+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, New job at last!!!! in General; Originally Posted by ITWITCH Well done! I took the job anyway, but was forewarned - on my first day I ...
    Thank Post

Re: New job at last!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ITWITCH
    Well done!
    I took the job anyway, but was forewarned - on my first day I asked the senior tech straight out if he was going to teach me anything, or even allow me to look over his shoulder when he mended stuff, and he said 'NO'
    Which at least meant that I knew where I stood. I
    Why would anyone not want to show someone how to do things ?

Everything I do I show my techs, if only so I know I won't be getting a call when I have time off. Not only that but they become more competent, they like me, and I can then pass all the stuff I consider boring off to them (which is anything I have to do more than twice). Which leaves me time to read edugeek.

Personnally I would be tempted to use liberal application of a LART to this so called Senior Tech.

But then I'm just a sad open source technohippy, who actually thinks that its nice to share, because then someone might share back.

Regards

Martin Stevens
    Network Manager

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by budgester
    Well done!
    I took the job anyway, but was forewarned - on my first day I asked the senior tech straight out if he was going to teach me anything, or even allow me to look over his shoulder when he mended stuff, and he said 'NO'
    Because they may think the learner may be able to do a better job at it than them?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    Quote Originally Posted by budgester
    Well done!
    Because they may think the learner may be able to do a better job at it than them?
    Of course that is the obvious reason, but it's not a good reason and if I was the Networks Manager there, the senior tech would get an official warning.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries

As far as I am concerned that is one of the ideas ... I know I am getting on and set in my ways ... I'm no spring chicken and I have been doing this for far too long (heck ... I started in the glory days of '99!!!)

I want the team to be better at things than me ... or at least aim to be.

I know we should use the correct phrasing for things nowadays (baa baa, rainbow sheep, etc) and we should not say that SysAdmins are lazy ... rather that they are striving for optimal time efficiency (the most time doing nothing) ... and you don't get much more efficient than having someone else do it for you ... especially if you have spent the last year or so training them to be that way!!!

Then again ... if you are just lazy and can't be bothered doing stuff and rely on your PFY too much ... one day it will come back to haunt you. (namely the day they leave and you have to do some work ... only to find they have nicked the internals of your workstation!)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    As far as I am concerned that is one of the ideas ... I know I am getting on and set in my ways ... I'm no spring chicken and I have been doing this for far too long (heck ... I started in the glory days of '99!!!)

I want the team to be better at things than me ... or at least aim to be.

... and you don't get much more efficient than having someone else do it for you ... especially if you have spent the last year or so training them to be that way!!!
    started in 99, your still noob :-)

I want the team to aim to be better than me, but with all that extra time I get from being efficient I train myself to be more efficient

. So as long as I'm at least one step ahead of them, thats cool, it's got to the point now when my lads try and outdo me by ganging up (Team working). So far they they still bow down to my l33t h4x0r skills. But as a department we are a happy productive bunch.

richard

Well I have just been asked if I can start on the 1st August

So now off to see the head to hand in my resignation

Thank Post

As Alex said, be civil. Don't burn you bridges just yet.

richard

I'm not going to burn my bridges. I will contuinue to do my job to the best of my ability until I leave.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WITCH
    Well done!
    Will you get the chance to meet your replacement as it would be nice to pass on a few carefully worded remarks
    I was offered a job in a local high school and I asked to meet the outgoing tech - school very reluctant - eventually agreed and I found all sorts of problems between the tech and the senior tech - mostly to do with allowing the tech to actually repair anything and also with teaching the tech new stuff (which was my main reason for wanting the job - stated as such in the interview)
    Which at least meant that I knew where I stood. I spent a term trying to get it sorted out with the various levels of management - but in the end, reluctantly, I left. It was a nice school and the people were great, but at the end of the day I just wanted to learn and could not get the opportunity.
    My point is, try not to drop the next poor sod in the proverbial
    Good luck in your new job :wav:
    Hmmm, do I have a clone that follows me around??? Sounds rather familiar

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,382 Times in 1,676 Posts

Are you saying that I am a clone of you (unlikely, given that I am in Dorset and female), or that the guy I worked for was!!

Seriously though, I think the tech at that school had huge issues about seniority, pay etc (I think they put me on the same scale!). The network manager was very part-time and the IT co-ordinator was not exactly dynamic when it came to management.
    It was a shame though, as I agree with the general opinion that it is good to teach, and in my small way I try to do the same with the teachers, so that I can get on with the more technical stuff. After all, there is always going to be more stuff to do, isnt there?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,064 Times in 755 Posts

Well done to that man "Richard" don't forget though!
    Set your stall as you would like it and not how everybody and their baby wants it.

Good Luck

richard

Quote Originally Posted by bossman
    Well done to that man "Richard" don't forget though!
    Set your stall as you would like it and not how everybody and their baby wants it.

Good Luck
    I'm actually very lucky as I have designed the network that I am going to be taking over and I have it in writing that I will have the freedom to do what is required as long as I keep within budgetary constraints.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WITCH
    Are you saying that I am a clone of you (unlikely, given that I am in Dorset and female), or that the guy I worked for was!!

Seriously though, I think the tech at that school had huge issues about seniority, pay etc (I think they put me on the same scale!). The network manager was very part-time and the IT co-ordinator was not exactly dynamic when it came to management.
    It was a shame though, as I agree with the general opinion that it is good to teach, and in my small way I try to do the same with the teachers, so that I can get on with the more technical stuff. After all, there is always going to be more stuff to do, isnt there?
    Your situation at that place sounds familiar to mine hence y i am job shopping.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information