+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Youtube Music blocked in UK in General; BBC NEWS | Technology | YouTube stands by UK video block Well done, great move by Youtube [/sarcasm] What do ...
    Maz
    Thank Post

Youtube Music blocked in UK

BBC NEWS | Technology | YouTube stands by UK video block

Well done, great move by Youtube [/sarcasm]

What do you think about it?

Thank Post
    To be honest, reading it from google/yotube point of view, this PRS group are wanting more and more money, the article says that myspace and a few others are having trouble with the amount they want too. So I support what youtube have done, if someone wants to suddenly have me paying loads more money for something that they aren't really doing a whole lot to earn, I'd tell them to take a hike as well.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    Yes, but if it is true that most songwriters only earn about £10,000 a year then I can see why they would want to do this

Thank Post
    I know this is a bit of a sweeping generalisation, and I've got no real idea at all of the figures. But from the guys I know, (From Plan to Progress, go buy their album off play.com) personally, they are in it for the fun, the experience and getting the music heard, not for mega bucks, they are realistic about it, as I think most people who do music professionally are.

It only seems to be the ones that have already made the mega bucks (metallica / napster argument springs to mind) that are clamouring for more money, plus the publishers who seem to care that much. Why not have all the publishes and their middle management ilk take a pay cut, to pay the musicians more? If they won't why should google/youtube take one?

Thank Post
    I "love" PRS...

They have no shame and took around £200 in rights payments for a Comic Relief event and the 20 tracks we used. Ok, so they have a job to do, but frankly I think they need to find a new business model.

I'm guessing their change in pricing is simply a reflection of them trying to monetise the digital delivery method and frankly I think they're on to a loser from the get go...

stu
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon_Gibbs View Post
    I know this is a bit of a sweeping generalisation, and I've got no real idea at all of the figures. But from the guys I know, (From Plan to Progress, go buy their album off play.com) personally, they are in it for the fun, the experience and getting the music heard, not for mega bucks, they are realistic about it, as I think most people who do music professionally are.
    I agree with your statement about metallica but i think its more the pop community that will be causing the argument the people who made it big quick and are in it for the money not to have fun

Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post

I'm guessing their change in pricing is simply a reflection of them trying to monetise the digital delivery method and frankly I think they're on to a loser from the get go...
    here here! There just scared of loosing a market they never controlled.

Thank Post
    Surely a lot of labels use youtube to promote their latest artist's offering. Seems to me youtube should allow music videos from approved sources and block everything else.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoZeroAlpha View Post
    Surely a lot of labels use youtube to promote their latest artist's offering. Seems to me youtube should allow music videos from approved sources and block everything else.
    So if you've shot your own video and arnt signed to a major label you shouldnt be allowed to upload it?

I really dont see what the PRS are playing at. Artists are not losing any money from having their videos on Youtube, its promotion if anything, so why should youtube pay more? Its not like they're providing MP3 downloads, they are average quality flash videos with not great audio. What are the artists losing???

I hope no-one pays them any money. Are they the same idiots you have to pay the radio licence to?

Thank Post
    i have dealt with the PRS as i had a commercial idea for a website that used copyrighted music.

Their licences are quite simple ridiculous, as you can read the wording several ways.

The bare bones of what they are after is
    5% of all advertising revenue from the whole site
    plus a minimum for about 5p per track, discount on bulk downloading.

If you call and speak to PRS they tell you a different thing, the 5% of advertising only applies to the pages where a download is offered.

PRS royalty scheme is still tied to the concept of a 3:00 minute tracks on a cd.

The PRS are in a rook and a hard place between consumers and record labels as record label are wanting more money as sales decline.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread