+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, I want to build a water cooled PC in General; Thanks for that. One last question, I should hope (I really am new to this, just want to make sure ...
    Thank Post
    Thanks for that.

One last question, I should hope (I really am new to this, just want to make sure everything goes right)

I'm thinking of using this kit:
    Scan.co.uk: 5060175581082 - XSPC X2O 750 Dual Complete WaterCooling Kit for AMD and Intel CPU's

with this gfx block:
    Scan.co.uk: 3831109835173 - EK-FC5770 - White Acetal

the kit used 7/18" tubing and the block uses a 1/4" thread. So this might be a really stupid question, but all the hose fittings seem to be 1/4" thread to 1/2" or 3/8".

Is it the 3/8" i need or am I specifically looking for 7/18" fittings?

Thank Post
    Is it a really stupid question?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,734 Times in 2,015 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rolfea View Post
    do you have any websites good for watercooling kits, not only explaining what and how, but also where to buy.
    Chilled PC has a far better selection of watercooling components compared to Scan. They sell several kits too.

Quote Originally Posted by rolfea View Post
    I really am new to this, just want to make sure everything goes right
    You should find the links in this thread on the XtremeSystems forums really helpful.

Thank Post
    Thanks, the thread wasn't all the useful and quite hard to follow though.

Thank Post
    Blocks and radiators etc should have 1/4" BSP threaded holes (also known as G1/4) if your chosen hardware is hip n' trendy, altho I still stand by my original statements around the net that G3/8 threads on radiators is better. <bitch>That's why ThermoChill rads were all 3/8" threaded until I departed, then the XSPC / WatercoolingUK boys bought the brand and converted everything to G1/4 without checking the performance losses thoroughly enough.</bitch>

Anyways, sounds like you want 7/16" ID hose therefore your fittings should be 1/4" thread to 1/2" hose.

As 7/16" is slightly smaller than 1/2", the tubing will be a nice snug fit on the barbs, and thus means you won't need hoseclamps to keep it all in place. You also end up with a smaller overall tube OD, which means your system ends up less cluttered and you can manage some tighter bends. See Tubing Review - 18 Types of Tubing Reviewed [56k warning] - XtremeSystems Forums

If you want to get the RIGHT choice tho, have a read of this: TUBE / HOSE SIZES COMPARED: 6mm vs 8mm vs 10mm vs 12mm vs 3/8" vs 7/16" vs 1/2" - O-CuK Forums but don't bother posting questions there - that site is just an archive from when we were still in business.

If you want to be sure that your selected bits will cool the hardware that you want it to cool, take a look at HOW TO: Spec-ing Up A Waterkit - O-CuK Forums (altho not sure if the links to the various calculators are up to date/working anymore, they're worth a try).

Most of all, before you start, read and digest thoroughly: Watercooling Myths Exposed | Overclockers

XtremeSystems is still the best place to find anything out in terms of watercooling component performance. You'll have to wade thru it to find stuff, but be warned, the reviews there are done semi-properly, so everything tends to be approached from an empyrical-testing standpoint where possible.

Personally I'd say give all your business to Tom @ ChilledPC and tell him I sent ya... he knows what he's talking about more than most in the UK Scene.

You need to build TEC PC. Thermo Electric Cooling on a home machine is blatantly the way forward.
    No - you really don't, and it really isn't - if chasing those levels of extreme, pick up a MkII Prometeia and get it regassed to R507 and run the cpu at -80degC - it'll cost far less, and be far easier to maintain. They (TECs) are massively power inefficient, and disastrous when they fail. You'll find your electric bill ends up thru the roof from running one. I spent several years running 226w TEC on CPU, 156w TEC on GPU, and 80w TEC on Northbridge. Ended up with approaching 1kW of heatload getting dumped into the watercooling system which meant muchos fans. The prep work to avoid condensation itself means the motherboard and CPU end up out of warranty also... see http://www.over-clock.co.uk/ivb/inde...showtopic=1103
    Last edited by Marci; 1st December 2010 at 09:02 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi

If you want to be silly like I was a few years ago and put the whole pc in a fridge.

Richard

Thank Post
    first thing i was like you a year ago,alway looking to challenge myself,that and i got tired of heat issues while i was gaming so i decided
    to try water cooling..so i studied all about it.it was not hard to do but you need to plan it..im updating my watercooling tommorow 1/21/2012
    i would love to show you step by step as i do it..being still new at it I would love to help you with the steps

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123