+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Whats The Difference? in General; 1. Can anyone tell me the diffrence between a Junior IT Technican & a Trainee IT Technican? 2. Where does ...
    Thank Post

Question Whats The Difference?

1. Can anyone tell me the diffrence between a Junior IT Technican & a Trainee IT Technican?

2. Where does a 1 Year & 6 Months Experence put me + what you think? (I know it puts be better than having nothing but what other users opuion)

3. How long would you say to be classifed as a compentent IT Technican (I know that computers there are always something new to learn so there are always a learning curve).

Thanks looking forward to what diffrenet users say to each.

Thank Post
    1 - Very little. If anything, then possibly the trainee is still learning - maybe on an NVQ course etc. Junior might be the same level of person who gets taken on full time

2 - Depends. It's all about ability really. You might have the natural ability of someone who's had to knuckle down and learn it from scratch for years.

3 - Kind of the same as above. Generally, if you can do your work everyday without having to ask for direction or guidence, that's pretty much the telling point.

3. Thanks to mb2k01 from:

chrisredfield93 (18th March 2009)

Thank Post
    To me someone who is a Trainee IT Technician is still learning how to be a Technician. While someone who is a Junior IT Technician has completed training but still be relatively new to the job and possibly inexperienced, but thats not always the case. Some places you never move beyond Junior IT Technician as the post is basic.

As far is I am aware there is no standard for when you move beyond Junior IT Technician.

5. Thanks to Pottsey from:

chrisredfield93 (18th March 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 781 Posts
    To me junior technician has completed level 1 level 2 and possibly level 3 NVQ
    Technician would have completed level 3 and either doing 4 or completed 4 with possibly A+ security and maybe Cisco IT essentials.
    Senior Technician would have MCP maybe MCSA and possibly CCNA under belt
    IT all depends on experience also.

Also forgot look at Becta IT competency framework Becta Competency Framework
    Last edited by bossman; 18th March 2009 at 06:06 PM.

7. Thanks to bossman from:

chrisredfield93 (19th March 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In my opinion to answer your questions...

1. Can anyone tell me the diffrence between a Junior IT Technican & a Trainee IT Technican?

A trainee technician is someone who still needs to learn the ropes, whilst he/she may be studying for the qualifications, a junior technician is already there.

2. Where does a 1 Year & 6 Months Experence put me + what you think? (I know it puts be better than having nothing but what other users opuion)

1 year 6 month experience is better than nothing, but it depends on how well you can apply your experience. You could have 20 years experience and still not know the basics of putting a PC together, or you could have 1½ years and be a whizz. Its just how you apply yourself more than anything.

3. How long would you say to be classifed as a compentent IT Technican (I know that computers there are always something new to learn so there are always a learning curve).

Depends on which area you are going for, For ANY based area having a CCNA at the minimum is a must although you could maybe even have CCNP. For a windows based area then look at MCSA/MCSE, for a linux based look at RHCT (Red Hat Certified Technician), for Apple based then look at Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP). If you want to be an alrounder, try to have all of them.

I hope that helps. As I said it really depends where you want to be at the end of the day. Provided you work hard you can achieve anything.

9. Thanks to nephilim from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 1,263 Posts
    I agree with comments already posted. A Junior is someone who's relatively new to the job, but has demonstrated some skills/knowledge to do a job, but also learn a whole lot more! A Trainee is just as the name states. Another name for it could be an apprentice or novice I suppose.

One year and 6 months puts you in a great position. You're well on your way to learning new skills and test out good practices you've probably read about. This forum is full of people with all kinds of expertise. Network Managers, Technicians, Programmers and together a community is created and information is shared. I still learn new skills all the time. It's forever an on-going process.

No one would employ you if you weren't compentent or demonstrated the skills required by your employer. You're well on your way to completing day to day tasks successfully, listening to user requirements and adapting to their needs. The better you are, the better you can adapt and respond to particular situations.

The best advice I can offer you is to do a lot of reading and experimenting. After all, we all learn best from making mistakes (in a test environment, I'd like to add!! ). But whenever things get tough and no where to turn, post a message on here. We all started from nothing and there are some very skilled members of this forum.

11. Thanks to Michael from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 1,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisredfield93 View Post

1. Can anyone tell me the difference between a Junior IT Technician & a Trainee IT Technician?
    N/A - as already covered above
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisredfield93
    2. Where does a 1 Year & 6 Months Experience put me + what you think? (I know it puts be better than having nothing but what other users opinion)
    where you are now and still lots to learn

Quote Originally Posted by chrisredfield93
    3. How long would you say to be classified as a competent IT Technician (I know that computers there are always something new to learn so there are always a learning curve).

Thanks looking forward to what different users say to each.
    It never ends - the learning that is and IT Technician is just a title and although you will progress assuming you put the work into it you will always have to keep learning and keep at it

13. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Thank Post
    I am, I think, an "Assistant" technician - but I often do things which are higher than the "assistant" job description.

According to our County Council's job description, an assistant technician basically moves machines about, sets them up, cleans projector filters, screens and keyboards, deals with toner/paper, and sorts out passwords/disk space requests.

My badge used to say "Junior IT Technician", contract says I'm a "Relief ICT Technician" (no assistant to be seen) yet my pay is about the same as the dinnerladies (questions about how it is worked out are conveniently overlooked by management).
    Last edited by grumpy_git; 18th March 2009 at 07:44 PM.

15. Thanks to grumpy_git from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    Technician would have completed level 3 and either doing 4 or completed 4 with possibly A+ security and maybe Cisco IT essentials.

Had a quick glance, at the PDF, on the site pretty intresting,

thanks bossman

'Thanks you all, I got till end of month at my current placement, and I think i being rushed now to do an NVQ level 2, the college found me the placement. But they not looking for another placement for me so I am on my own. Got keep an eye peeled for computer job & I know all jobs are rare & there 2 million + unemployed that high.
    Last edited by chrisredfield93; 19th March 2009 at 10:15 AM.

Thank Post
    Trainee Technician - someone who still thinks they will have a career

Junior Technician - someone who has realised they won't...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post

Which NVQ's are you referring to Bossman?

Thank Post
    I'd assume IT Practitioner? (That's what my previous Techs have done)

Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    Which NVQ's are you referring to Bossman?

Thank Post
    Well I know hopefully if i can get this NVQ, I have a level 2 NVQ for IT Practitioner,
    because I have already got a "Level 1 NVQ for IT Practitioner". Some of the other people are doing IT User, and their similar placements, none in office enviroment as I know of since we not allowed to really communicate with each other and think the tutor not up to scratch lol.

This has given me experince, and I know that people regarding computers jobs perfer experince, so I got some now .
    Last edited by chrisredfield93; 19th March 2009 at 12:26 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread