+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Unfair!!!! in General; ...
    Thank Post

Unfair!!!!

Why do we bother going to University and going into IT for a meagre salary? I ask this because I have just found out that my brother-in-law earns £45,000 a year putting traffic cones out! I wouldn't mind so much but he has no qualifications, a convicted drug dealer, thief and is always fighting!

He earns more than my wife and I combined, has a mortgage which is half of ours and he still moans he can't afford to live. He receives around £150 a week from his mother 'to get by' as he's always saying he's 'skint', what a load of crap!

Sorry for the rant, having just found out his salary has 'miffed' me a little!

Thank Post
    Yup! Life stinks.

I feel for you as you have every right to feel aggrieved.

I wish there was a way to cheer you up on this one, but I am afraid it just boils down to...

"Life stinks!"

Thank Post
    Are you sure he's telling you the truth? My Mrs works in the public sector, so I have been known to mooch about on public sector job boards, and I certainly never saw "cone putter" at 45k! Perhaps he has revitalised his old enterpreneurial career as a sideline?

Thank Post
    Good point TN.

My brother is a “Successful Banker”, but lives in the worst home of all the family.

He has either bought an Island off Spain or he has been telling porkies!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    and I certainly never saw "cone putter" at 45k! Perhaps he has revitalised his old enterpreneurial career as a sideline?
    Not but it's probably one of these jobs where there's a fortune to be made from doing overtime and antisocial hours.

Thank Post
    I wouldn't personally want a job where i had to stand in the way of traffic traveling very fast to be honest.

Chris

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    I wouldn't personally want a job where i had to stand in the way of traffic traveling very fast to be honest.

Chris
    I don't think I would mind it - not very often you hear of road workers getting hit. That's why there's reduced speed limits where works are going on, and average speed cameras.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KWestos View Post
    Why do we bother going to University and going into IT for a meagre salary? I ask this because I have just found out that my brother-in-law earns £45,000 a year putting traffic cones out! I wouldn't mind so much but he has no qualifications, a convicted drug dealer, thief and is always fighting!

He earns more than my wife and I combined, has a mortgage which is half of ours and he still moans he can't afford to live. He receives around £150 a week from his mother 'to get by' as he's always saying he's 'skint', what a load of crap!

Sorry for the rant, having just found out his salary has 'miffed' me a little!
    either he's got several children in which case he possibly rakes in a fair old wedge in tax credits, or if he's not including tax credits income then he's possibly earning that total with a little help from overtime payments. It's not unknown for those working on the highways to take home considerable salaries after overtime is included.

you do make a serious point about your pay rewards for pursuing a highly technical career. what i would say though is that there is no hard and fast rule as regards IT salaries...you could have got a degree, joined a consultancy, worked your way up to senior consultant and then go self-employed earning considerable sums as an IT professional [thru a combination of hard work and luck]. But in general salaries for most graduates are somewhat disappointing....there's a lot of competition and we haven't really seen wage inflation in the previous years. That's why you and your missus need to work, in years gone by a single salary would have been enough to support an entire family and pay down a mortgage on a decent sized property. We're not even talking that long ago, and i'm hopeful we can possibly get to that stage soon so long as the public sector gets a good haircut, and asset prices continue to fall. This experiment of the dual income houshold, asset price inflation, and static wages has been a miserable failure. All it's achieved is lower expectations and deprive people of social mobility.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread