+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, 2k for 10year banger trade in in General; We run a gifted 1998 R Nissan Micra with 30k on the clock as our main car. It'd be anti ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We run a gifted 1998 R Nissan Micra with 30k on the clock as our main car. It'd be anti environment to scrap it as it's lean on fuel and has plenty of life left in it.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    We run a gifted 1998 R Nissan Micra with 30k on the clock as our main car. It'd be anti environment to scrap it as it's lean on fuel and has plenty of life left in it.
    Blimey you can't be doing much motoring then? I'd give anything to be able to walk or cycle to work rather than the 15 - 20k mileage I clock up each year just travelling to and from work

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    You sort of know me!! Mine is 12 years old and counting. (that's apart from the 1972 Beetle and 1987 Mini on the driveway, but they don't count as they are classic cars!)
    OK, one person with a car over 10 years :P

The guy off Radio 4's Moneybox program was saying at the weekend that some of the car manufacturers in the UK have actually increased their prices
    Prices in general are definitely going up. It annoys me when politicians claim the cost of living is reducing. I was looking at the cost of memory earlier and compared it to invoices from late last year. There's quite a big difference!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    I knew i'd find something useful for that 8k sitting in the back of the sofa!

I'm sure keeping my old car is better than wasting all that energy to build a new one just to run on petrol again.
    8k? A kia Picanto comes in at 4195 base price, or a Chevrolet Matiz at 4315. Or if you want something a bit funky, a Smart fortwo pure starts at 4562, with the scrappage scheme. (Yes, I know, if you are anything but a single person this isn't plausible, just pointing out 8k is quite a lot....)

Thank Post
    This is just another useless idea from them... people who drive cars that are 10+ years old do so because they a) cant afford a new car b) aren't stupid enough to buy a new car.

My car is 15 years old, worth a dam site more than the 2000 scrappage money and would in no way help me buy a new car. My car doesn't quailify for it anyway being an import.

What fool would choose to buy a picanto, matiz or a smart, no one with any sense

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 1,496 Posts
    My 1999 Focus would be eligible, but with 35K on the clock and its reliability, we have no intention of replacing it until the MOT starts getting expensive (it passed this year's with flying colours). It's not the smartest looking car - "paintwork commensurate with age", but there's no rust!

In any case, we don't happen to have 8000 spare to buy another!

Thank Post
    I do actually need a new car but as someone has rightly pointed out. If i needed a new car and could afford one i would have bought one by now. My windows don't work after numerous attempts at fixing them, the Heating system doesn't work, keeps blowing cold. But the bit that does matter the engine is still running as smooth as the day i purchased it. It has around 137,000 miles on the clock and still passes MOTs like nothing.

So although i would like to update my '96 reg Honda Accord, it's reliability is making me hold on to it (and the fact i have no cash to buy a newer one)

It's a 2.0 litre so a bit bad on the environment but i was looking through a paper the other day and a 318 BMW i assume around the 2 litre mark was cheaper than a fiat panda

But overall i wouldn't buy a new car so i can't get the scrap deal anyway can i?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dave.81 View Post

What fool would choose to buy a picanto, matiz or a smart, no one with any sense
    <fx>Waves hand</fx> - I own a Matiz (but, sadly, it's only 8 years old so I'm not getting a new one just yet :-)

Thank Post
    My 14 yr old civic went through its MOT last week, the emissions were as good as a new car.

Thank Post
    Quote from Witch 'You sort of know me!! Mine is 12 years old and counting. (that's apart from the 1972 Beetle and 1987 Mini on the driveway, but they don't count as they are classic cars!)
    Anyone that owns a Beetle is ok with me. If you ever want to sell it am your woman!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Quote from Witch 'You sort of know me!! Mine is 12 years old and counting. (that's apart from the 1972 Beetle and 1987 Mini on the driveway, but they don't count as they are classic cars!)
    Anyone that owns a Beetle is ok with me. If you ever want to sell it am your woman!

The Beetle belongs to my 20 year old son - currently it has no wiring, one 'eye' and is lots of different colours (filler, rust, undercoat, green, black, white). He promises me that one day it will look beautiful again - apparently it was originally 70's blaze orange but is now Porsche green.
    I do like it but it clutters up the drive a bit, especially as we now have the Mini as well, courtesy of my 18 year old son. It looks in much better nick but has a serious oil leak ATM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    8k? A kia Picanto comes in at 4195 base price, or a Chevrolet Matiz at 4315. Or if you want something a bit funky, a Smart fortwo pure starts at 4562, with the scrappage scheme. (Yes, I know, if you are anything but a single person this isn't plausible, just pointing out 8k is quite a lot....)
    Quite alot for a town run around.... try getting a family car or an estate.

Those cars wouldn't exactly be top of my list if I had to chop in my 11 year old Marea Estate either.

Not exactly helping the UK car market either, Chevvy or Kia arent exectly from round these parts!
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 28th April 2009 at 10:41 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    If you bought any of your suggestions i reckon you'd be staying single too!

Quote Originally Posted by dave.81 View Post
    This is just another useless idea from them... people who drive cars that are 10+ years old do so because they a) cant afford a new car b) aren't stupid enough to buy a new car.

I wasnt going to be buying a new car this year, and guess what, im still not. 2k off something which will lose 4k as soon as i drive off the forecourt is still a bum deal. The only people who will buy new this year are the people who were going to do it anyway, regardless of what incentives there are.

On the 10 year help the environment thing; my car is pushing on 17 years old and is still going strong. Its just a "normal" car but its been looked after. I fail to see how replacing it with a brand new tin can car, which will most likely be ready for the scrap heap in 5-7 year, can benifit anything!
    Last edited by j17sparky; 28th April 2009 at 10:51 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    OK, one person with a car over 10 years :P
    Not quite, mine was just coming up to 19 years old when I had to replace it in November. (I still miss her sometimes..)

Maybe it says something about IT professionals.

Thank Post
    My car is eligible, its of a 1994 'vintage', scraped through its MOT last weekand is worth about 400
    But just LOL @ me buying a new car. LOL @ me ever having 5k+ to blow on a car or wanting to get finance. No thanks! Most Ive ever spent on one was 3k and that was in my young stupid days

Bangers for me, I dont drive much, emissions arnt too bad, and I save the energy and resources required to manufacture a new car. Plus it doesnt have any stupid on board computers to bleep at me and tell me to take it for an expensive service

Sorry motor industry, but Im not helping bail you out. Perhaps you shouldnt have ramped up production to such ridiculous levels leaving you with thousands of unsold cars?
    Last edited by sidewinder; 28th April 2009 at 11:25 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast