+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, EMP any one??? in General; O what a fun week we have had! Swapped over to our new web server monday...wish i hadnt. Continual problems ...
    Thank Post

EMP any one???

O what a fun week we have had!

Swapped over to our new web server monday...wish i hadnt. Continual problems all week!

Our shared areas (kids, staff, multimedia etc) are housed on our web server, as i have them shared on our site so staff can upload resources from home, and kids can get to stuff. this is all achieved with fancy asp and authentication on the webserver to the AD. this has been working great on the past two web servers (one was a NAS box which couldnt cope so i moved to a old out of warranty server which could cope whilst i begged for money for a new server). this has now arrived.

moved all files over (i cheated and used the xcopy command to keep permissions....wish i hadnt! has blown up in my face. now shared drives are dropping off or freezing. only way to restore to working order is a restart of the server. tried restarting services left right and centre! no joy! looked in event viewer, noticed to errors occurring 'NfsClnt 16397' which i have now stopped (was an erronous permission from the old server) now getting 'TCPIP 4227' which MS says to fix i have to disable then enable the NIC......5 times aday! still doesnt really help so.....restart! arrrrgggghhhhh makes me cry a lil really lol

at least the backups are working!!!

getting emails complaining all day!!! this really is the problem with having near 100% uptime over the years, ppl get used to it and its really noticeable when this s*it happens.

this problem seems to have killed other things too; printers and goin crazy! they are appearing in all the wrong places. a package i created yday has killed active studio easy but time consuming to fix. oh and for some reason when we reset profiles ppl can see the management programs. jealous yet? lol

looks like i will be coming in saturday! bloody weather is lovely too, just wanted beer garden and the missus for a quite relaxing weekend but noooooo

as well as this my 'n' key is playing funny buggers....so i have to jab it when typing!!!

sorry needed to vent! lol seems be working now any way ..... for the time being! roll on pay day! lol

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thats abit risky putting your files on a public facing server. Myself i would use a VPN option to access the files from home.

Thank Post
    they are locked down very tightly requires authetication thru the AD. there were some bugs in my code earlier on which let ppl browse the root of the drive etc but i ironed these out.

it has been working very well and staff have taken advantage of uploading from home etc

as the title suggests an EMP would be great about now!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I dont think your allowed to do it though but personal data on a public facing server in such a way. A hacker could exploit this and access other servers on your network. It happened to a school near me a few years ago.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,695 Times in 2,285 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EMP - Electromagnetic Pulse?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread