+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Fewer Students Taking 'A' Level ICT as a Subject in General; Nah Pentiums that couldn't do long division were 60,66,90 and I think 100 had two errors but the division in ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Nah Pentiums that couldn't do long division were 60,66,90 and I think 100 had two errors but the division in question was very very excessive not many people suffered from that. The 486 problems were from fabrication issues.

His idea of "retro windows" is Win2k.. I've a good mind to VM 2.03, 3.0, 3.1, NT4, and OS/2 if I can find that, and say "right. THIS is retro. Now configure me a CDROM driver in DOS."

Might also see if I can find a 286/386 and say "build it up, get it running, install DOS and windows 3.x, lets see if you can..". I like the lad, I do, but...for all of his "Xenos academy" training, he seems remarkably lacking in some of the basics. heh.
    How about DOS 5, 6 (i think, see next parentheses) and 6.2 (Had doublespace which M$ shouldn't have allowed out because of copyright to another company) and then 6.22 (with the renamed drivespace) Ever tried to run Soundblaster pro parrot from a dos session from Win 3.1? A lot of fun as the sound drivers don't work

Anyone ever see OS/1? OS/2 and OS/2 Warp I've seen but not the first one I don't believe.

Wes
    Last edited by wesleyw; 3rd March 2009 at 09:12 PM.

Thank Post
    Ever tried using a null modem and DOS to transfer files. Or tried to figure out if you have EGA, CGA or VGA and then getting it wrong? Ever spent ages configuring your conventional memory so that you have enough free memory to play TIE-FIGHTER?

Code:
    MEM /C /P

INTERLNK.EXE
    Last edited by somabc; 3rd March 2009 at 09:18 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post

Might also see if I can find a 286/386 and say "build it up, get it running, install DOS and windows 3.x, lets see if you can..". I like the lad, I do, but...for all of his "Xenos academy" training, he seems remarkably lacking in some of the basics. heh.
    Mind those 240v power buttons! :P

I didn't have any IT related GCSE/A-levels available, so I did Maths, Physics and Chemistry. Computer science degree after that (which appears to simply be mostly maths).

COAST anyone? (Someone must know )

Thank Post
    The Intel's i486SX was a modified Intel 486DX microprocessor with its floating-point unit (FPU) disconnected. All early 486SX chips were actually i486DX chips with a defective FPU. If testing showed that the central processing unit was working but the FPU was defective, the FPU's power and bus connections were destroyed with a laser and the chip was sold cheaper as an SX; if the FPU worked it was sold as a DX.
    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_80486SX]Intel 80486SX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

5. Thanks to somabc from:

powdarrmonkey (3rd March 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnix View Post
    Free memory was something to take pride in.
    I remember that feeling (just)... nowadays, developers just don't care about wasted cycles or wasted memory or wasted HDD space or...

Remember having an 'optimisation' bit of a release cycle, squeeeeeezing every last ounce of wastage off a program so it took a hundred less cycles than before? Ah, nostalgia...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 740 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post

COAST anyone? (Someone must know )
    Are you talking about cache on a stick by any chance?

Thank Post
    oh yes. Double/drivespace, laplink cables and interlnk, even TIE fighter..actually, I'm 80% sure I saw the CD for that in the loft...!

I was saying yesterday about the 5.25 "beermat" drives..heh. or the Amstrad 3 inch! The council I worked for had an 8 inch (IIRC) drive...looked a bit like a twin-tub, all flashy neons and big yellowed buttons. Very funny to use, used to try and roll across the floor! Banks used that..

The old reel-to-reel tapes were a bank thing too..all feeding data into BACS. What a total lashup it was. Massive line at a time impact printers in acoustic housings.

I was an unfortunate owner of a 386/DX25 with a 32 bit problem..if I put Win3.x into 32 bit disk mode, all I got was beeping and fits from it. What about the Cyrix M1/M2/6x86? They were fun..and the Nexgen 5x86, which was a 486/DX4 100 with pentium class overtones, or the original AMD K5..ahhh. those were chips that stick in the memory (or in the case of Cyrix, the bin).

AARGH, COAST..oh dear yes. Doing some work for the British Red Cross (mums the accountant for 3 branches), I've run across in the last 3 years, 1 IBM 5150, 8088 CPU, 640k RAM, MDA graphics and greenscreen, and 2x 5.25 full height floppy drives..in active use!

I love old technology..
    Last edited by Sirbendy; 4th March 2009 at 09:24 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    Are you talking about cache on a stick by any chance?
    Is that like a router on a stick?

Edit: It seems not
    Last edited by powdarrmonkey; 4th March 2009 at 09:32 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    Is that like a router on a stick?

It was memory used in the 90s:

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cache_on_a_stick]Cache on a stick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

11. Thanks to tech_guy from:

powdarrmonkey (4th March 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    I wish I had Youtube at work (blocked by the LEA ). This reminded me of

Jeff Dunham - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jeff's character - José Jalapeño on a Stick. If you have Youtube take a look, it's not difficult to find. If not just say "on-a-stick" in a Mexican accent.

Cache "on-a-stick" - very funny sh*t!

Thank Post
    Going to see Dunham live in April

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I can't do a Mexican accent

Thank Post
    Well it felt like the coursework was so structured towards using access that there were no further options. Having thought about it a few years later examples of other database driven apps would have been better. Would have given a much greater understanding of the theory behind databases too.
    Mind you, our teacher did stand at the front of the class reading from the book we had on our desks in front of us.
    Think ICT needs to be much more practical and like projects in Graphics/Product Design need to be a lot more student driven. Teachers need to pick the pace up a bit and get the knowledge across so that students can then explore their own 'ICT' area. Theres too much to cover everything, but why can't teachers be more clued up in a broader area?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    His idea of "retro windows" is Win2k.. I've a good mind to VM 2.03, 3.0, 3.1, NT4, and OS/2 if I can find that, and say "right. THIS is retro. Now configure me a CDROM driver in DOS."
    Too modern. Try CP/M in QEMU?

Might also see if I can find a 286/386 and say "build it up, get it running, install DOS and windows 3.x, lets see if you can..".
    And that is just plain cruel! 4/5 floppies for DOS followed by around 12 floppies for Windows. Ouch! The hours spent swapping floppies just to install an OS. Show him Win'95 installed from CD and then change the default shell to PROGMAN?

Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    Ever tried using a null modem and DOS to transfer files.
    Even better still - how about getting him to set up an old school BBS? Ahhh - Life before the Internet!

Thank Post
    I remember the days when I had to add the cdrom and mouse drivers to your autoexec so it worked in DOS. How when you switched the power button, it was like unplugging it, and when you shutdown windows, it didn't shutdown the computer... those were the days.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast