+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, what do i do?? in General; i have been doing this job for about 2 years now in a special need school for only about 55 ...

Thank Post

what do i do??

i have been doing this job for about 2 years now in a special need school for only about 55 boys so a smallish network about 80 workstations.
    during the first year i was more or less left alone to do my job so knowing not alot about this field i feel i learned pretty quickly and most importantly really enjoyed it. For the last 6-9 mths things have changed alot here and i am more and more put in class to support lessons. I now get 5 tech sessions a week on a 35 session timetable to do my job which is nothing and its really p***ing me off as im not doing what i enjoy or what i need to learn lots more about.

So what do i do, there seems never to be any similar jobs down this way so apply for and im desparate to get out of this place so i kinda feel to take anything up until another techy job comes up??

Thank Post
    The waiting game is tough mate, especially at this 'economic time' (hate using that phrase). You've just got to hold out mate. Have you thought about speaking to your line manager to perhaps discuss the possibilities of having more time with the computers. Maybe pitching a project which would benefit the school.....providing you are given more time in the techie part ;-)
    Best of luck though mate and keep your chin up, I was in a similar situation a year ago, it is hard but something will come up!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Firstly, I wouldn't leave unless you can find something you want - just leaving to do an unrelated job is never a good idea.
    Secondly, what were you employed as? Are you still doing your job? Can they put you in for that much classroom support and take you off the tech stuff?
    Can you think of any big 'techie' stuff - updating antiv, microsoft updates, new server, anytihng that could be deemed important enough to pull you out of class to do the tech job? A project is a good idea but I was thinking of something that 'had' to be done rather than just a good idea.
    Maybe you could drop your hours to just the tech part (maybe 10?) and find another part-time job to fill the space?
    Jobs do come up on the south coast but it is a waiting game, I'm afraid.

Thank Post
    Pretty much what everyone else said.. you have to wait, its always better to go from 1 job to another then unemployment or a job in a different field. I would check you job spec and talk to your line manager to see if something can be sorted.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeymike View Post
    im desparate to get out of this place so i kinda feel to take anything up until another techy job comes up??
    You are pretty much answering all your own questions here - you don't like your job, you want to leave, so you'll just have to try and find another job. I don't know how old you are or what qualifications you have, but I'm guessing you're pretty young. Is there anywhere nearby you could take some courses or exams? There's a bunch of posts on these forums about the various certification exams around, you could study for one of those. Being young-ish, if you don't like your job you can always simply quit and go work picking fruit or something for the summer, but do study and gain some qualification of some kind at the same time. Alterativly, you could go down the consultancy route and do freelance work of some kind, but I don't know what skills you have so I don't know what would work well for you.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    young ish lol im 32 and have done a basic IT essentials course 1 and 2. have tried for more funding but been refused.
    the managing staff here dont really know what it entails to run a network, yes i have mentioned all the updates and various other jobs that are not getting done now but their answer is more or less a shrug of the shoulders.
    As for my line manager (ict co-ordinator) yes have whinged big time to her and yes she knows i need more time as mainstream is her backround but again its shrugged upon.

we have had a new timetable out today and guess what instead of 5 tech times i now have 4 woohoo.

Thank Post
    Go back to your original contract and check all your duties there to see if it covers moving you to classroom assistant. One thing to consider is that if you are doing more classroom support and less tech maintenance is, are you being overpaid for your classroom work? Speak to your union because they cant change your contract without consent from you. Have you also written down your concerns that the tech facilities are being comprimised while you cant do your job properly? You need to cover yourself for if/when things go wrong.

Judging from what you have said, I doubt anything you say will have an effect as the person who needs to authorise the changes doesn't understand why. Update your CV and look for other worth going for. Better the devil you know and all that, you could end up leaving this job for something silimar so make sure you find a job worth leaving for.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information