+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Talk about bad timing in General; How to alienate the public 101, I really can't see how the NUT could of picked a worse time the ...
    Thank Post

Talk about bad timing

How to alienate the public 101, I really can't see how the NUT could of picked a worse time the rest of the workforce is seeing record numbers of redundancies as the economy plummets and so the NUT demands a 10% pay rise. It leaves me speechless.

BBC NEWS | Education | Teachers demand 10% pay increase

Thank Post
    Further justification that teachers live in their own little world.

Thank Post
    It really does take the P***.
    What was the national average eventually accepted last year for Unison non-teaching members - about 4.5% or something? And that was before the current climate!

Who in their right mind would stand up infront of the country and demand a 10% rise for a job which is arguably getting easier (workforce reforms etc). I hope it gets thrown out and not even entertained. If the government can afford to even entertain the possibility then someone should give them a shaking and point out there are more deserving people to give it to.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    It really does take the P***.
    What was the national average eventually accepted last year for Unison non-teaching members - about 4.5% or something? And that was before the current climate!

Who in their right mind would stand up infront of the country and demand a 10% rise for a job which is arguably getting easier (workforce reforms etc). I hope it gets thrown out and not even entertained. If the government can afford to even entertain the possibility then someone should give them a shaking and point out there are more deserving people to give it to.
    local govt/council workers have been offered 0.5% for 2009-2010. when you say unison non-teaching are you talking about staff specifically in schools ?

Obviously 0.5% is shit, 2.3% or whatever it is for teaching assistants is shit. But, and this is a significant consoloation....it beats redundancy.

And anyway this is the new paradigm folks. High Inflation is being diverted away from wage packets, so while each year many people were effectively taking a paycut under this low inflation low interest rate era of no more boom and bust, you could take solace from the fact the high inflation that would have gone into wages went instead into inflating the assets of the wealthy. Ofcourse ordinary mr and mrs smiths saw inflation in the surge in value of the bricks and mortar they owned...however mr and mrs smith had debts, and those debts don't get any smaller when deflating wages becomes coupled with deflation in the wider economy. the debts don't deflate.

now eveything's heading south, a bit like japanese export numbers. so yeah, i don't blame the teachers for trying, but the reality is no-ones going to get 10% wage inflation unless they have a time machine and can transport themselves back to a period when unions wielded a very big stick.

Thank Post
    Well if things are that much better abroad then why dont they bog off, more and more students and professionals are going into teaching profession at the moment looking for a safe haven given the current downturn so we wont be short of teachers in a year or 2 and most of these will be thankful to have a job.

Thank Post
    In the NUT conference debate, Michael Wrought-Brookes from North Yorkshire opposed the proposed pay demand, arguing that it would be wrong when people were being made redundant in their thousands.

He said it was folly to think standards of living in Britain could continue rising if world poverty were to be tackled in the way that the conference had just demanded in a separate debate.

"Britain has been stealing from the poor of the world for 500 years and is still doing it," he said.

"And asking for 10% is exactly that: it is stealing from the poor of the world."
    Give that man a medal!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad View Post
    Further justification that teachers unions live in their own little world.
    Fixed that for you.

In my school at least, only a few teachers genuinely believe they are underpaid, and those are the ones who don't quite have a grip on life. Most of the teachers I work with recognise that they are in a much better position than most people in the private sector right now.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    Fixed that for you.

In my school at least, only a few teachers genuinely believe they are underpaid, and those are the ones who don't quite have a grip on life. Most of the teachers I work with recognise that they are in a much better position than most people in the private sector right now.
    I'd have to agree with that in the school I'm at. The vast majority of our staff count their blessings and realise in the current climate they are doing pretty well.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,444 Posts
    we got 2.75% after the original 2.45% was taken to arbitration

Thank Post
    Some of our staff are refusing to go on strike even if the union demands it.. they say they can't justify the action. Good for them.

There's always one money-grabbing barstool in each union that has crazy ideas like this....

Thank Post
    Saw this last night and I may be wrong as it was extremely late, but I got the feeling it was just a debate exercise, not a serious proposal. Not knowing how these conferences work though I wasn't sure.

Ohh well, gave me a giggle!

Thank Post
    "But 'Miss X', a history teacher from Nottingham, is going to work in a private school in Kenya.

She told the conference that after four years in the profession she was earning just 26,000. "

Yes Miss X and after many years in racing, certain teams are still at the back of the grid. Is that because they are not as good as the ones in front, per chance?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Polski View Post
    "
    She told the conference that after four years in the profession she was earning just 26,000.
    I'd be quite happy to be earning that much just four years into my career.

But 'Miss X', a history teacher from Nottingham, is going to work in a private school in Kenya.
    At least then she might shut up and stop giving the profession a bad reputation. Whingebag.

(/me is in the middle of moving Facility CMIS to a new server, and isn't in the mood for )

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    Saw this last night and I may be wrong as it was extremely late, but I got the feeling it was just a debate exercise, not a serious proposal. Not knowing how these conferences work though I wasn't sure.

Ohh well, gave me a giggle!
    I think that's the best way to look at it - every Easter, the NUT get together and some of their weirder members come up with stupid demands. I don't know why they do it - there are lots of other things they could do to get more support for teachers (particularly in the current financial situation) but there are some union members who just live in a rather different world!

Thank Post

16. 2 Thanks to cookie_monster:

AngryTechnician (14th April 2009), matt40k (14th April 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast