+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Air con running costs in General; Morning all, But of a wierd one, I am trying to justify replacing a suite of 30 machines and crts ...
    Thank Post

Air con running costs

Morning all,

But of a wierd one, I am trying to justify replacing a suite of 30 machines and crts with thin clients and tfts. I am showing all the energy/carbon savings etc and one of my justifications is that we wont need to purchase and air con unit for that it room as it gets very hot.

I have had a quote of between 6-8k in the past so i am going to base my figures on that i just need to know how much energy these use so i can tell them how much we will in theory be saving by not having the aircon

Cheers

Dan

Thank Post
    A larger rooms requires a more powerful aircon unit, but let's use an arbitrary figure of 3kWh for your average computer suite.

3 (Kilowattage) x 8 (hours per day) x 5 (days) x 40 (weeks) x 0.15 (electrical unit cost) = 720 per year.

Obviously change the above values to suit your needs. This site may also help in determining what BTU unit you need Room Air Conditioning Calculator

3. Thanks to fafster from:

DSapseid (30th March 2009)

Thank Post
    Brilliant thats just what i was after

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DSapseid View Post
    Brilliant thats just what i was after
    Obviously you'd need to research it a bit more, as I've made some pretty big assumptions which could sway the figures. We're going to need some aircon too, I think....

Thank Post
    No thats perfect i dont want the air con anyway i want to replace the existing desktops and crt screens with nice low heat tft and thin clients and the people here like to see figures about how much money stuff is going to cost/save they only want ballpark figures!

Thank Post
    If your using the latest very thin thin clients that use 4 - 6 watts (e.g. axel M70 / M80) - you'll not only save lots of electricity, and use lots less heat, have lots less noise in the classroom, you also get a 10 year (or more!) lifecycle on the thin clients and reduced managment time due to easily being able to install software on just one terminal server rather than 30 fat clients, and being able to manage all your thin clients through the thin client management software.

If course - you'll have to factor in the energy costs of the actual terminal server(s) into all your calculations but from my workings out even with the cost of the server infrastructure included you still save ~20% on initial purchase costs, and ~10% electricity etc. As electricity costs rise and rise the savings will become more apparent.

Butuz

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread