+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Promotion in General; ...
    Thank Post

Promotion

Hi first post but reading the forums for quite a while

Anyway I wanted to get some opinions on my current situation, I am currently full time Senior ICT Technician at a high school, I manage one other term time ICT Technician. We have 12 servers virtualized over 3 physical serevrs, roughly 350-400 desktops/laptops with 1200 users.

I recently asked to be moved up to Network Manager due to all the work I am doing as well as everything I will be doing in the near future which I feel a Network Manager would do, but have been told I can only go up to Senior Network Technician.

Couple of reasons why I believe my duties are Network Manager scale are

Going from 3 servers to 12 servers and virtualizing all roles with hyper-v.
    Implemeting terminal services so SIMS can run remotely on all desktops and laptops in the school.
    Creating a backup system that did not exist before.
    Enabling remote working from home for staff and pupils with Terminal services and TS web access.
    Creating a new external web site.
    In house networking and ICT suite builds along with caretaker.
    Implemented Exchange 2007 with OWA.

In the very near future I am expected to create a new in house VLE with sharepoint (we currently pay £1000s per year for a hosted system).
    Re-do all ICT security policies for all staff and pupils.

Dont want to bore you with all duties but this is just a few that I think a network manager would do but having never had a network manager in this school or ever worked with a network manager I am going off the job descriptions.

Could you let me know if you think I am being unreasonable in asking for Network Manager position or should I shut up and take what has been offered and do everything they want!

Thanks if you have read all this!

Thank Post
    Take it up with the council/ unions

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,692 Posts
    does your local authority not have 'standard' job descriptions? That would be the usual place to start, I would have thought

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    does your local authority not have 'standard' job descriptions? That would be the usual place to start, I would have thought
    Have checked the job descriptions from council and I believe I fit within the Network Manager job description, even went through every point on the description and put down job examples I currently do for my manager and headteacher but thought I would ask here to see if any current Network Managers can give their opinion or technicians who work for a network manager.

Cheers irsprint84, will have a look at what council can do to help as not in a union

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cable83 View Post
    Have checked the job descriptions from council and I believe I fit within the Network Manager job description, even went through every point on the description and put down job examples I currently do for my manager and headteacher but thought I would ask here to see if any current Network Managers can give their opinion or technicians who work for a network manager.

Cheers irsprint84, will have a look at what council can do to help as not in a union
    The defining factor between techie and network manager tends to come down to whether you actually manage any technical staff. As you say you do, I would suggest you should be a Network Manager. If I were you, before involving a union I would go to the LEA - they may not be happy that you are being forced by your school to do more work than you should be!

Butuz

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 1,455 Posts
    You have 2 options.

Option 1: Argue the point that your actual workload fits in with that of a network manager job description.

Option 2: Only do what a senior ICT Technician should do and no more.

Just because you do more than what your current level or job description is doesn't mean you have the right to a diffirent position.

If you were employed as a network manager and not being paid or having a job description that matched a network manager then that would be a different case again.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,635 Posts
    Hmmm... I sense politics in this one... or rather LEA job rules. If the school creates a network manager role, even if there is already someone doing the job (under a different title) they may have to advertise the position and interview to appoint someone to it, simply because it is a management position.

I would check with the LEA whether there are any rules that prevent direct promotion from your current role to a NM role without the school advertising and holding interviews.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread