+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, 2k for 10year banger trade in in General; Why should we help out the car industry ? If they go bust then HA HA to them I say. ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Why should we help out the car industry ? If they go bust then HA HA to them I say. Same with the banks, same with any other business - if you can't run it correctly then you have FAILED, move on.
    Its all part of growing up and being British.

2. Thanks to mattx from:

tech_guy (28th April 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonk View Post
    I From what I've been told, some manufacturers feel that the £1,000 will have to come from the dealer margin initially and at the end of the financial quarter, if the dealer has hit the quarterly sales target, the manufacturer will pay the £1,000 back; if they don't, no £1,000!
    now that's what i call an incentive.

coquet636
    Well just thought i would add i have gone like the good lemming i am and signed up to the scheme. . . The government is giving me 1000 off and the garage is giving 2500, although they were offering this anyway!!!! so i have only gained 1000 for my almost dead Peugeot, but its alot more than the £60 quid the scrap man offered and more than the £500 i have been offered at various garages.

So after next week the wheels will be in motion to deliver me a lovely new Kia Ceed....

Thank Post
    What will it do in the long run though? It's all screwed.

Look at it this way, we've been churning out thousands of vehicles a month that have no buyers, that then sit in storage fields and the like waiting to go to dealers. What good will scrappage do, when these vehicles are sitting waiting?

We've built a house of bloody cards. Build things in excess, use things in excess, waste in excess, live in excess above our means, lend in excess...it was only a matter of time until it all fell down. Poor management, poor leadership, poor regulation.

The car industry is shot to hell, simple as. Massive overstock to shift, still producing more, finding that the market is disappearing. One outcome.

Sorry..I'm having an uncharacteristic negative day..

As to paying dealers to fix problems..bugger THAT. I've just bought a Vauxhall Dealer Workshop reference/repair DVD off eBay, an Opel laptop diagnostic and programming interface from Ebay, and a blanking plate for my iffy EGR valve.

All in all it's cost me..about £50. Just to plug in at a dealer would be £60-65, not including any fixing.

The economics of bangernomics is more my alley.

Thank Post
    I've a car that's 40 years old, another that's 31 and one that's 9 years old.
    If i wait till next year when the newest becomes ten years old can i cash them all in ??

I think i should get 2k for each & every ten years, so that's 80 years in total.. erm, so that's 16k!

Off out now to point and laugh at the 40 year old :-)
    Might clean it too, it deserves it

Thank Post
    I admit, a classic appeals to me now more than ever. Gone right off new cars, they all look the same and are about as much "driver involvement" as a fridge. I don't call electronics, drive by wire, ABS, EPS, ESP, TOSS etc as "real" driving. Safer maybe, but if I wanted to drive a PC wrapped in bubble wrap, I would.

Give me the old world..carb engines, chokes, throttle cables, good old oily, simple fun.

I liked my old Astra, and my Maestro before it. Both has PAS (although the ones before those didn't, and was I bothered?), and an auto box, and electronic ignition, and that was it. If you drove like a spanner, it bit you, not babysat. If you wanted to skid in the snow and have some fun, you could.

I'd LOVE a mini estate. Old one mind. Computers in cars has reached a silly level. The Golf I had as a courtesy..lovely machine. DSG, ePas, traction control, stability program, all the bells and doodas. Yet it felt isolated. I felt like I was driving a ruddy simulator. No feedback at all.

Thank Post
    My GF has just bought a brand new renault clio, she had an S reg Vauxhall Corse 1.7 diesel which was on its last legs and had been offered £700 for it.

Renault are doing a deal on the Clio's so shes getting a brand new clio for £6495, with her 10 year old banger plus renault are knocking money off the clio's on top of that. I think usually a brand new clio will cost you £9995 ish....

Not a bad deal really....plus he's throwing in some extras.

Thank Post
    with renault, hope it's warranty..heh.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,382 Times in 1,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klop View Post
    I've a car that's 40 years old, another that's 31 and one that's 9 years old.
    If i wait till next year when the newest becomes ten years old can i cash them all in ??

I think i should get 2k for each & every ten years, so that's 80 years in total.. erm, so that's 16k!

Off out now to point and laugh at the 40 year old :-)
    Might clean it too, it deserves it
    Don't laugh at your poor old car!!
    I have a car that is 10 years old, one that is 21 and the veteran - a 37 yr old Beetle on my drive
    I would never laugh at any of them because it just hurts their feelings.

I'd much rather have a classic car than a new one any day

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Don't laugh at your poor old car!!
    I have a car that is 10 years old, one that is 21 and the veteran - a 37 yr old Beetle on my drive
    I would never laugh at any of them because it just hurts their feelings.

I'd much rather have a classic car than a new one any day
    I'm more likely to swear at them than laugh i've got to confess!
    Beetle and camper here.. they're the older two. new (lol, 9 years old) car is just a daily run-a-bout :-)

But, it is 40 this year, just looked and it was registered 15th July '69, we'll bake it a cake and maybe give it a service for its birthday

Saw your post earlier about the bug.. best get your lad out there working on it ;-)

coquet636
    Well who said cars have no feelings!!!!!!

I am taking mine to be traded in using this government scheme at 2 today!!! woohoo, oh but wait, my car has other ideas.... guess who didnt start this morning. . .

I am telling you they know when there going somewhere they dont want to....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm just wondering how many cheap, ten-year old cars I can pick up for under a grand. You see plenty at the sides of roads with For Sale signs.

Thank Post
    you have to have owned the car for at least 12months :P

15. Thanks to kevbaz from:

jamesb (27th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevbaz View Post
    you have to have owned the car for at least 12months :P
    You've just saved me from spending a lot of money on some useless cars.

Thank Post
    feel free to send me some of the said cash !!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast