+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Motorbike test in General; I'm taking my motorbike test on Monday, just the A2, nothing too big just yet! Has anyone taken their test, ...
    Thank Post

Motorbike test

I'm taking my motorbike test on Monday, just the A2, nothing too big just yet!

Has anyone taken their test, especially A2, recently?

I've not had any lessons, aside from the CBT 6 months ago, so riding tips and test tips greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by StewartKnight; 18th March 2009 at 06:26 PM.

Thank Post
    I took mine in 1966 if that's any help There were no traffic lights and one zebra crossing. The examiner was on foot but he knew all the little alleyways and kept popping up all over the place. As a result of that piece of paper, I believe I can go out and ride the fastest road bike available. Luckily, my wife has more sense than me.

Best of luck with the test.

Thank Post
    Cant help with your test but I'm thinking about ditching my car and moving onto bikes.

Whats the path you have to take now to get on something like a 600cc? I heard it all changed recently but not sure what or why. What does the A2 let you ride?

I took my CBT about 10 years ago so I bet I have to retake that also!

Thank Post
    CBT only lasts 2 years so you will have to retake. As someone who has done both the bike tests in the last few years I can try and tell you a little. This would depend on if your taking the new type of tests though?

Thank Post
    I would be taking the new tests, have an expired CBT and a full (car) driving license.

Sorry for highjacking!

Thank Post
    I don't know about these tests at these new centres unfortunately. All I know is it involves loads of going round cones and some kind of swerve emergency stop! You will need your CBT again to take your test. It would be worth at least a days lesson with a school if you have not been on your bike for ages.

Thank Post
    The new test hasn't started yet, so I'm still doing the old style test.
    The A2 allows me to ride upto a 33bhp for 2 years, then unrestricted after that.

Thank Post
    In that case.... U turns be able to do them with ease on the narrowest street you can find to practice on. Remember you fail if you put your foot down!

Keep making sure you have turned your indicator off. This gets a lot of people.

As with a car test keep checking your mirrors especially when you move road position.

When setting off from the side of the road, make sure you have a good look back before you set off.

When setting off from the lights etc, have a good, quick look over both shoulders.

Make sure you are using your front brake rather that just the back. Use both together as you will have been taught. Squeeze the front brake then apply the back.

When you do your emergency stop the examiner may tease you a few times and make you go round the block. If you try to anticipate their signal and slow down he will wave you on. Once you have stopped make sure you look over both shoulders quickly before pulling to the side. Also make sure you do a good stop. I got failed for not stopping in a decent enough distance but I can assure that was the best my old ER-5 could do but he wasn't having any of it.

Make sure you are ok moving off from an angle behind a car. They dont always test this but they may. They are just looking for clutch control.

You should be ok if you have been riding about for a bit. They aren't as strict on the 125 test as they are on the direct access for obvious reasons.

The best bit of advice I can give you is dont do your test at Blackburn because one of the guys there if the most hated examiner you will ever find. I passed on his day off
    Last edited by ChrisH; 18th March 2009 at 07:42 PM.

Thank Post
    I'm long out-of-date, but "rear observation" was always the one my mates and I failed on. No matter how many times you looked over your shoulder, or moved your head to see in the mirrors (one trick was to re-align the mirrors to make sure it was obvious you were using them), it was ALWAYS rear-obs that got us.

The thinking became "They always fail you a few times..."

Maybe one day I'll have the spare cash to go back to a bike...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 790 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Remember to exaggerate all movements - for observations, etc cause the examiner needs to see you do it.

Also using the front and rear brakes, even if engine braking is harsh enough

its simple things that trip people up...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    I'm long out-of-date, but "rear observation" was always the one my mates and I failed on. No matter how many times you looked over your shoulder, or moved your head to see in the mirrors (one trick was to re-align the mirrors to make sure it was obvious you were using them), it was ALWAYS rear-obs that got us.

The thinking became "They always fail you a few times..."

Maybe one day I'll have the spare cash to go back to a bike...
    Good point I should have said check mirrors and over shoulder before changing position.

Thank Post
    U-Turn and observations are the ones I normally hear people fail on.
    Checks when coming off a roundabout are one that can catch people out as you are all ready doing a lot. Also when going from a low speed to higher speed area check both mirrors and over shoulder.
    Just get out and do as many U-turns as you can on as many different roads. Something I should really do again but you know how it is once you pass

Ohh and shoudln't be a problem if you have been riding but make sure you get up to speed on roads, especially on dual carriage.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartKnight View Post
    I'm taking my motorbike test on Monday, just the A2, nothing too big just yet!

Has anyone taken their test, especially A2, recently?

I've not had any lessons, aside from the CBT 6 months ago, so riding tips and test tips greatly appreciated!
    Dan at WStore took his last year - have a word with him!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartKnight View Post
    The new test hasn't started yet, so I'm still doing the old style test.
    The A2 allows me to ride upto a 33bhp for 2 years, then unrestricted after that.
    Hi Stewart Knight

Is there any reason you are doing the A2 and not the full test? My advice is to go straight in and do the full course / test - you won't regret it. When I was looking to do my licence, I was offered the same advice. People told me that although 33BHP will be more than enough to start with, but you'll soon get used to it after a couple of months and want more!

You're doing your test just in time for the good weather - it's great being on a bike when the sun is shining!

Good luck and make sure you let us know how it goes!

Thank Post
    I did the direct access a few years ago, and my U-Turns weren't ridden, I had to get off and walk the bike around!

Good luck with your test!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast