+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Expectations in General; I'm currently in the middle of programming a cashless payment system for our canteen, complete with integration with our door ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries

Expectations

I'm currently in the middle of programming a cashless payment system for our canteen, complete with integration with our door access system.

I was asked to start this about 2 weeks ago and am getting on well with it. (About 1000 lines of code so far).

However, today, my boss asked me if it could be ready for next half term...

So, I am supposed to create a complete system, which is stable and reliable, that integrates with 3 3rd party systems, and also allows for the accepting of cash at the desk, with equipment and a set of DLLs I've never seen or touched before in 8 weeks?

Not very realistic is it? I've said end of summer holidays would be more reasonable, so have been asked if I can get it done for May half term...

The expectations are astonishing! Anyone else do anything like programming and end up with ridiculous expectations?

(And the reason I've been asked to do this is because the commercial offerings we've had were far too expensive).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Feature creep along with deadline creep is a nasty caveate of software dev which is why it is so important to have a set plan at the start to act as a hard guide as to what the client can and cannot expect. I would be requesting the extra development team to make up the shortfall in time if they keep pushing. In fareness if you have not given them a firm estimate to start with it may just be a case of them not understanding the complexity of the job and how long it would actually take.

Thank Post
    Tell em you're saving them money and you're not superman if they want it done quicker either learn to code themselves or pay someone else to do it. else STFU

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    The expectations are astonishing! Anyone else do anything like programming and end up with ridiculous expectations?

(And the reason I've been asked to do this is because the commercial offerings we've had were far too expensive).
    Doesn't just apply in programming, any sort of project tends to suffer from feature creep, deadlines being moved closer, and unrealistic expectations. I've seen it happen in programming, database design, network design, and many other places.

General rule of thumb is work out the maximum length of time you think it could take, then double it. That way you'll probably deliver earlier.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information