+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, How many ICT Technicians at your School??? in General; Just a suggestion, but perhaps we should be thinking more in terms of networked devices rather than just PC's Then ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just a suggestion, but perhaps we should be thinking more in terms of networked devices rather than just PC's

Then I go up to 173:0.6, taking into account all of the managed switches, projectors, Wap's, printers and my iPod touch that I can control kids mice with whilst standing on the other side of the room.

Perhaps also different software packages?

My point is that it's not as simple as just Desktops/laptops anymore
    Last edited by Mr. Ben; 28th April 2009 at 02:24 PM.

Thank Post
    Actually totally agree with 'Mr. Ben' on that one...

I think the main thing that takes up my time is projectors normally down to staff not being able to read instructions :P

Although i have no idea where that would take are ratio most likely to the 300 mark as we have like entire site covered by wireless etc

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just worked it out. If I support 130 with 0.6 then it's 216:1 on pc's, if it's 173:0.6 then it's 283:1 on networked devices.

That puts me in the realms of an efficient network

I shall have to mention that at my review :-)
    Last edited by Mr. Ben; 28th April 2009 at 02:25 PM.

Thank Post
    my school currently has 600+ pcs and about 250 laptops, 40 switches, 9 windows servers and 2 linux boxes. 1440 students and 220 staff.

myself and Max, the technician.

we are generally too busy

Thank Post
    It's not so much the PC:Support Staff problem, it's all the additional things you have to do AS WELL as support the computers.

Take for example this morning's one - head has put presentation together and wants to show it in assembly. We are told we have to click through the presentation. He's not the only one in here that does that...

ICT Support staff always end up having to do training for things like IWB's, VLE's, the latest software from each department and suchlike.

None of the BECTA cack factors this in, and on none of the BSF info I've seen so far is this taken into account for the phone-call of "er, I'm in Room X and I can't get my screen on". One 'technician' is required for turning things off and on apparently, nothing more - everything else will be remotely handled.
    Yeah... right... like reconfiguring network switches that have corrupted and hopped onto VLANS taking them off the main network, checking drives in servers that are failing in RAID arrays, pandering to every member of staff's urgent curriculum needs and file modification from Office 2007 to 2003 format before an urgent presentation they forgot about.

There's myself (NM), full time paid Technician, full time training Technician (who is on a placement here), about to have a voluntary trainee a few days a week unpaid also to gain some work experience. Between the four of us, we have days when we're flat out trying to do everything and days when we get to take stock, document, prepare and plan. We're supporting about 350 PC's, 25-ish switches and routers, 9-ish servers (currently moving to virtualisation from physical systems), about 60 classrooms, 1200 kids, 100 staff.

Thank Post
    This is a major issue in school, being asked to non techinical things. We flat refused and put it to them like this "if you want the real techinical stuff to fail and not be looked into, then yes I will press next for you, if you want that stuff to work so learning can continue, then get a student to do this for you or spend 15 on a presentation device"

can'o'worms.

Quote Originally Posted by tsky View Post
    It's not so much the PC:Support Staff problem, it's all the additional things you have to do AS WELL as support the computers.

Take for example this morning's one - head has put presentation together and wants to show it in assembly. We are told we have to click through the presentation. He's not the only one in here that does that...

ICT Support staff always end up having to do training for things like IWB's, VLE's, the latest software from each department and suchlike.

None of the BECTA cack factors this in, and on none of the BSF info I've seen so far is this taken into account for the phone-call of "er, I'm in Room X and I can't get my screen on". One 'technician' is required for turning things off and on apparently, nothing more - everything else will be remotely handled.
    Yeah... right... like reconfiguring network switches that have corrupted and hopped onto VLANS taking them off the main network, checking drives in servers that are failing in RAID arrays, pandering to every member of staff's urgent curriculum needs and file modification from Office 2007 to 2003 format before an urgent presentation they forgot about.

There's myself (NM), full time paid Technician, full time training Technician (who is on a placement here), about to have a voluntary trainee a few days a week unpaid also to gain some work experience. Between the four of us, we have days when we're flat out trying to do everything and days when we get to take stock, document, prepare and plan. We're supporting about 350 PC's, 25-ish switches and routers, 9-ish servers (currently moving to virtualisation from physical systems), about 60 classrooms, 1200 kids, 100 staff.

Thank Post
    Approx 900 PCs, 30 Macs, 8 Windows Servers, 1 Mac Server, 36 switches, 50 odd WAPs.
    1700 kids, 150ish staff.

IT Staff - NM, Myself, 2 technicians, 1 classroom support, 1 primary liason. So essentially 4 people that can respond to problems

Thank Post
    1200 students; about 110 staff (excluding those who dont use the network e.g. dinnerladies, cleaners)
    Coming on for 600 machines and another 65 thin clients
    9 servers
    Approx 60 projector/sound installations
    CCTV system with 15ish cameras

1 NM - full time
    1 technician - full time
    1 assistant technician (me) - part time

Things have always been mad but improving recently as we've brought out newer hardware which doesn't die so often. Also a bit of staff education - we gave them all an A5 "crib sheet" on troubleshooting projectors, and now encourage them to email rather than phone so the workload is managed better.

@OP - i thought teachers weren't allowed to manage the network as part of their 'workload agreement'? (though it has to be said, it doesn't stop one of ours from trying....)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm currently sorting out all of the Templates for reports, mainly because none of the teaching staff want to do it.

I don't mind though, it's got me out of lessons all day!

Also about 120 software packages to administer.
    Last edited by Mr. Ben; 28th April 2009 at 02:30 PM.

Thank Post
    It has certainly been an eye opener moving into the realm of Education. I'm amazed at what poor students most of the Teachers become when you ask them to read something IT related - amazing!?

Thanks for all the responses Guys.

Thank Post
    We have 6 servers, 20+ Switches, 70 Printers, 270ish computers, 20ish IWB's and until revenly just me! Now there are 1.5 of us! Still it's slightly better.

Actually one of the biggest problem is the amount of time spent on problems that could easilly be solved if the person in question used the help!

Thank Post
    We HAD a team of 4 that were purely Network / IT Support. We've now gone down in size - one tech moved sideways into Project Manager's position. The other retired, leaving a team of 2... however, at the same time my role expanded into sound / lighting / video production / recording studio tech, and the other fella (the NM) is a member of SLT, so between us, we have the effective time of a single technician... we've just hired another to replace our retiree tho, so hopefully that should smooth things over n' make `em a bit less stressful.

1200 kids, 180 staff, 600 Windows Clients (wired / wireless / desktop / laptop), 15x MACs, pile o' servers.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123