+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Caretakers wlan in General; You should use AD to lock down you own wireless settings. You can't attack someone else's network to get them ...

Thank Post
    You should use AD to lock down you own wireless settings. You can't attack someone else's network to get them to change something. If it wasn't your caretaker it could just as easily be another neighbor or even a students cell phone that has tethering enabled on it. Point being you need to do the right thing and that is protect your students using your technology in a legal way.

Unvalidated User
    Thank Post
    The caretakers house is on school ground, making his house a council owned house.

IMO I do think he has to abide to the school network policy and he has been offered technical help too.
    I can see how he would take it as an insult. I havent told him to do anything as I am quite aware (from other staff!) that it could turn into a war and as management here are rather good at the art of delegating things they should be doing, I wasnt going to get into that
    I have just been transparent about the implications and shown him a few laptops. It has taken a few weeks but last night he has switched to WPA Hopefully nothing will change as he has yet to setup all the clients as he said he hasnt got access to them all (his kids have!) (Hopefully wpa capable nics)

So how do you guys deal with pupils bringing laptops in or IPhones etc... ? Know here is something I have had to lock down my wlan settings for, although nobody has setup a dhcp server on a peer to peer network here yet Not as worrying as external internet access though. I spoke to the old head who left a while ago, he said they were banned.. I thought ffs open your eyes
    Last edited by blacksheep; 1st May 2009 at 09:04 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
    IMO I do think he has to abide to the school network policy and he has been offered technical help too.
    But if it's his own private broadband connection it's nothing to do with the school network and thus nothing to do with its policy.

Treat it as if it were any other property which neighbours the school, over which you have no influence.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,930 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
    So how do you guys deal with pupils bringing laptops in or IPhones etc... ? Know here is something I have had to lock down my wlan settings for, although nobody has setup a dhcp server on a peer to peer network here yet Not as worrying as external internet access though. I spoke to the old head who left a while ago, he said they were banned.. I thought ffs open your eyes
    We have an authenticated network - devices only work if they are on our allow list (their MAC address), which then adds them to the appropriate VLAN.

The thing is, you're not going to be able to stop rogue devices allowing bridges to be formed unless you implement some form of Network Access Protection, and possibly something like Aruba's rogue device blocking system. And these can cost a fair amount of money.

Unvalidated User
    Thank Post
    We have an authenticated network - devices only work if they are on our allow list (their MAC address), which then adds them to the appropriate VLAN.
    Have 2 Vlans here but they are linked to SSIDs. All protected by WPA with a large random key so not worried about that (havent setup mac lists as I am confident nobody will break the WPA code, and yes mac lists help but I dont see the need yet plus that can be sniffed if they were to go as far as hacking WPA although admittedly is extra cover).
    What I saying was the same problem of the pupils figuring out how to alter wlan settings on laptops leaves me with no choice to lock em down! ie. They could then try to connect to any wlan device like their pda, laptop etc.. (and usually bugger up the school wlan settings doing it)
    rogue devices allowing bridges to be formed
    How? Theyd need authentication with the main network

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post
    But if it's his own private broadband connection it's nothing to do with the school network and thus nothing to do with its policy.

Treat it as if it were any other property which neighbours the school, over which you have no influence.
    If it's school property, it might (not from UK so not a expert on the law) matter actually. I would see it no differnt than a teacher getting a internet service installed directly into their classroom and using that (and yes i know that should never be able to happen... but you will be surpised what can happen).

Unvalidated User
    Thank Post
    manglement said, "yes it is school property" not that they done much but that was mentioned.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123