+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Overtime? in General; Some advice please: A while ago, at one of the schools I work in, my boss asked me if I ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts

Overtime?

Some advice please:
    A while ago, at one of the schools I work in, my boss asked me if I would consider working overtime in the summer holidays in order to put in a whole load of new kit. Now normally I am term-time only, and part-time at that. (very very part-time, only 8 hours a week!)
    I said I would, and heard no more.
    Now it seems that he has ordered the equipment and is presuming that I will spend the time in the summer sorting it out. He hasn't told me when it will be, and I know that there is some benching and cabling to be done before I can do my bit, but what sort of notice should I get as to when he wants me?
    I have calculated that the things he wants done will take at least a week, and probably more, and at my present level of hours that equates to more than a month's work!
    I have found out from admin that because I am not full-time, I will only be paid my normal derisory hourly rate, until I have worked 37 hours in any given week.
    This seems ridiculous to me, and I question the use of the word 'overtime'.
    What do you think? What does 'overtime' mean to you?

Also, the work involves moving at least 80 computers, monitors and the like around the school. I am not sure about the H&S aspect of doing this on my own, quite apart from the risk to my back.

This is typical of the school's airy fairy way of going about things.
    What sort of system do other people run for doing extra work?
    :?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Overtime?

this site http://www.direct.gov.uk/Employment/...439&chk=CxFGwX

say this

Overtime for part-time workers

Unless it says differently in their contract of employment, employers will usually only pay overtime to part-time workers when they work:

* longer hours than are included in their contract (although sometimes they might just get their normal rate)
    * more than the normal working hours of full-time staff (when they must receive extra payments if full-time staff receive them)
    * unsocial hours for which a full-time employee would get more pay

It is a legal requirement that part-time workers must not be treated less favourably than full-time staff.

Part-time workers – find out more
    The thing to is check contract and if paid by lea phone them up and ask them...

He has to ask you again really as saying do you mind doing it and doing it are two different things as at that time he might not of known if money available.

Maybe take ball into his court and say look you want me to do this going to take week and half to do if i worked all week.

So i still agree to do overtime as long as all in one go so work for week and half to get the job sorted.

As otherwise you can plan anything for summer holidays as maybe working...

Russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I'd say talk to your boss. Obviously he values your capabilities and might be horrified when he realises communication has currently failed.

I was on 10 HPW for a year or so and started applying for full time posts. Either my boss got fed up with writing references or realised the workload I was actually doing because post my last interview we had a chat and my 10 HPW at peanuts turned into 35 HPW at a decent rate.

Thank Post

@ITWITCH: That clause is pretty standard and you will probably find that it is in your contract.

I don't think that there is usually a 'notice period' about overtime since it is generally agreed between you and your employer... after all he cannot force you to do it.

I would recommend trying to negotiate something so that you do it all in one week of the hols (which would be kinder to the caretaker who has to open the building), then do 8 hours a day so that you leave a little time for overrun on the Friday and have the potential for overtime pay

As for H&S, you should insist on a manual handling course before doing any heavy lifting. Also explain to your boss that you will need to take breaks if you have to move all that equipment... hence it will cost him more. Possibly ask if your caretaker can help unbox the machines and place them on the desks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts

Caretakers and other technicians from other departments are the best people to get on with in the school as when you need and hour to help shift some heavy stuff they will help you, and when your a cleaner down and they need someone to mop a floor or two or replace some loo rolls you won't mind being asked as you know that the thing of you scratch my back i'll scratch your back will hopefully work. I always find it does in my place.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Key is to negotiate first.

Normal overtime rate is 1.25 times your current rate - that is what I would assume your boss means Or at least better than that.

Be positive - I'm sure you're appreciated more than you think, and if not - suggesting a 'realistic' rate of pay may shock them into realising this.

- oh and moving the computers shouldn't be your job - caretakers etc should do that bit for you - you can always ask.

Most jobs nowadays are flexitine based with hours off in leiu given instead of money - your situation doesn't work with that tho'.

Thank Post

“and when your a cleaner down and they need someone to mop a floor or two or replace some loo rolls you won't mind being asked as you know that the thing of you scratch my back i'll scratch your back will hopefully work. I always find it does in my place.”
    I used to do that a lot at my old school. Only instead of doing the cleaners job I made fire maps and other IT based usefully things for the caretaker. That and setting up a playstation on the interactive whiteboard for him in the holidays help when I need a favour.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts

Thanks guys
    mutter to self:
    "I am a worthwhile person, I am a worthwhile person"

Just found out that IF the new cabling isnt done until the end of WK 3 in the summer holidays, then the caretaker wont even be available as he is going on holiday. THEN who will lift the gear?

Admin have just pointed out that I am not allowed to lift heavy objects anyway as I do have a longstanding back problem and it is mentioned in my terms of employment.

I think I will have to bite the bullet and accost the Dep Head - I just don't want to be seen to be a problem.
    I am definitely going to ask for extra money - I dont care what it says in my contract - I normally only work 8 hours a week and no holidays, so as far as I am concerned, offering to come in for 40 odd hours in the holidays is above and beyond the call of duty and should be duly recognised.
    So there

Thank Post

Can anyone shed anymore light on the Health and safety aspect of lifting and moving equipment. We move alot of heavy equipment around the school, for example deliveries. We even had new chairs delivered and had to carry them from reception to the second floor. Is this my job or am i in need of some sort of training. My boss lifted our ups a while back and injured his back, he doesnt do any heavy lifitng now but leaves it all to me! just wondred where i stood on the issue!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

You need heavy lifting training. Might want to do ladder training and first aid while your at it. You can rightly refused to move stuff/etc if you have not been trained on it. Contact your county councils HR department for more details.

You also need to check if your insured.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

You need to go on manuall handling course.

You shouldn't do it without training - your employer is putting themselves at high risk. Training is also very cheap

It's not good business practice to employ ppl on a high wage to do work that can be achieved at a lower cost. If your place is small though it may make economic sense to use the higher paid staff on occasion.

H&S regs here: http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1992/Uksi_19922793_en_1.htm

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

[BTW read high paid > SHOULD be highly paid/ worth a hell of a lot next to getting in an outside contractor to do the work you couldn't because you were doing this! ]

Thank Post

Manual Handling courses (chuckles)
    Has anyone tried a manual handling "awareness" course there all rage within East Yorkshire Council. Designed to save the govt and employers billions, they get some guy to come and discuss the finer points of lifting.
    Such as you should stop think and act (I imagined an advert similar to the green cross code with ickle hedghogs lifting things badly untill a big hedghog comes and says stop, think, live-t (lift))
    So yeah it's really quite inpressive, and good way to spend a training day, you get a nice certificate, but watch out apparently you forget after 3 years so it runs out so that you an do it all over again.

JayR

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries

Our present student placement, Tina, did say during her interview that she would not be phased by heaving lifting and so on ... becuase she had been on a course about, and has experience of, man handling.

It would be nasty to keep repeating back to her wouldn't it ... ;-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

lol oh dear...

having meet tina at the conference hmm i make no comment

Russ

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information