+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Helpdesk/Call log levels in General; In regards to logging of jobs do you guys log ALL calls? As per usual management here are totally disconnected ...
    Unvalidated User
    Thank Post

Helpdesk/Call log levels

In regards to logging of jobs do you guys log ALL calls?

As per usual management here are totally disconnected from the realitys of my job and to say I am behind in jobs is an understatement, especially since my assistant has been on the sick for over 2 months now.

Now I usually only log jobs that take more than 10 mins but this doesnt really help me get the message across to frustrated staff that there is a large queue. Its often along the lines of "[sigh] I know your busy" (often aka you lazy git get out of the server room etc. IMO)

Also what is 10 mins doesnt always work out, I tell them a job is going to be logged ill be back. However I try to get the quick jobs out the way almost instantly or people would always be waiting as im understaffed and management are not interested in my moaning.

Even thinking about letting them log their own jobs, then they can see the list!

Thank Post
    We log all calls from the pain in the a**es, and calls are automaticly logged by email (regardless of length).

We also log calls that as you say take longer than the minimal amount of time (10mins in your case).

3. Thanks to mossj from:

blacksheep (24th April 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
    In regards to logging of jobs do you guys log ALL calls?

As per usual management here are totally disconnected from the realities of my job and to say I am behind in jobs is an understatement, especially since my assistant has been on the sick for over 2 months now.
    I'm afraid you're shooting yourself in the foot if you don't log all calls - management will be disconnected because you're not telling them what's going on! Your management could be the best in the world but if they can't see what you're doing then they'll never know that your'e snowed under.

If your logging system is taking more than 30 seconds to record what you've done (changed a password, added printer credits - quick things) then you need a new logging system (although I accept that changing just now is probably too much pain)

If you possibly can let staff log jobs themselves then do it and definitely let them see the queue. People who don't work in IT generally don't understand that you can fix things without being seen do to anything. Some IT fixes need you to actually visit a machine and get a screwdriver out but most don't so people think you're "doing nothing" when you're actually working like mad to try and keep things going.

Job logging systems are not there to make your life hard - they're there for all sorts of reasons and one of them is so that people can see that you really are busy and you really are getting lots of things done!

5. Thanks to srochford from:

Thank Post
    I will be releasing a free open source, web based helpdesk system after the summer holidays, which includes:

*helpdesk
    *ban Manager
    *booking system

It hooks into AD as well, I already have a release but its not easy for a basic user to edit, so new release in September.

7. 2 Thanks to irsprint84:

Hightower (24th April 2009), Oops_my_bad (25th April 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by irsprint84 View Post
    I will be releasing a free open source, web based helpdesk system after the summer holidays, which includes:

*helpdesk
    *ban Manager
    *booking system

It hooks into AD as well, I already have a release but its not easy for a basic user to edit, so new release in September.
    I'd be interested in testing if you require it?
    I have seperate systems in use for helpdesk and booking but neither are amazing - definately interested in something better or potentially customisable

Thank Post
    My helpdesk is quite quiet at the moment. If its a job to do I will log it on the helpdesk. Other than that it just log everything I do in a day inc the little things.

10. Thanks to karldenton from:

Unvalidated User
    Thank Post
    Management are not really that interested, not my line manager anyway. I just get the impression they are telling me what they need to fob me off when I complain about how busy the place is and they are not too interested in looking at the job system.

However when they give me the "I want x done NOW" attitude I print off the list of jobs and give it to them. I told them they need to engage theirselves with the job system to get some sort of idea of what is going on, they will just agree blah blah, and most likely forget about it when I go out the door!

I asked them to put me full time (i am term time) but lots of excuses, so I have come to the conclusion that I just need to make everyday staff aware of how much is on and not get frustrated about it, easier said than done and when you like to do a good job!

I agree I will log the whole lot, at least I have that to standby when anything happens and just make everything helpdesk centered.

I am using "My little helpdesk" which is good.

I have come to the conclusion there is only one solution really, maybe not just yet though nice big hol coming up soon

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    I'd be interested in testing if you require it?
    I have seperate systems in use for helpdesk and booking but neither are amazing - definately interested in something better or potentially customisable

I ve had a fully working v1 of it in use for a while but its hard for a general user to install, so just moving v1 to a more customizable and managable v2, thanks anyway! just not had much time ot touch it lately but got 7 weeks summer and no budget, so plenty of time ot sort out then!

Thank Post
    Also it allows them to log the job and for myself to update them if I have it in hand, or comment on it.

Edit: also alolws staff to see when people were banned, why and where and when it will be re-instated, saves people moaning to me when they re unbanned.
    Last edited by irsprint84; 24th April 2009 at 01:08 PM.

Unvalidated User
    Thank Post
    Nice to hear how others get on with their helpdesk and staff attitudes.

Was going to code my own some time back but being a bit unhappy here decided it wasnt worth the time.
    Would of been fun to do one in php.

Thank Post
    We don't need log the jobs - the staff do!

If we had to log all of their jobs that were sent via e-mail, passed on in the corridor it would take longer to log the job then it would to fix the issue. If its not on the system it doesn't get done. Telephone jobs are slightly different as these are for urgent jobs and only if it is affecting the learning and teaching of students.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Log EVERYTHING

Not just as a record of what you have done but its really handy to have a record of how you resolved issues in case the same thing comes up and you have the "Hmm I remember this happening before but can't remember what I did" moment. Also having a list of issues for each machine can flag up patterns.

I use Spiceworks for my helpdesk and staff log their own issues. I keep the ticket updated so staff can log in a see progress on their issue.

Thank Post
    There are many reasons to have a helpdesk :....

If you are working a busy and demanding school and lots of jobs are coming how do you track where you are with each one, how do you prioratise the more urgent over the silly "i would like it if...."

How do you show management just how busy you are? how do you identify the need for user training?

A decent helpdesk will do this and much much more, also having a standards compliant, FITS or ITIL, helpdesk will help you to achieve a smarter, responsive, and respected support department while at the same time promoting more happier and helpfull teaching staff.

You may laugh but I have seen this in many schools the before and after with staff seeming to be much happier as requests for help are being responded to much more efficently and with quicker resolution as you can indeed build up a working knowledge base that staff and support staff can use.

Self help is a wonderfull tool but remeber not all staff will come round to using a helpdesk from the start and it does take time but when they do, it just works.

Just remember to get the one thats right for you.

Hope this helps

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread