+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Last Day of Work in General; So for the past 6 months i've been brushing up on my tech skills at my old secondary school. nothing ...
    Thank Post

Last Day of Work

So for the past 6 months i've been brushing up on my tech skills at my old secondary school. nothing too taxing. creating users in Active Directory, using Ranger/VNC, changing passwords and software installs etc.
    Only problem is, the school is moving to a new site and outsourcing its technical team and because im only agency staff, my job is just out the window all together next year. but there is a light at the end of the tunnel!
    i just managed to get a permanent job in another school. while it may not be IT, i'll still be doing bits here and there. My new position will be Reprographics and A/V Technician.
    Just wanted to know if there are any other Repo/AV techs out there an if there's anything you come across on a daily basis that might prove to be a little taxing for me???
    Gonna miss being a Domain Admin tho
    Having so many rights and messing with so many peoples computers!....won't miss all the menial jobs tho!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,184 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Don't be in the least bit surprised if your existing skill set starts being used... befriend the NM/Tech and you could quite rapidly find yourself with a more technical job! Start by introducing them to edugeek!

Hope you enjoy the new job!

3. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

Miggy (27th March 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Don't be in the least bit surprised if your existing skill set starts being used... befriend the NM/Tech and you could quite rapidly find yourself with a more technical job! Start by introducing them to edugeek!

Hope you enjoy the new job!
    haha yeah im WAAAAAY ahead of you there. tried to get one of the other techs here a job as senior IT Tech but none of us have our MCP or are working towards an MCSE (think im moving to linux a little more :P)
    The only problem with that is, if i take on a bit of the IT stuff, when exam season hits (and reports are due too very soon) i'll have a shed load of Reprographics to take care of, the occasional bit of AV stuff and then whatever the IT crowd throw at me.
    they're training me to do the PAT testing too....so im looking at being an odd jobs man lol

rad
    Thank Post
    I think the "befriend the Network Team" is a good strategy. After all if you need help with software and stuff they can help you.

You may find that you get Admin rights, after all. You need stacks of space and priveleges to install software etc.

Also, I think if you tell them straight away you worked as a DC in another school they may see you as a threat. Go in calm act as though you have ICT skills and then open out later on!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 790 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd say be all means see where you can help, but at the same time I'd work on being as good as possible at your role.

If you throw yourself into repographics and AV, you'll find lots of places where the roles will overlap - and get involved that way - but if you neglect the role you were hired for, they'll be problems....

Thank Post
    Im IT Tech, Media Tech and sound and lighting(A/V Tech). Most of the A/V stuff is pretty trivial, unless it is to do with the stage production etc in the main hall, like me, then its a whole new ball game!

Sound desks, Mixers, lighting desks all pretty interesting stuff but can take a while to get your head around. The best part for me is I have a team of sound and light prefects which I manage and they all enjoy putting on the shows, charity performance plus it looks good on their UCAS apparantly?

All in all it has given me a new set of skills and widened my capabilities which is very handy in the current climate!

Thank Post
    so what you're saying is that on my first day, i should leave my copies of Backtrack and Hirens at home??
    I'll make a note of that :P
    Yeah the AV stuff I've been doing for years. got my diplomas in music, sound engineering, recording techniques etc that was one of the reasons they hired me. they're looking at renting the school out as a rehearsal space for bands aswell as other schools for theater productions. went and saw my digs, doesnt seem too taxing though! just have to test the water for the first month or so!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    and because im only agency staff, my job is just out the window all together next year. but there is a light at the end of the tunnel!
    I know the feeling - sadly my contract is "variable hours" and so the school can get rid of me or reduce my hours at the drop of a hat. Ho hum.

We work closely with the Reprographics staff, A/V is shared between us. There are things which overlap, so we tend to share going out to set things up, dealing with camera downloads etc. This can be very useful when four teachers want projectors/OHPs in four different halls come assembly time!

Perhaps once you're in your new role, and they know you have the experience, if there's ever a need for extra hours in IT in the future they know there's someone they can use?

Thank Post
    well, im in my new role. shadowing the reprographics technician for this week before she leaves and also the IT Tech (who has been more than accomodating!)
    Looking at their set up, I don't think I'd be allowed anywhere near the network without some form of IT qual's which is fair enough like.
    Reprographics seems to be pretty okay. IT have me changing printer cartridges, copying software and setting up projectors etc so im pretty occupied compared to my old job.
    Seems to be going pretty well though. Thanks for all the responses I've gotten back

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 790 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good luck!

remember a lot of people on here are pretty skilled in AV matters as well - so never hesitate in asking advice :-)

Thank Post
    oh don't worry, i wont! got me two diplomas in Music Recording/Production/Sound Engineering etc so all this stuff is pretty simple. Radio mic's and Mic Techniques.

Cheers anyways

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    haha yeah im WAAAAAY ahead of you there. tried to get one of the other techs here a job as senior IT Tech but none of us have our MCP or are working towards an MCSE (think im moving to linux a little more :P)
    The only problem with that is, if i take on a bit of the IT stuff, when exam season hits (and reports are due too very soon) i'll have a shed load of Reprographics to take care of, the occasional bit of AV stuff and then whatever the IT crowd throw at me.
    they're training me to do the PAT testing too....so im looking at being an odd jobs man lol
    PAT Testings a pain in the BUM! so dull

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread