+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Wikipedia Ownership in General; Without going into detail, someone has created a wikipedia page on the village our school is in. She has added ...

Thank Post

Wikipedia Ownership

Without going into detail, someone has created a wikipedia page on the village our school is in. She has added a few sentences about the school, which we are not happy about. We have removed them but she keeps inserting them.
    As our school doens't have its own wikipedia site, if we were to create one, are we then the owner of the article and we can stop any additions she makes?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nope, its a collaberative effort

Thank Post
    Are the sentances fact, fiction, opinion or deformation?

If it's something like "I hated my time at this school" there's nothing more you could do.
    If it's something like "This school is rubbish" you could probably force a change of words
    If it's somethink like "Do not go to this school - they're idiots - hate kids - don't teach properly" then you could probably get her removed.

Depending on the circumstance and what was being said I'd be inclined to contact her and discuss it.

Thank Post
    Can we get a link?

Thank Post
    Ok.
    This women is retired and was a librarian. She has no links to the school but found some bad information in the press (which is true) but its bad publicity for the school.
    Our worry is that if we create an article on the school, she will then add that information to it - which we definitely don't want.
    We've been in contact with her about the current article and her argument is that as the info is correct, she is acting in the public interest to provide the information

stu
    Thank Post
    i would add to the artical she has written stating how the school used this situation to change policies or improve the area referred to and that have since had a heightened awareness of this problem / potential for this problem and that the matter was resolved

Thank Post
    Thanks.
    Yeah we added a section on some positives about the school. Then it was actually her who added a section about Ofsted saying how the school had changed policies etc. The said event was actually in the 70's !!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    Are the sentances fact, fiction, opinion or deformation?

If it's something like "I hated my time at this school" there's nothing more you could do.

You can still get it removed as it is a point of view (or put as POV on wikipedia). We had HUGE problems with our wikipedia entry & were forced to jump through their hoops to get someone to look at the article. Once you get into the know of what terms to use & how to phrase requests it is easier but it is still a pain.

Once a page is up you have no control over it and if you suggest anything then you often get a huge backlash that it is the organisation trying to control the information and that you have no right.

stu
    Thank Post
    Due to time scale and the fact you have been noted to have acted on the incident I don't think you need worry much about the bad publicity,

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ok, the way wikipedia works is this - anything is allowed in so long as it is sourced and truthful. It doesn't matter if it is postivie or negative. However, it also has to be written about in a neutral manner - ie. emotive language is not allowed. I have edited there quite a lot, so if you'd like me to take a look and have a wander through to see if there's anything odd, send me a PM.

Thank Post
    Experience from another school where bizzarely they created the entry in wikipedia about the school but it constantly got vandalised by pupils and ex-pupils (although i don't think they experienced an axe-wielding librarian), subsequently the network manager was tasked with constantly monitoring it and ammending where necessary (appropriate use of time..?Mmm..). The school had editorial rights removed on the article by wikipedia due to 'consistant editorial abuse' even though they were the originator, so be careful if you don't get into this crazy situation.

Thank Post
    As Wikipedia is an online collaborative source you can log on and alter the article every time she makes an adjustment.

You can also petition the admins to block her account from editing the article.

This would of-course not stop her from editing it as a non-logged in user or under another account.

Thank Post
    OK, thanks.
    She has now created an article on the school - big OUCH !!
    How do we get her blocked from editing our article ??
    Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by karldenton View Post
    OK, thanks.
    She has now created an article on the school - big OUCH !!
    How do we get her blocked from editing our article ??
    Thanks
    It's not your article. It belongs to everybody. She has as much right to edit it as you do.
    Here's what wikipedia says bout resolving disputes:

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Resolving_disputes]Wikipediaispute resolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Thank Post
    you might want to consider if the wikipedia article appears in a common search for your school - if it doesn't then it doesn't really exist to the world and you don't have to worry about it

regards

Simon

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast