+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, I want to build a water cooled PC in General; Has anyone done it before? I'm looking for a half demanding task to do at home and I didn't know ...
    Thank Post

I want to build a water cooled PC

Has anyone done it before? I'm looking for a half demanding task to do at home and I didn't know how hard building a Water Cooled PC is compared with building a normal PC.

I don't actually have a reason to have a Water Cooled PC either, I don't tend to over clock or do anything graphically demanding. But then this is because I have been scared to experiment. It would be nice to learn over clocking and starting playing games with stupid graphics.

So yes, how challenging is it to build a Water Cooled PC and how expensive does it tend to be?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This site seems to give a fairly reasonable discussion on the whole thing: PC water cooling basics

I wouldn't have thought its too hard at all though, since essentially you're building a normal PC, but cooling it with water rather than a fan. The components are available, and I'd guess you might be looking at most at a couple of hundred more than building a standard PC. Never actually tried it myself though so I could be completely off the mark.

Thank Post
    Best bet is to read up and with water cooling because you can open up a whole can of worms if your not careful.

Leaks or bubbles in your loop can spell disaster for your components.

Thank Post
    RTFM is the best advice i can give,

ive built a few back in the days they first came out......the novelty soon wears off, i even built myself a PC filled with Vegetable Oil!!!

oooh those were the days, now if i even buy a hard drive the missus goes berserk!

Thank Post
    Water cooling is very last century, you need oil submersion.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    Water cooling is very last century, you need oil submersion.
    liquid nitrogen ftw

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    liquid nitrogen ftw
    Don't you mean liquid helium FTW?
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB0JodKgZ0A"]YouTube - AMD Phenom II Overclocked to 6.5GHz - New World Record for 3DMark[/ame]

Thank Post
    I've currently got a watercooled computer as my main system (at home, wouldnt be allowed at work) Currently watercooled Intel Core2 processor and two ATI Radeon X1900's. It took ages to get the air out of the processor block, plus you do have to keep an eye on the water level (or liquid coolant if that is what you use) as it seems to go down even if there are no leaks

Reason I did it was I wanted to see if I could, plus the number of fans I would have had is silly. Also you may want to find some kind of monitoring board/software/whatever to check that your pump is running or shutdown the computer if not. My computer BSOD'd the other day which resulted in the pump being switched off, that wasnt the greatest few seconds of my life

If you want to ask any more questions or you want to see some pictures of what it took to do, let me know!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    If you listen to the video clip its both !!!

Liquid nitrogen to get it down to minus 190 or so and then the liquid helium to make the temp even lower.

Thank Post
    Also pay attention to this thread - an old one, but timeless

Kramer and other members promoting water cooling- you have alot to answer - AVForums.com

Thank Post
    You need to build TEC PC. Thermo Electric Cooling on a home machine is blatantly the way forward.

- I have a water cooled PC. I like it, its very, very quiet. I've built a couple for friends aswell. I've got one at the minute with it built into the case, as in I bought it with a the pump and reservoir and a single loop pre built in with junctions built in to easily add extra water blocks on. With it being built in all the low coolant/blockage/stoppage alarm, flow meter, temp guage, fan speed controller is all their for you, all built into the case itself.
    Other big advantage is it came with a warranty (18months in this case) so if it leaks I'm actually covered for my pc parts.

The case I've got with a single loop for the cpu in was 300quid. Tubing for another device is about 10 quid with connectors, decent waterblocks are between 30 and 250ish depending on what you are cooling, graphic card blocks are the most expensive, harder to set up efficiently if you are running SLI/CrossFire.

You can buy water cooling kits to put into exsisting cases, with the all the bits needed. Usually they come with just a CPU block. You can also get totally self contained units that will fit in drivebays (usually two) which you can then just run the tubes off and fit whatever waterblock you've chose too. Then there's obviously the option of buying the parts separately, radiator, reservoir etc etc and fitting them all yourself.

200+ In my opinion for something thats worth using. Not difficult to set up really, its most difficult finding room for everything in your case. Just double check all the fittings before you put the water in. (Use a "coolant" by the way, its pretty much distilled water with extra techno rubbish thrown in sometimes, stops it getting mould on the tubes and stuff like that, will probably come with what ever kit you buy and you get it in pretty colours.)

Thank Post
    might start saving my pennies to try build one then.

My system at home is a few years old, its a nice system but nothing amazing these days.

and atm, can't really afford liquid nitrogen OR liquid Helium.

Thank Post
    Yeah i've been running water cooled for a couple of years now
    CPU, North bridge and GPU

I suggest buying plenty of pipework and planning the system out properly before you start

The pipe can be quite rigid and as such you want just the right amount for each jump between components

It's worked well, i've only had one small leak which luckily was from quite low in the case and so pooled in the base but didn't get on any components.
    However for this reason i won't leave it running unattended (definately when out of the house but even overnight if i can help it)

Thank Post
    I've saved my pennies, yes that was quick. I love pay day.

I have about 700, do you have any websites good for watercooling kits, not only explaining what and how, but also where to buy.

I usually use Scan for everything but they don't seem to have a huge amount of stuff

Thank Post
    oil submersion ftw!buy fish tank, put computer in (minus hard drive) and your done

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast