+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, private work?? in General; Originally Posted by michael2k6 one of them is training for worlds strongest man - they all have their uses at ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by michael2k6 View Post
    one of them is training for worlds strongest man - they all have their uses at some point
    Dammit! My truck-load of heavy-duty horse harnesses has run out of diesel a mere 200 metres from my house, how ever am I going to get it home?! Hang on a minute, I've got an idea...

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Strange this thread came up today. Was talking to my colleague at work about how I need some extra cash/part time job since I'm scraping the barrel with my current wage being so low.
    He suggested we get together and do some IT work out of school. Him doing hardware, me on software.
    Also had someone from admin who needs me to go round and sort her email out, will probably ask for a tenner, will probably only take half hour, that should do it.
    Anyone here had much luck doing a regular 9-5 at school and juggling private work on a regular basis? Time constraints worry me, as do the availability of warranties and engineers! Although I've always noticed a demand from people who need wireless networks set up at home or upgrades etc...

I'd rather not have to do 6 hrs at a pub on saturdays...

Thank Post
    I usually charge £20 an hour - seems worth it for my expertise!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Anyone here had much luck doing a regular 9-5 at school and juggling private work on a regular basis? Time constraints worry me, as do the availability of warranties and engineers!
    Yes, I balance it reasonably successfully. I work with small businesses, with the following arrangement:

- at all sites, remote access is available to me
    - they know I work normally and we have a 4-hour email response, overnight-fix kind of arrangement
    - my boss is very understanding in allowing me to take brief "it's broken" calls during the day and to use my lunch hour to remote in and fix if I can, before making a site visit after work
    - if it's broken and I need to get on site, they are flexible about getting me into the relevant building after they would normally have gone home (it's to their advantage, after all)

It works, most of the time.

Thank Post
    Although I've always noticed a demand from people who need wireless networks set up at home or upgrades etc...
    It has struck me that there should be a market for a business-style managed service for home users, somone to keep your average home PC or laptop running smoothly and up-to-date and so on.

--
    David Hicks

PEO
    Thank Post
    usually charge £20 for the full job unless its setting up network then its £50, I also do a bit of web designing, which I charge around £200 for the full job... its a hobby and a little extra cash so Im happy

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    It has struck me that there should be a market for a business-style managed service for home users, somone to keep your average home PC or laptop running smoothly and up-to-date and so on.
    I can't think of anybody who would be brave (or stupid) enough to even try that one.... you'd never be off the phone!

Thank Post
    I do private work for staff here and get 'paid' with Guinness

Most of the work I get given is spyware / malware / virus type stuff.

Win win situtaion really - staff get a fully working PC again and it reduces the risk of the them bringing nasties into school

Thank Post
    Same as kgcs but I get paid in wine.

Thank Post
    Strange this thread came up today. Was talking to my colleague at work about how I need some extra cash/part time job since I'm scraping the barrel with my current wage being so low.
    He suggested we get together and do some IT work out of school. Him doing hardware, me on software.
    Also had someone from admin who needs me to go round and sort her email out, will probably ask for a tenner, will probably only take half hour, that should do it.
    Anyone here had much luck doing a regular 9-5 at school and juggling private work on a regular basis? Time constraints worry me, as do the availability of warranties and engineers! Although I've always noticed a demand from people who need wireless networks set up at home or upgrades etc...

I'd rather not have to do 6 hrs at a pub on saturdays...
    If you want regular well paid work to top up your wage I would seriously look at getting into teaching on community adult ed courses. I did that for many years when I was on a poor wage (and still do the odd bit now). Most colleges run a wide variety so I'm sure your skills would fit in somewhere. Many colleges also keep a register of part time lecturers or use an agency such as protocol. The pay is reasonably good (between about £18 & £25 an hour) and once you've taught a 10 week course it's often repeated so you can plan your stuff once and re-use it. To be honest I've often picked up private work from teaching those courses too. May be worth a look and it gives you some more options for the future.

11. Thanks to jcollings from:

powdarrmonkey (4th March 2009)

Thank Post
    Outside of school I am registered as Self Employed and this local company dishes out work to me, he charge £40/hour-residential and £60/hour business. I get paid £20/hour from this and it's working very nicely. Yes the travelling is a sod but anything over 30 miles he also pays me an allowance. Any private work I do is £25-30/hour.

I have the odd customer who cannot leave me alone, but apart from that it's good. My boss lets me hook up any machines I have to take away on our testing bench, the way I see that is I am constantly learning so it's benefitting the school.

I'm not great at asking for money, but the way I see it is that people don't mind paying the price for plumbers etc and in this day and age people cannot do without their computer and the constant need to stay in touch. I do worry sometimes that people are going to scoff at the price, but at the end of the day they are using your skills so why not

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by michael2k6 View Post
    I do jobs for people that can return the favour. I have regular folk who are qualified for gas, water electricity, brickies, carpet fitters, one of them is training for worlds strongest man - they all have their uses at some point. I kinked a radiator pipe for example at jsut gone ten at night. 2 plumbers round my house within 15 mins, floorboards up, new pipe laid new valve fitted, cost nothing.
    It's the way to go, i tell ya.
    Sounds like you are trying to assemble your own A-TEAM...well more like B team by the sounds of it.

Back on topic: Usually if its simple I just say give us enough for petrol and a bag of chips for tea.

Thank Post
    £20 private and £40 business, sometimes I can get away with £40 per hour for a private job, all depends on the person. If someone wants a bigger job doing, i.e. network setting up, full setup of x amount of systems and that I agree a price with them.

Thank Post
    so if someone said could you service my pc for me what would you do??
    just a virus/spyware scan, stop certain start up programs, registry clean??

Thank Post
    We do a PC Healthcheck for £39.99
    With this I run CCleaner, Malwarebytes, Super anti spyware, HIjack this, look at start up programs etc, some I can get done in an hour others take a bit longer. Also recommend memory upgrades etc using the crucial scanner

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast