+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Easter Work in General; We do all cabling ourselves except fibre, or any stupidly big projects (e.g. putting 70 points in a new computer ...

Thank Post
    We do all cabling ourselves except fibre, or any stupidly big projects (e.g. putting 70 points in a new computer room within a week). Experience with our local contractors isn't the best, we've found they cut corners - 2 years ago they put cabling in about 20 classrooms, most of that has had to be repaired in some way (vandalism isn't that bad in our school, other ports have been fine).

Although yes, if there is other stuff to be done and limited time then IMO it makes sense to get them in.

Thank Post
    Unless its a full IT Suite or fibre. we tend to do it ourselves here too.. Normal CAT5e/6 runs are done by our sparky - fibre runs by another company (NorComm IIRC)

Thank Post
    I've changed my mind, get people in

I only had one full reel and all but one cable doesn't work. I did rush and do it on Friday but the cables seem fine. Going to buy myself a tester and check the cables when I am back in next week. Can't believe the reel was faulty but you never know.

Really wanted to finish this work on Friday so I had a week playing with Sharepoint and tidying up my office. ho hum

Thank Post
    Well I've had a fun day. Hired the ICT Suite out to the Guides Association so I was able to come in and claim overtime. Managed to get loads done that I would normally do unpaid. and they left the place spotless.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73 View Post
    I do it because I enjoy it and its nice to have a break from sat at a computer all week, I always do the cabling here except when we have a full refit then the sparky does it.
    my sentiments exactly. If i wanted a job where i sit at a screen all day, save for the odd trip to the water cooler or the office copier, then i'd have no problem finding a job to reward me for being a serious IT person.

As it is, i love getting my drill out from time to time and getting my hands dirty. so good for you.

and then you go on ruin it, by giving up. wimp. ;0) i know what you mean though....sometimes it's just easier to get someone in if the job becomes less about variety and more about hassle.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73 View Post
    I've changed my mind, get people in

I only had one full reel and all but one cable doesn't work. I did rush and do it on Friday but the cables seem fine. Going to buy myself a tester and check the cables when I am back in next week. Can't believe the reel was faulty but you never know.

Really wanted to finish this work on Friday so I had a week playing with Sharepoint and tidying up my office. ho hum
    Damn you, you've just proved bossman's point!

Have done the odd few points.. but don't make a habit of it. It really isn't cost effective when it all goes tits up.

Kyle

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    Tend to do all my own work, much easier for me to do it and breaks up the other work we have to do Also going to do my own fibre work as pre-terminated stuff is cheap enough now and if your careful which I will be having dealt with it before it should be good

Thank Post
    We always get a company in to do our data points. They charge by the day and not per point, so it costs as long as they think it's going to take. They're very efficient, I've had them do quite a lot of work in the 8 months I've been at the school, jobs that would have taken me weeks are completed by them in a few days to a good standard, and the best bit is that all the work is tested and guarunteed for 15 years by the company, so any problems they come back and fix it! They also give me a copy of the teste data for my records.

Mike

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    We always get a company in to do our data points. They charge by the day and not per point, so it costs as long as they think it's going to take. They're very efficient, I've had them do quite a lot of work in the 8 months I've been at the school, jobs that would have taken me weeks are completed by them in a few days to a good standard, and the best bit is that all the work is tested and guarunteed for 15 years by the company, so any problems they come back and fix it! They also give me a copy of the teste data for my records.

Mike
    Which company is it that you use out of interest?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    Which company is it that you use out of interest?
    The comanie's called ADM computing in Canterbury, literally just down the road from our school, but they'll goto pretty much anywhere in the Kent/Sussex area.

Welcome to ADM Computing - Complete IT Solutions in Kent - Microsoft Certified Gold Partner

Give Jason Bramley a call there if you're interested, and tell him Mike from Spires Academy recommended him.

Mike
    Last edited by maniac; 5th April 2009 at 11:32 PM.

11. Thanks to maniac from:

Soulfish (5th April 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well i will not be cabling in the holidays.

I will be setting up Moodle on a new server and having a be revamp including a new theme and LDAP.

I will be playing with Websense 7

Replacing some workstations in offices with laptop docking stations

Setting up Promissor exam software - Oh the joy!

Website development

Probably add some more on the list

Thank Post
    I don't do cabling - simply don't have the time.

Would like to do it though based on past experience of several suppliers. What's the old saying - if you want a job done properly do it yourself? Bringing it in house would make things alot more flexible!

Butuz

Thank Post
    Just to update, the cabling was fine (perfect actually) i was a dying switch that hated me and made second guess myself. Slapped in a new Netgear switch and they all burst into life.

Now to hoover up, put up some screens and enoy a long weekend over Easter.

Thank Post
    SDS drills are incredible.
    Watch out when you come out the other side though as they can take half the wall with them.

Thank Post
    If your cable comes in a big box (I got mine off a sparky who knew there was little left!), don't forget to write on the box how much you cut off the real each time.

I am sure the sparky had crawled along some in-accessible space just to realise he was three metres short, before he started recording the usage!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast