+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, How many times do I have to watch shift happens? in General; I'm sure you have all seen shift happens... [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljbI-363A2Q"]YouTube - Did You Know; Shift Happens - Globalization; Information Age[/ame] I ...
    Thank Post

How many times do I have to watch shift happens?

I'm sure you have all seen shift happens...
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljbI-363A2Q"]YouTube - Did You Know; Shift Happens - Globalization; Information Age[/ame]

I have had to add music, change slides, watch it at our parents evenings and even watch it at my sons parent evening.

Anyway how about we add our own facts for a new one?

I'd start with there are 1.3 million twitter users, if twitter were a starbucks you's have to wait in a long queue for a mocha latte.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've only seen it 2 or maybe 3 times; it is good but I'd guess it does get a bit much after a while. The numbers are thought provoking but how much effect they have is hard to say.

Ray Fleming made a UK version of it which is available here with some notes about it.

I'd guess that it's omnipresence is down to the fact that it was released with a Creative Commons license. Could this be an example of where DRM might be a good idea :-)

Thank Post
    Thought provoking - mm not so sure. I would describe it as logical, well the one I've seen anyway (might have been the Flemming) Comparing children in China with our pupils here is not a fair comparison at all. "If the world were a village" has much more impact on the thought processes or even the least intelligent of people.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leco View Post
    Comparing children in China with our pupils here is not a fair comparison at all.
    Why not? I can't face watching the whole thing again, but what I think it says is that the number of gifted and talented children in China exceeds our total number of children.

A while ago that might not have been significant - the level of education in China wasn't very high but now their brightest kids are at least as good as ours and probably better.

We used to think that it didn't matter that we didn't have much in the way of industry left in the UK because we could just do "knowledge" industry instead. Now the Chinese (and Indians) can do all the traditional industry and all the technology and knowledge that we thought could keep us going. What's left for us to do now?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    First time I've seen and heard of it.

Carrying on from what srochford says, I think the reason for that is because in China, the aspirations and expectations of children are a great deal higher than here. Education, to them, is the door to a successful future.

Here, the key to a successful future is, in a lot of places, leeching from the government. But it is because the government allows and in some ways (maybe not directly) encourages this; that our aspirations are lower.

Thank Post
    I've seen it too many times I am thinking of doing a follow up given the world current events same title no "f"

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is going out on our IP TV system tomorrow morning, its seems to everywhere.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    Why not? I can't face watching the whole thing again, but what I think it says is that the number of gifted and talented children in China exceeds our total number of children.
    The reasoning behind my "not a fair comparison" comment is - given the number of children in China and the number of children in this country it is not really surprising that their so called gifted and talented children out-number ours. I was talking statistics. The presentation of which (and like you I can't bring myself to watch it again) is rather bald. If it had said something along the lines of per head of population - but it doesn't. Is this another example of British society (sorry huge sweeping statement here) allways being negative about itself?

What also struck me was the almost blind acceptance, by those viewing the presentation, that the figures are true. On what basis have they been compiled? Which research is being quoted? I do remember being left with more unanswered questions than I had answers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    On one hand do think people miss the point about it not the facts that are important but message they are getting across about globalisation and our young people. In fact most important part is 3 slides about 1.57 in talking about jobs young people will be doing in the future.

Facts do hold up not looked at them all granted. But for example china being number one English speaking country that holds up in fact it is expected that English language as we speak it will die out and broken English used by many eastern countries will be dominate one.

Thank Post
    Do you mean that it doesn't matter what the vehicle is as long as the message is understood? The end justifies the means? Tabloid newspapers do that every day then.

I agree that the message is about a future where jobs will be different. However, that has always been the case. I remember trying to choose options with my son, over 20 years ago, when the teachers didn't know what to recommend. At that time the job he wanted was in existence, the job he does now wasn't even dreamed of.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I do not mean that we should lie about it the facts but I do think you will find they stand up. What I am saying is the the use of facts is besides point the message behind it is important part.

As for jobs yes your right to certain degree but that 20 years ago it was to lesser degree. Jobs we have today (forgot about I.T specific jobs) are same apart from odd one.

The point video is making is that most jobs in future do not exist currently.

It goes back to point of and I hate term a phrase as it has negative view of Learning to Learn and becoming Life Long Learners (has anyone got house yet) so that young people can cope with the changing world which they will take part in.

Russ

Thank Post
    Multi-skilling the work force? Constant changes have a destabilising effect not to mention an amount of demoralisation.

Yes learning to learn is a skill that can be taught and learned. However, no amount of telling/displaying/presenting will make it so. Arguably we wouldn't now have global warming if it were so easy.
    Last edited by leco; 5th March 2009 at 09:24 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread