+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, School eBay account in General; Originally Posted by GrumbleDook <Snip> sensible post<Snip> Just what the h3ll are you doing posting sensible stuff on your birthday? ...

Thank Post

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    <Snip> sensible post<Snip>
    Just what the h3ll are you doing posting sensible stuff on your birthday? Go on, down the pub with you!

Seriously though; I looked a little while back, and the newish FleaBay T&Cs require anyone selling as an entity rather than an individual to register a business type account. I sort of gave up when they needed an account that would make automatic payments to PayPal for transaction fees. Not been bitten myself, but I don't see our bean-counters going for that one.

May look into it again if the general feeling here is that it is do-able.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    On a similar note which may be obvious etc - but I wonder if you will need permission from your chair of governors after all the governors should, in an ideal world be informed if any item is to be wrote off / skipped / removed from the school stock book before doing so.
    I'm sure this can't be the case. If so we'd be on the phone constantly - "Hi, Chair of Governors, we've got an old keyboard which we'd like to chuck in the skip, is that alright?". Or the caretaker, "We've got an old table which needs thrown out, is that OK?".

I mean, sure, we keep records - so if our Beancounting department want to know where something is, we can tell them. Our kit database includes a "disposal method" field so we can detail if it was thrown in the skip, donated to someone, sold for a nominal fee, broken to parts, or sent to the recyclers. But I can't see how getting permission from the Governors would be needed (or logistically possible!).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As part of your asset policy you should specified disposal methods (IT kit disposed under WEEE, recycling, etc) and it is also handy if say things like 'value of 0-50 gets binned, value of 51-100 requires bursar sign off, value of 101+ requires Head's sign off, etc. Get it down on paper and governors to agree and it makes life easier. The values above are plucked out of the air but I think it would be handy to get opinions of what values members think should be assigned and whether you include age, damage or other depreciation factors on it too.

Thank Post
    I appreciate all the responses to this. We plan to put it forward in our annual proposals so of course the governing body and SMT would be made aware of it anyway. We know about VAT so that isn't a problem.

I assume having a paypal account with the school is "doable" - maybe having to get it set up with the bursar or are we able to just do that ourself? Bit of a grey area there for us..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dgsmith View Post
    I assume having a paypal account with the school is "doable" - maybe having to get it set up with the bursar or are we able to just do that ourself? Bit of a grey area there for us..
    I think were I in your shoes I would ensure that the school had a separate bank account that was used and linked purely for any paypal receipts or payments (ie: if you're buying items or covering paypal/ebay fees) would be drawn.

I've no idea if it's urban legend but there are instances reported where Paypal has drawn money from accounts over a dispute or chargeback so ringfencing the money in this way would be a prudent move. I certainly wouldn't link it to the main schools account or similar. Probably common sense and standard procedure but just a suggestion.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12