+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Governor query of ICT AUP! in General; I've been trying (and constantly failing) to stop checking work emails at night! Everytime I check, there seems to be ...
    Thank Post

Governor query of ICT AUP!

I've been trying (and constantly failing) to stop checking work emails at night!
    Everytime I check, there seems to be something I didn't really want to see!

Tonight my iPhone goes "ping" at about 8.30pm, and I have several pages of email from a Governor. I decide to switch to my PC so I can read it more easily, and find that several items on our current AUP (which incidentally has Governor approval for a re-write, so they know I'm working on revsions!) has been queried!

I'm not sure whether to be happy that a link governor is interested enough to query parts of it, or unhappy that they're picking at the scraps of a (almost) defunct document!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Maybe they got confused and thought it was the new one, might be an idea to foward the in progress one just to remind them that you are in the process of changing it and to give them a sence of involvement.

Thank Post
    Or perhaps the Governor already feels involved and is offering suggestions for "improvement"? Is it a new Governor or one that has maybe forgotten the policy is in-review?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    The last part of the AUP doesn't by any chance include something along the lines of

"And governors should not interfere when re writing / reviewing an AUP!!"

Thank Post
    HI

I wish our link governor would get involved a bit.

Thank Post
    They've been governor for quite a while, although I've only ever exchanged brief conversations in the past.

The email was what i'd call "efficiant". It was lengthly, they'd obviously put time and effort in to it, but there was a lot of critique!

After posting this last night I prepared an equally lengthly reply explaining or answering their points/questions, but also thanking them for showing Governor support etc! (Although I'm chickening out partly and letting the Head cast their eye over my reply before I hit send! Im not altogether sure the Head will be pleased at the direct contact in all honesty!)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think your Governor should have gone through the proper channels. When someone notices something here - be it Governor, Head, Parent, etc they go through the proper channels.

A Governor would not approach me directly via any method. They would go through the Headteacher who may or may not deal with it themselves or pass it to my line manager deputy.

My opinion is that the Governors to not 'interfere' with the daily running of the school hence why they employ and trust a headteacher. I'd ask your direct line manager what the proper process is.

Although saying that - we do not have departmental link governors here.

Gareth

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post
    My opinion is that the Governors to not 'interfere' with the daily running of the school hence why they employ and trust a headteacher. I'd ask your direct line manager what the proper process is.
    Gareth
    I think that is probably the line that our Head will take (who incidentally is my line manager!). I have no problem being contacted by anyone, be it governor or parent, but if procedure exists then it should really be followed!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,775 Posts
    ... and maybe the governor is a member of edugeek... like me!

I take a keen interest in the ICT at the school where I'm governor and managed to get the lone worker policy for electrical items re-written, as in the form that I saw it, it would have been impossible to do even the most minor work to a PC (connecting it up for a start) without a second person in the room. The NM regards me as a friend now.

Might be worth finding out how much the governor knows and befriending him/her

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    ... and maybe the governor is a member of edugeek... like me!

I take a keen interest in the ICT at the school where I'm governor and managed to get the lone worker policy for electrical items re-written, as in the form that I saw it, it would have been impossible to do even the most minor work to a PC (connecting it up for a start) without a second person in the room. The NM regards me as a friend now.

Might be worth finding out how much the governor knows and befriending him/her
    Maybe they are!
    Don't get me wrong- the bit I wrote above saying I don't mind being contacted etc is true - I actually welcome the chance to explain things like this as not many people care enough to ask or are interested! I'm just not sure it's the correct way of going about things. I think if roles were reversed, I would get in trouble for contacting a governor directly rather than via the Head!

I did end my email by thanking them again and giving them the opportunity to ask more and/or have a look at the final draft of the new policy at a later date!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread