+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, School eBay account in General; We have so much unused hardware in our storeroom that we could make a nice amount of money selling it ...
    Thank Post

School eBay account

We have so much unused hardware in our storeroom that we could make a nice amount of money selling it for spares (someone must want bits and pieces of printers that you can't buy anymore). We also find it invaluable to buy things from too.

Has anyone here got an ebay account for their school? What is the process about setting up/using it? We have bought a few things on personal accounts before for the school, however we do want to look at a proper account if possible.

We haven't submitted the proposal yet, as I wanted to see if there was anything we need to be aware of beforehand.

Thank Post
    We do, but it only became possible last year when school depts were given a credit card to use for online purchasing. I must say it has made purchasing a lot easier here and the added bonus of opening a paypal account linked to the card.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    For added security if your school has a paypal/ebay account you can get a verisign secure token from paypal.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/we...5nWIY253NYcvnx

Ben

4. Thanks to plexer from:

contink (25th March 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    if you start selling you could keep money in the paypal account until you want to buy from ebay and use the funds you have got there rather than keeping it in a school put where it might get knicked?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DAckroyd View Post
    if you start selling you could keep money in the paypal account until you want to buy from ebay and use the funds you have got there rather than keeping it in a school put where it might get knicked?
    I'd recommend avoiding that approach on the basis that Paypal had a history and the ability to close accounts with little or no recourse. I've always withdrawn anything over a 100 balance from Paypal on a regular basis to reduce any exposure in that regard.

It may be out of date thinking but it was certainly a worry a year or so back.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 761 Posts
    I would have thought that in doing this you would need to run everything by your Bursar. For starters, you almost certainly bought the equipment ex-VAT so if you are selling it on you need to pay VAT on it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm just using my account. Ran it past the bursar/office manager and she was fine with it as long as i obviously kept the proof. No one wanted my toners though. I should really try and shift them on here but am too lazy to sort the postage myself!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    For added security if your school has a paypal/ebay account you can get a verisign secure token from paypal.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/we...5nWIY253NYcvnx

Ben
    Didn't know about that but useful info... Thanks.

rad
    Thank Post
    We have an account and most people are fine and pay cash therefore saving fees. You get the odd nimwit who pays Paypal and then says he never got the item and starts a dispute.

It works both ways, but is a pain if the LEA block ebay.

Thank Post
    I think the VAT thing might cause you problems - I suggested the same thing a while ago and it sounded like a lot of hassle to keep it above board so didnt bother in the end.

Although someone at my place saif you wernt allowed to sell it at all - I'm not sure that's right - the school has paid for the equipment so has every right to sell it on surely as long as the VAT is sorted out?

Suppose you could always 'donate' old equipment to yourself, sell it personally on fleabay, and then make a completely unconnected 'donation' back to the school

Thank Post
    It's quite simple for your finance office to generate an invoice for an item which includes vat.

You just work out what you'd like to make for the item add on vat at the current rate and that's what the person needs to pay it's not complicated.

Ben

Thank Post
    The other good thing about those tokens is that as they are verisign ones they can be used with openid and other systems as well as paypal and ebay.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    And via Missionfish, if your school fund is a registered charity / you are a registered charity you can get your ebay fees back as well so its free to sell on ebay

Thank Post
    On a similar note which may be obvious etc - but I wonder if you will need permission from your chair of governors after all the governors should, in an ideal world be informed if any item is to be wrote off / skipped / removed from the school stock book before doing so.

I am not sure what auditors would think of the school selling things on ebay also, the LA auditors are pretty strict when they come here.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You should *not* leave the money in the PayPal pot to purchase more items as there needs to be a clear line of financial audit from order to payment. This would count as having an additional account or credit line outside of the school banking or finance system.

Sell or buy but make sure that money is moved in and out of the school ASAP.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast