+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 51
General Chat Thread, I have money to spend but what on? HELP! in General; Originally Posted by Domino A small international company... So did you go with them...? Because I was offered 20 AP's ...
  1. #31

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hull and back!
    Posts
    14
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    A small international company...

    So did you go with them...?
    Because I was offered 20 AP's for the price of 10 (buy one get one free). We are now looking to expand our network and we need to purchase a whole load of new kit, and licences. Its very expensive and the VP is not happy one bit

    I am going to get shot

    ps . support has not been great so far probably because they are not as big as Cisco, 3Com and Aruba etc etc
    Last edited by TheMainGeek; 17th March 2009 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Didnt read the question...

  2. #32
    flashsnaps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Brighton, East Sussex
    Posts
    442
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
    Rep Power
    16
    Hi, sorry to butt in.......what are the pros of the Ruckus setups over installing bog standard wireless access points?

  3. #33

    Domino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bromley
    Posts
    4,136
    Thank Post
    215
    Thanked 1,258 Times in 789 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    507
    search is your friend... http://www.edugeek.net/forums/networ...hot-stuff.html

    mainly its robustness, and the snazzy beamflex antennas

    you put it in, get it happy then never touch it again, as reliable as cable IMHO

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hull and back!
    Posts
    14
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by flashsnaps View Post
    Hi, sorry to butt in.......what are the pros of the Ruckus setups over installing bog standard wireless access points?
    Your asking the wrong person here, I really don't think much at all to Ruckus. Our system at my old school was alot more robust, better tech support and was better priced!

  5. #35
    WStore_Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Farnham
    Posts
    440
    Thank Post
    47
    Thanked 55 Times in 37 Posts
    Rep Power
    30
    Wow, you really seem to have it in for Ruckus judging by your posts

  6. #36

    CPLTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    4,055
    Thank Post
    1,400
    Thanked 646 Times in 502 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    259
    LOL was thinking the same thing Dan seems abit fishy to me!
    Last edited by CPLTD; 17th March 2009 at 05:06 PM.

  7. #37
    jamin100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    1,038
    Thank Post
    141
    Thanked 98 Times in 78 Posts
    Rep Power
    33
    yup all of his 5 posts have been slagging ruckus . . . . .

    maybe he's really from cisco and there jealous of all the positive attention Ruckus is getting...

    Just confirmed my Ruckus order today. Cant wait till it gets here!

  8. #38
    MarkPower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    194
    Thank Post
    144
    Thanked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMainGeek View Post
    Your asking the wrong person here, I really don't think much at all to Ruckus. Our system at my old school was alot more robust, better tech support and was better priced!
    WOW this is all looking odd.....Ruckus just works that us the best bit about it.

  9. #39

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,262
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    @reggiep - without establishing just how much you have to spend (unless you don't wish to disclose publically), it's really difficult to give you ideas. Decent wireless kit is one idea, but as I'm sure you'd agree you can do a lot more with £20K than £5K obviously

  10. #40

    broc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,046
    Thank Post
    104
    Thanked 401 Times in 265 Posts
    Rep Power
    150
    I had a similar conversation with SMT a few weeks ago... It has been a hectic couple of weeks getting prices & deciding what to buy.

    I looked at areas where we are likely to need to replace kit in the next couple of years until BSF kicks in, & where we could reduce running costs/improve performance.

    We are short of network cabinet space, so I have ordered a bunch of 48 port gigabit switches

    I reckoned we could save printing costs & improve presentation so we have bought new duplex printers, Colour A3 and A4 plus monochrome.

    Our DCs are getting a bit long in the tooth so we are replacing them along with our print server & one used for network managment/WSUS/Ghost etc.

    We are renewing & increasing our UPS capacity to include our key network cabinets as well as the servers as we have lost a couple of switches over the last year due to power outages.

    We also decided to invest in digital signage, & to add a curriculum dimension to it we will get our art & media studies students involved in the design & presentation of content for the display.

    We have bought a couple of 'quick' desktop & notebook systems for video editing as our stock systems struggle a bit.

    I have also stocked up on spare HDD, including some spare SAS server drives even though they are under warranty & we tend to run RAID5 arrays with 'hot' spares for all our critical servers anyway. I would much rather replace a failing drive as soon as it goes down rather than wait for the warranty swap-out.

  11. #41
    MarkPower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    194
    Thank Post
    144
    Thanked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by reggiep View Post
    Is it me or is the Ruckus website the hardest website to understand in the world, ever?
    It seems to be full of corporate speak without giving the info a guy like me needs?
    Sorry to say Vendor Websites are always the same they just want to tell you about the products and throw as much of the technical info they can into it, although I defend as the info is truthfall and informative, but I do agree there is a lot of it.

    The key things you need to know can be found on our website Ruckus Wireless - Wireless LAN Solutions

    If you need more info just shout

    Cheers

    Mark

  12. #42
    MarkPower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    194
    Thank Post
    144
    Thanked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMainGeek View Post
    Because I was offered 20 AP's for the price of 10 (buy one get one free). We are now looking to expand our network and we need to purchase a whole load of new kit, and licences. Its very expensive and the VP is not happy one bit

    I am going to get shot

    ps . support has not been great so far probably because they are not as big as Cisco, 3Com and Aruba etc etc
    Who sold you this kit???????

    I am confused......

    In other post you say you need to upgrade the license from 25 to 50 to enable you to put more access points on the network....is this correct?

    If so the only thing you need to buy is a license upgrade for a ZoneDirector 1025 tp a 1050, this allows up to 50 access points connected at anyone time running across your campus.

    Then the only new equipment you need to buy is the additional access points due to expansion which is always going to be the way as you have expanded on what you currently have due to demand or progression.

    As for support are you using a reseller or going direct to Ruckus?

    The reason I ask is that Net-Ctrl are the only Gold Resllers of Ruckus Wireless in the Europe and the reason we have this is that our engineers are trained to the highest level of technical ability as are our sales team.

    Tell me more as I am happy to help.

    PS I wont let you get shot I promise

    Cheers

    Mark

  13. #43

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hull and back!
    Posts
    14
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by reggiep View Post
    Is it me or is the Ruckus website the hardest website to understand in the world, ever?
    It seems to be full of corporate speak without giving the info a guy like me needs?
    Don't go there!!! Go for another brand, like Aruba or something.

    I had a good set of hair when I first started this job and thanks to Ruckus I am now receeding

  14. #44

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hull and back!
    Posts
    14
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jamin100 View Post
    yup all of his 5 posts have been slagging ruckus . . . . .

    maybe he's really from cisco and there jealous of all the positive attention Ruckus is getting...

    Just confirmed my Ruckus order today. Cant wait till it gets here!
    No, just an iritated user jamin!

  15. #45

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hull and back!
    Posts
    14
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkPower View Post
    Who sold you this kit???????

    I am confused......

    In other post you say you need to upgrade the license from 25 to 50 to enable you to put more access points on the network....is this correct?

    If so the only thing you need to buy is a license upgrade for a ZoneDirector 1025 tp a 1050, this allows up to 50 access points connected at anyone time running across your campus.

    Then the only new equipment you need to buy is the additional access points due to expansion which is always going to be the way as you have expanded on what you currently have due to demand or progression.

    As for support are you using a reseller or going direct to Ruckus?

    The reason I ask is that Net-Ctrl are the only Gold Resllers of Ruckus Wireless in the Europe and the reason we have this is that our engineers are trained to the highest level of technical ability as are our sales team.

    Tell me more as I am happy to help.

    PS I wont let you get shot I promise

    Cheers

    Mark
    The gun has been put down for the time being....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What can we spend money on???
    By gibbo_ap in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 24th February 2009, 12:14 PM
  2. Money to spend!
    By chrbb in forum Hardware
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 16th February 2009, 04:03 PM
  3. What can we spend Harnessing & Technology money on?
    By Kyle in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 1st October 2008, 01:04 PM
  4. Help me spend - Switchs
    By dave.81 in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 23rd April 2008, 01:22 PM
  5. [Pics] She just couldn't wait to spend that money...
    By mattx in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 20th March 2008, 03:06 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •