+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Taking on an Apprentice in General; Previous student placements ... First now with Barclaycard Second now working for Spuffmonkey Third now back at the school but ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Previous student placements ...

First now with Barclaycard
    Second now working for Spuffmonkey
    Third now back at the school but training to be a teacher
    Fourth is back at Uni finishing her course
    Fifth at the school still.

If you are going down the apprenticeship route have a chat with Zenos about possible Level 2/3 courses that can be funded by Govt Grants. They'll be coming along to the next Northants IT Managers' Meeting to talk about training and they have a number of good things to talk about.

Thank Post
    We are looking for someone aged 18 really
    My worry is that an employer that has no idea about the age discrimination act that became law back in 2006, would be shoddy and ignore other laws such as health and safety

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by michael2k6 View Post
    Hi all,

I can see what you're saying about the age thing and the 6th formers - but use it as something to split two equal people by rather than an essential quality.

Again very very illegal. You cannot seperate people on age full stop (unless you have a officially recognised reason e.g sale of alcohol, work in a bar etc), its the same rules for sex or race.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Folks ... read the title of the thread.

Taking on an apprentice.

Before people start throwing around about age discrimination I suggest you go and find out what DCSF and DIUS classify as an apprentice and how it links in with Education, Employment and Training, with 14-19 funding and actually understand what is going on.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by redsnappa View Post
    My worry is that an employer that has no idea about the age discrimination act that became law back in 2006, would be shoddy and ignore other laws such as health and safety
    Yeah that may have been badly worded... I am fully aware of the age discrimination act, and in the past have actually had to use it to make sure I was getting fair pay (I'm 23 and my experience matched that of a 32 year old employee with the same job description but our pay was different).

When hiring an apprentice we are not going to be able to fund the training so are relying on the 16-19 funding. I don't actually have a problem with employing someone 16/17, but I started working in a school at 18, and found it very strange being the same age some of the students. Also, a friend of mine DID start working at a school at 16, and frequently got abuse (verbal AND physical) from the students there...

Thank Post
    I did a placement in 3rd year of uni - full time for a year, not at a school but very useful, learnt alot.

Bournemouth University students? Most courses are sandwhich courses. You can always get them in for a summer start to get used to things before kids come back. Average age of 20 - 21 I think in 3rd year if they went str8 to uni after sf/college

Bournemouth University | Facilities & Resources | Graduate Employment Service | Placement Administrators

The guy who I took over was utter ***p but the guy after me was pretty ok in the support side of things. I guess you weed the weak skilled ones out in the interview process.
    Last edited by Jiser; 2nd April 2009 at 12:49 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12