+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Natural daylight!!!! in General; Probably like many of you out there, our IT office/server room is surrounded on all 4 walls by other rooms ...
    Thank Post

Natural daylight!!!!

Probably like many of you out there, our IT office/server room is surrounded on all 4 walls by other rooms and coridors, meaning there are no windows that open to the outside of the building. The only window I have in my room is the one in the door.

But it has reached that time of year where the sun rises at such an angle that it is shining through a window further down the coridor and through the window in my door, so I actually have real natural sunlight in my office!!!

Although its only a 3x2 patch on the wall it is real sunlight

I'll have to black out the window, I'm not used to these conditions.

Thank Post
    Now the sun has risen a bit more and is no longer shining through the window, swathed in glorious flourescentness again, just how it should be

Thank Post
    When we moved from regent house (due to it being a muckhole and soon to be demolished... it was cheap though) we looked at an office space in Joseph's Well in Leeds, the main room of the place had no windows whatsoever. There was only one semi-decent office in the whole place. Would honestly have preferred to work in the kitchen it was so gloomy in the rest of the rooms. I really don't know why we put up with such awful building design.

Thankfully, we're now in a fairly modern, if unremarkable office with a fair amount of window space that actually opens (yay!). Southampton lads still have one windowless office though - poor old Dan has to put up with that one.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I know how you feel! and i dont even get that much sun light! i actually get 0%

My Eye's Burn when i go out side :|

stu
    Thank Post
    I love the fact the sun is actually rising now rather than skimming the horizon, it means its lighter earlier and later and makes me feel million times better waking up to day light or the first signs of sun rise at least rather then waking up to the dean of night, and when home at night it nice to have sun coming threw window, I think I'm part lizard.

Thank Post
    Tempted to post a photo of my 8'x5' window, the view of the countryside from it and the amount of sun streaming in to my office at the moment but I don't want to make you jealous

Done my time in a cupboard at my first job in mainstream, first thing I make a note of now when going anywhere!

Thank Post
    I love the sun. So much
    It's almost like it charges me.

At home it shines straight through the living room window about half 8.
    Sucks for watching TV, but sitting on the sofa with a nice coffee or orange juice (with the bits, has to have the juicy bits) with Sun glaring down on your face. You just know its going to be a good day from then on.

In the words of Katrina and the Waves
    I'm Walking on Sunshine
    WOOOOAAHOAAHHOAAHH

Thank Post
    We are fortunate enough to have a great view from our window.

Overlooks the Greenwich Naval College.

Pic from google... don't have a camera in the office.

Full Sunshine all day, so much infact that the blinds are partially closed..

Michael

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    I love the fact the sun is actually rising now rather than skimming the horizon, it means its lighter earlier and later and makes me feel million times better waking up to day light or the first signs of sun rise at least rather then waking up to the dean of night, and when home at night it nice to have sun coming threw window, I think I'm part lizard.
    I'm missing my dose of equatorial sun... my future in-laws have a 20 minute variance in day-length year round (just southeast of Nairobi). Not sure if i'd ever get bored of it.... though there's something to be said for living in "4 seasons in one day" Yorkshire

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    One wall (6m) is all windows in ours blinds nearly always closed Looks out over our 20 acre site (Doesn't seem to be a smug git icon shame)

Wes

Thank Post
    My broom cupboard doesn't have any windows but it does have a big skylight which is brilliant. I get lots of soft even light, no glare from the sun and no window looking out onto horrible kids. The only problem is that sometimes a socking great raven lands on it and frightens the sh!t out of me!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,635 Posts
    The server here has no natural daylight and not a great deal of artificial light either. It's crammed in a corner behind the photocopier next to a filing cabinet. The room I want to convert to a server room is better lit, but windowless too.

However, I spend very little time at the server, so it's not a problem. The sun is flooding in through the massive sash window in my tiny office and I can remote into the server to do most things. It's a beautiful day here.

Later on this morning, I have to go to set up a new PC in the Learning Support room, which has windows but doesn't get direct sunlight... I'm working up to it ; I don't want to move really

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    The server here has no natural daylight and not a great deal of artificial light either. It's crammed in a corner behind the photocopier next to a filing cabinet. The room I want to convert to a server room is better lit, but windowless too.
    Last server room had neither artificial nor natural light - only solution was to leave the door open whilst working :]

Thank Post
    Got windows on two walls here, SW and NW facing. Around 2pm the entire office is filled with light, and when there isn't direct sunlight I've got nice views of the countryside.

Thank Post
    Velux! Means I have to stare at the top of the same tree all day, but better than nothing!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast