+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Got a spare 5 mins - Need your help! in General; Originally Posted by elsiegee40 Australian? Have you got a death wish! There'll be a Kiwi hit squad out to get ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Australian?

Have you got a death wish! There'll be a Kiwi hit squad out to get you
    LOL totally forgot, just heard the accent, please forgive me SYNACK

Thank Post
    I live in the countryside and there are so many fatal accidents (one just last week) where young kids who've just passed their test go out and kill themselves and their friends.

Adverts like these need to be played in schools in the hope that it scares them into not speeding. All other advanced driving tests, discussions etc have been done but they are not haveing any effect.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    As for speeding, I've always raised the argument of why car manufacturers make cars which are capable of 100MPH+ (160KPH) when in the UK the max speed limit is 70MPH. If someone can explain that one to me I'd be grateful
    As I understand it - and I could be wrong - it's down to revolutions per minute compared to the size and weight of the car. If the engine cannot accelerate safely when say, overtaking then it is deemed dangerous, but to give that safety the engine must be able to propel the vehicle forward at a reasonable speed. However, and this is where it gets complicated, the gearbox has to be built to take all the pressures placed upon it by the engine which basically means higher gear ratios.

Most manufacturers do take advantage of this and promote there cars as being quicker than their rivals. A change is starting to occur though as all cars in the UK are limited to 155mph and the need to reduce fuel emissions is having an effect.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Interesting theory Alan. I'm not sure whether cars today are lighter than cars manufacturerd 50 years ago (I would of thought they would be). I stumbled across this and this which is interesting. Definitely looks like something could be in the pipeline after all.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,679 Times in 2,272 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by originofsymmetry View Post
    LOL totally forgot, just heard the accent, please forgive me SYNACK

I'll forgive you, but just this once

It's a shame we've got to the stage where there are drivers that still do not wear seat belts despite the years of campaigning. Surely someone could event a technology which wouldn't allow you to drive without wearing it? I'm sure it's possible.

I find it strange that the seatbelt problem still exists in the UK, that war was largely won over ten years ago here. You are right that it would be simple to implement, infact most modern cars have all of the appropriate sensors and would just need a tiny rewire to make this happen, I could personally rewire my car to do this with about NZD$20 worth of gear (automotive relay and 1m of wire). I guess that they leave it there so as not to alienate the non-seatbelt crowd and for times like when you are moving the car 20m in a drive way or something where having to put on a seatbelt would be annoying.

Unfourtunatly I can't find any of the seatbelt ads on youtube but they were plenty gory, children going through windscreens and landing on other peoples windscreens type of thing.

As for speeding, I've always raised the argument of why car manufacturers make cars which are capable of 100MPH+ (160KPH) when in the UK the max speed limit is 70MPH. If someone can explain that one to me I'd be grateful
    This is obviously possible, not so much from a mechanical point of view as it would make the car infuriating to drive but electronicly. Almost all cars comming out of Japan are electronicly limited to 180km/h even stuff like the Skylines and Evos. It would just require this to be dropped to a lower speed to implement this.

I think that some of the reason that this has not been implemented - additional to the perception - is partially safety. Sometimes you do need a quick boost of speed to get you out of a dangerous situation, possibly not 180 but sometimes the only way out of danger is to get past it before it rains car parts down on you.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    I guess that they leave it there so as not to alienate the non-seatbelt crowd and for times like when you are moving the car 20m in a drive way or something where having to put on a seatbelt would be annoying.
    Its probably also that they don't want to risk the chance that cars won't start because one sensor's malfunctioned.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12