+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, It was me .. I did it in General; It appears that Rooney has forgiven Ronaldo but I have to say it took an extremely effective apology from Ronaldo ...

Thank Post

Re: It was me .. I did it

It appears that Rooney has forgiven Ronaldo but I have to say it took an extremely effective apology from Ronaldo before he would do so. According to Rooney, "Dat Ronnie la is now me bitch!!"

8O

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts

Maybe you'd prefer Grumbly?

And the Welsh weren't necessarily Scottish - after all, Scots and Irish Gaelic are very close but Welsh is very different and is similar to Breton and Cornish

Cymru Am Byth :P

Thank Post

Welsh, Cornish, Manx and Brettons were one celtic group (or tribe if you will) who were also spread throughout England but were pushed westwards following invasion by Angles and Saxons. Scotland inhabited by Picts (small, dark etc). Southern Irish another group. The Scots were a tribe from N. Ireland who spread over to Western and Northern Scotland. The original language of Cumbria was welsh (hence "Cumbria") and for many years was part of the kingdom of Strathclyde.

The Vikings and Romans then went and spoiled it all!!!!

Thank Post

a 1, 2,
    a 1, 2, 3, 4 ...

You're not winking.
    You're not winking.
    You're not winking anymore!
    [pause]
    You're not winking an-y-more!

OK perhaps not quite as poetic as Barrett-Browning's original Sonnets to The Portuguese but conveying much more emotion I think

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SteveT
    Welsh, Cornish, Manx and Brettons were one celtic group (or tribe if you will) who were also spread throughout England but were pushed westwards following invasion by Angles and Saxons. Scotland inhabited by Picts (small, dark etc). Southern Irish another group. The Scots were a tribe from N. Ireland who spread over to Western and Northern Scotland. The original language of Cumbria was welsh (hence "Cumbria") and for many years was part of the kingdom of Strathclyde.

The Vikings and Romans then went and spoiled it all!!!!
    The 'germanic push' theory has never really stood up for me ... the expansion has proven to be smaller than was originally thought, and the low percentage of Celtic DNA match in large areas of anglo-saxon england tends to show that unless there was mass genocide within England of Celts (of which there is no archeological evidence) there weren't that many here ... something that there should have been if the 'germanic push' theory is to hold.

Also, the Manx strain of the celtic language is from the same family as that of the irish and scots (Goidelic)... and there is still samples of this in North Wales (particular Anglesey in place names) that match the same strain rather than the Bretton / Cornish / Welsh strain (Brythonic).

Part of the problem with the migration theories that abound today is that it has only been in the last 20 years that significant research between cross-discipline groups has taken place... linguists working with archeologists, DNA pathologists working with geologists... and so on. A large number of previous theories have been taken from the historical facts and legends as written by early christians in Ireland based around oral tradition. By tracking these oral traditions in the settling places of celtic tribes you can see duplication of stories and legends.

Not that it matters much... the Isle of Man is just a viking outpost anyway...

Another strange things was when I was talking to a sales drone on the phone the other week, she thought I was a gog (north wales type) who had tried to get rid of his accent. When I pointed out that I was a plastic scouser (Wirral) she was shocked... and asked how long I lived in Wales for... and would not accept "never" as an answer.

Thank Post

You been doing your impersionations again Tony........?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by tosca925
    Nah, Tony`s from Birkenhead ........... common as muck them, not like us posh ones from New Brighton!!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tosca925
    Nah, Tony`s from Birkenhead ........... common as muck them, not like us posh ones from New Brighton!!!
    Nowt common about me mate ... I'm an Old Anselmian (actually a scholarship boy ... so not so much common ... more 'salt of the earth')

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook

Nowt common about me mate ... I'm an Old Anselmian (actually a scholarship boy ... so not so much common ... more 'salt of the earth')
    Snap!!!! Small world!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook

Snap!!!! Small world!!
    Old Anselmian?

very small world ...

taken to PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information