many new cars. In some cases, second hand cars are more expensive than new ones.

I personally don't know anyone with cars 10 years+ or more. Close to that requirement but not over.
    You sort of know me!! Mine is 12 years old and counting. (that's apart from the 1972 Beetle and 1987 Mini on the driveway, but they don't count as they are classic cars!)

We bought a 7 seater back in 2000 to accomodate our three children and always said we would keep it going until the last one left home or went to Uni. She's 16 now....so not long to go.
    I think I could actually benefit from this 2000 lark - shame that I don't agree with it on so many levels:
    eg how does making the car industry pay half help them, and the fact that we need to get cars off the roads not put more on etc etc

Take public transport back into public ownership and pump money into that - that's the answer. I have been to so many countries where they have a brilliant public transport system, seamlessly blending buses, trains etc (eg Atlanta in the US) and I don't see why we couldn't do it.
    Better for the environment, better for the low-income people who can't afford a car no matter how much you give them towards it, better all round, really

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 740 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The guy off Radio 4's Moneybox program was saying at the weekend that some of the car manufacturers in the UK have actually increased their prices over the last few months in anticipation of this incentive coming in last week. Meet the Fockers.

Thank Post
    You mean there trying to save britians bustling car manufacturing industry..... oh wait I've spotted a floor in the plan.

16. 2 Thanks to mossj:

CHR1S (28th April 2009), j17sparky (28th April 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast