+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, School domain names scam? in General; They are targeting .sch.uk domain names. we had this email just this week You could in theory register a domain ...
    Thank Post

THIS IS A SCAM Check below

They are targeting .sch.uk domain names.
    we had this email just this week

You could in theory register a domain like yourschool.sch.eu or yourschool.sch.cn but the sch.uk domains are protected. The problem comes in where do you stop? are you going to register yourschool.sch.?? in EVERY country?

Its a SCAM to sell domain names

Steve

Chinese Domain Spam Hopes To Wrestle Your Domain Away From You If you have a domain name or website, you've likely received a message from "Margaret" or "Tina" in the "Checking Department." Margaret (or Tina) will explain to you in her email that "Mr. John Zhou has attempted to register a domain name similar to yours!" This is a common trick in the sketchy and shady domain name business.
    The trick is:
    1. Scare the potential...uh...sucker by making them think someone is trying to steal from them.
    2. Use language in the message that makes it appear something is already underway.
    3. Reassure them that their glorious and helpful organization will stop this evil enterprise and help you acquire the "Internet Brand" that is rightfully yours.
    So a few things to remember regarding this and other potential scams:
    1. Mr. John Zhou doesn't exist. He probably didn't submit a formal application for the rights to "HendersonvilleRotary.com.cn."
    2. As far as I can tell, my local Rotary Club has no interest in expanding to China. Nothing against China, mind you...I just don't see myself or any of my colleagues flying to China for breakfast, coffee and "buddy check."
    3. If you ARE interested in doing business in China, there are many organizations that can help you do this. The Tennessee Chinese Chamber of Commerce, headed by Dr. Ming Wang, is dedicated to developing increased U.S.-China trade. Don't get me wrong...I'm 100% in favor of American businesses expanding and selling their products and services in China. Buying a domain name in support of your new export venture is great. But something tells me you've got a lot more work to do before you start selling product or services in Beijing.
    4. They want your credit card. You can guess what happens next.

http://blog.kbsweb.com/

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    It was probably genuine.
    No, no, no! This is a scam... pure and simple.

It's one that's been around in the business world for a considerable length of time, it just sounds like someone has decided that schools are a good target too.

I had a client report back to me about this when someone called with the same spiel.. "customer wanting to buy your domain.. this courtesy call so you can avoid domain squatting.. .etc... "

It is purely an attempt to get you to buy a domain at vastly inflated prices. It's a win win for them if they scare you/the-school into coughing up because there's this implied value when it's anything but.

Remember that there's a 7 day cooling off period or some such with domains where prospectors can register a domain as a try it and see, check if has a good potential for ad revenue generation (ie: lots of hits) and then either register as yet another waste of space site or let it go...

Bottom line, if you want the domain, wait 7 days and register it through 123reg, ukreg or a registrar. Do NOT encourage these scam artists, scum sucking vermin.... Pretty please!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    No, no, no! This is a scam... pure and simple.
    lol...I was talking about the Message Labs phone call

I agree that the domain one sounds dodgy as, and its good that people have been warned
    Schools are probably an easy target for them, as the ones without in house IT may be scared into actually paying

Thank Post
    I used to work in IT in the private sector for a classifieds magazine and we frequently saw emails 'warning' us about the same thing. It's spam and has been around for a long time. Like it's already been said it's just a way to scare you into buying domain names that you don't need.

Thank Post
    Anyone could register schoolname.co.uk, but they can't pretend to be the school.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    I had a phone call yesterday from an Asian lady claiming to be from Message Labs wanting to give us a free book on how to keep your network safe and would we accept an e-mail from them with the ebook as an attachment, well you can guess what I told her (Yeh corse I wil luv after all i am stupid lookin) not!
    So told staff to be on their toes for anything like this in the future.

Our Corporate County IT Services have had quite a few services down because of a Trojan which has infected other managed services to other groups whom they deliver IT to so be on your guard people.
    She rang here last week also. She sent the whitepaper to my spam / sales account. I haven't read it yet.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    lol...I was talking about the Message Labs phone call
    Ah... That'll teach me to read the thread properly...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12