+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Best sat-nav in General; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,032 Posts
    Blog Entries

Best sat-nav

It's my birthday in a couple of weeks and my better 3/4 has suggested getting a sat-nav, not because we can't find our way from one end of the country to the other, we can, but because when we go to gigs and shows etc in strange towns, and we're a bit tired of arriving just as it is starting therefore foregoing the usual pre event pint. So it looks like a sat-nav would be the ideal pressie. What I want is something up to £150, has speed cameras, traffic info (if poss), car parks and as many bells and whistles as possible. Can anyone recommend one?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    It's my birthday in a couple of weeks and my better 3/4 has suggested getting a sat-nav, not because we can't find our way from one end of the country to the other, we can, but because when we go to gigs and shows etc in strange towns, and we're a bit tired of arriving just as it is starting therefore foregoing the usual pre event pint. So it looks like a sat-nav would be the ideal pressie. What I want is something up to £150, has speed cameras, traffic info (if poss), car parks and as many bells and whistles as possible. Can anyone recommend one?
    Waste of time - do yourself a favor and get a proper OS Map. Cheaper too.

nc-

Thank Post

Thank Post
    I have a tomtom xl (the thin widescreen version), just about fits in my jeans pocket too.

but tbh i've taken it out twice, and I drive everyday. I've only got it cuz my rents got me it for christmas.

Half the fun of travling, is trying to find your way round *insert odd town/city* and ending up in the middle of knowhere.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Waste of time - do yourself a favor and get a proper OS Map. Cheaper too.
    We have many dozens of S maps, It's just OS maps don't show you the one-way system in Liverpool, or how to get to Shauns house without doing 3 laps of Aberdeen, or the alternative routes out of Manchester after all the major venues have gigs on a Friday night and everyone tries to get out of the city at 23:15 and the roads are jammed!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,323 Times in 812 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Tomtom One XL Traffic Edition - UK & Europe Mapping With TMC Receiver - Ebuyer is just out of the price range, but has a nice set of features and is pretty sturdy and reliable.

the european maps are pretty damn handy when wandering round amsterdam at 5am....so I'm told.....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Half the fun of travling, is trying to find your way round *insert odd town/city* and ending up in the middle of knowhere.
    Yes, but not when you are tryign to get to a gig\film\show and you know you are running out of time.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    I use a Garmin nüvi 770 (looks like a mini widescreen) and the majority of the time it has worked great, but I think I paid £200. You may pay more for it now however as most electrical goods appear to be going up in price - month by month.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    We have many dozens of S maps, It's just OS maps don't show you the one-way system in Liverpool, or how to get to Shauns house without doing 3 laps of Aberdeen, or the alternative routes out of Manchester after all the major venues have gigs on a Friday night and everyone tries to get out of the city at 23:15 and the roads are jammed!!!
    Lordy, I used to go up and down the country watching Wycombe footy club about 10 years ago, also did tons of Hospital Radio functions & in my last job was going up and down the country visiting various area offices - never used a Sat Nav. Just me and a trusty A-Z and maps of the various areas.
    I suppose it did help that I did have [ thats out of date now ] map reading qualifications - but that was for North Wales !!

Thank Post
    Another vote for TOMTOM i bought mine about 4 years ago and i wouldnt live without it!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ive only ever used a Garmin, and it was great, did all the speed camera stuff.

Thank Post
    I'd personally have a look at getting a Navigo - Navigo 3.5" Sat Nav V2 PLUS - UK Maps, Full Postcode Search - MP3 &MP4 player, Bluetooth and FM transmitter - Ebuyer - and buying yourself something extra with the (large amount!) of change. It runs Windows Mobile under the hood and the mapping software is supplied on an SD card, so any other software such as TomTom, iGO (much better than TomTom imho) etc will happily run on it if you pop a different SD card in with a few tweaks. Much more fun for tinkering with, adding extra software to, skins, menu tweaks etc.

Thank Post
    Yet another vote for TomTom here. I have had a Go510 for a few years and got on brilliantly with it.

A couple of months ago my other half wanted a SatNav so I gave her my 510 and got myself a nice new 540 Live. It's wonderful. Has the new TomTom HD Traffic which utilises mobile phone signals (I think from the Vodafone network) to work out traffic speeds, delays etc.

Thank Post
    TomTom's software is great. Bear in mind that rather than being a black box piece of kit it's just software that sits on a glorified Windows PDA that has a GPS receiver. This means that if you can run additional apps on the same unit.

I use an app on mine that logs the position, so I can use it on battery and take it with me when walking, and I have some software that will tie up the timestamp on the GPS log with the EXIF on photos and geotag them.

Thank Post
    TomTom will definitely do the job. Just make sure to take a backup of the internal memory before making any changes / installing software

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast