+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
General Chat Thread, The rich get richer... in General; Originally Posted by silver Doesn't anyone else find Harriet's statement that the government can and will override the law rather ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by silver View Post
    Doesn't anyone else find Harriet's statement that the government can and will override the law rather scary?
    it's totaly predictable.....

this lot love passing law, i'm sure there's some statistics about the extraordinary number of new laws they've passed.

they also only pay lip service to existing law, if it doesn't suit then create a superseding law or use 'national security' to justifiy doing what the hell they want anyway.

I expect they could go down the route of giving fred godwin the minimum pension and then putting the ball in his court to sue for the rest. Or it could be that harman is out on her own on this one, and that apart from a bit of arm twisting they are not willing to go the extra mile to claw it back.

brown's words were clearly just posturing, methinks harman got a bit carried away and she'll be put back in line.

Thank Post
    This whole thing is a 'storm in a teacup', designed to divert attention, keep the press busy & the public outraged while all sorts of other more important but even worse news gets sidelined....

This is standard political process employed by political parties of all persuasions

Thank Post
    i agree broc, but how greedy is Fred godwin.

I was reading today how he was the highest paid Uk banker in 2000 following the natwest takeover, follow that up with a few more years of million pound plus earnings. Sure his RBS shares have probably whittled away to nothing, but it's not as if he couldn't have agreed to forgo half his pension quietly over the phone with lord myners. A man of his wealth would not miss a few hundred k a year, unless ofcourse he's been as good at investing money as he has in running RBS. I doubt he's been that daft with his own money [apart from having RBS share, LOL]

The guy is clearly very obstenate and greedy. Or perhaps he has an eye on his american cousins who were in charge of the investment banks and subprime lenders across the pond, some of whom have walked away with HUNDREDS of millions in earnings over recent years for mismanaging these companies.

Goodwins reward for failure is small change in comparison.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234