+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28
General Chat Thread, TES Forums ICT Expert Gettign A Hard Time! in General; The TES Forums have got an ICT Expert on board. I assume from his site he is an expert in ...
  1. #1

    Dos_Box's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Preston, Lancashire
    Posts
    9,843
    Thank Post
    583
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    23
    Rep Power
    627

    TES Forums ICT Expert Gettign A Hard Time!

    The TES Forums have got an ICT Expert on board. I assume from his site he is an expert in teaching, but their forum regulars don't seem too impressed!

    An expert in what, exactly ? - ICT - TES

    Ouch!

  2. #2
    apoth0r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    1,221
    Thank Post
    151
    Thanked 180 Times in 132 Posts
    Rep Power
    51
    Does he have an account on edugeek? :-)
    Edugeek > COPY > TES > PASTE

  3. #3

    GrumbleDook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gosport, Hampshire
    Posts
    9,930
    Thank Post
    1,337
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    594
    Terry is a nice bloke and perhaps it has been marketed badly by TES. Instead of 'expert' it should just by hot seat.

    And there are more trolls and sock puppets on the TES forums than your regular online group, so that doesn't help. And yes, it is aimed at T&L but Terry also knows of edugeek (blame russ for that!)

  4. #4
    apoth0r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    1,221
    Thank Post
    151
    Thanked 180 Times in 132 Posts
    Rep Power
    51
    Yeah I signed up to the TES a few years ago when I was teaching ICT, I was appauled at the behaviour of some people on there. Constantly berating any post made. Put me off completely and closed my account.
    Feels like a forum full of union reps in my opinion, or it's just the profession.....I didn't say that! (ensures teacher girlfriend never joins edugeek)

  5. #5
    Jake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sunny South Coast
    Posts
    954
    Thank Post
    11
    Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
    Rep Power
    21
    Its probably the profession.

    The trouble with teachers (not all teachers) is that essentially they never live in the real world. The go to school as kids, behave like kids (in regards to their backstabbing and attitudes etc), then they go to college, university, then back into school again. Essentially they spend their entire lives in school, never experience the demands and behaviour that is required outside of working in a school.

    At least thats my very narrow-minded view on it

  6. #6
    apoth0r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    1,221
    Thank Post
    151
    Thanked 180 Times in 132 Posts
    Rep Power
    51
    I think the problem is this person has suddenly appeared as an expert. Like this forum, respect is earned and rightly so. To be told that someone is an "expert" with no real immediate proof tends to put the critical pants on most people.
    It's a shame really because teachers do need to be persuaded about the advantages that ICT brings to their profession, in the nicest possible way of course.....*kicks whip under the desk*

  7. #7

    tech_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Posts
    8,135
    Thank Post
    1,908
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    395
    Poor old Terry. I met him once. Nice bloke.

  8. #8

    Hightower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Posts
    4,920
    Thank Post
    494
    Thanked 690 Times in 444 Posts
    Rep Power
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by apoth0r View Post
    I think the problem is this person has suddenly appeared as an expert. Like this forum, respect is earned and rightly so. To be told that someone is an "expert" with no real immediate proof tends to put the critical pants on most people.
    It's a shame really because teachers do need to be persuaded about the advantages that ICT brings to their profession, in the nicest possible way of course.....*kicks whip under the desk*
    Wasn't DB born an expert though? At least that's the rumor I heard.

  9. #9

    russdev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    6,918
    Thank Post
    708
    Thanked 550 Times in 365 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    204
    Well you know what expert is

    X is unknown in maths and spurt is drip under pressure.

    So Expert must be a unknown drip under pressure.

    But as for Terry nice bloke so do feel sorry for him...

    Russ

  10. #10
    apoth0r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    1,221
    Thank Post
    151
    Thanked 180 Times in 132 Posts
    Rep Power
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    Wasn't DB born an expert though? At least that's the rumor I heard.
    Haha, very true. There's always exceptions to the rules!

  11. #11

    CHR1S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    4,489
    Thank Post
    1,575
    Thanked 479 Times in 302 Posts
    Rep Power
    215
    Reminds me of the Ali G Movie - "We is hexperts" When they go to the customs bit all dressed in flasher Macs

  12. #12
    Friez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    839
    Thank Post
    22
    Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Its probably the profession.

    The trouble with teachers (not all teachers) is that essentially they never live in the real world. The go to school as kids, behave like kids (in regards to their backstabbing and attitudes etc), then they go to college, university, then back into school again. Essentially they spend their entire lives in school, never experience the demands and behaviour that is required outside of working in a school.

    At least thats my very narrow-minded view on it
    Or, TES is plagued by dumbasses? I'd quite like to see what those guys have to say about themselves. I imagine it's something far less impressive like: "I've been teaching all my life. That's it."

  13. #13
    contink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,791
    Thank Post
    303
    Thanked 327 Times in 233 Posts
    Rep Power
    118
    Has it ever occured to folks that it's highly likely that a lot of the posters aren't even teachers?

    It's not like TES forums require a qualified teacher number to confirm a users account or anything.

  14. #14

    webman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    8,403
    Thank Post
    637
    Thanked 961 Times in 661 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    Has it ever occured to folks that it's highly likely that a lot of the posters aren't even teachers?

    It's not like TES forums require a qualified teacher number to confirm a users account or anything.
    And nor should it... it's the Times Education Supplement (eg. all staff) - not the Teachers' Exclusive Staffroom.
    Last edited by webman; 25th March 2009 at 02:49 PM.

  15. #15
    Jake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sunny South Coast
    Posts
    954
    Thank Post
    11
    Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Friez View Post
    Or, TES is plagued by dumbasses? I'd quite like to see what those guys have to say about themselves. I imagine it's something far less impressive like: "I've been teaching all my life. That's it."
    There is of course also that possibility

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. is it time for a new hard drive???
    By mikeymike in forum Hardware
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 1st October 2009, 07:18 PM
  2. TES Forums: They're at it again!!
    By Dos_Box in forum General Chat
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 10th April 2008, 12:23 PM
  3. Part time ICT Techer/Technician
    By steve_nfi in forum Educational IT Jobs
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11th March 2008, 11:39 AM
  4. Part Time ICT Technician - Gloucestershire
    By comedydave in forum Educational IT Jobs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 9th October 2007, 01:22 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •