+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Local to roaming in General; Following a recent "unforeseen" circumstance I have been requested to change some of the user accounts on the school system. ...
    Thank Post

Local to roaming

Following a recent "unforeseen" circumstance I have been requested to change some of the user accounts on the school system. There are a small number of users that have Local accounts, these are to be changed to network accounts.

Are there any special considerations that I need to think about, given that some are SIMs users? I might add that network accounts exist already for these users but are just not used. Thanks.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    From the SIMS point of view I wouldn't think there should be any impact, unless you're using Windows Integrated login to SIMS .net, in which case you'd need to update the accounts being used through System Manager.

3. Thanks to jamesb from:

leco (24th February 2009)

Thank Post
    How about things like My Docs, favorites etc. If they have been using lcoal accounts do you need to backup all their work to transfer it over to the network? One thing I had with a similar account setup was the exam officer who had stored all their favorites locally and not made a note of where they needed to go for exams information.

Other than the obvious transfer of data I cant see a problem. You may get the obvious complaint that they now cant do as much if their account is locked down more, but so long as they can carry out their work it should be fine.

5. Thanks to penfold from:

leco (24th February 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    From the SIMS point of view I wouldn't think there should be any impact, unless you're using Windows Integrated login to SIMS .net, in which case you'd need to update the accounts being used through System Manager.
    With ref to windows integrated login: They have a shortcut, they have to type into the sims.net login box, it does not logon automatically. Presumably I will have to edit this for the "new" account?

Penfold: with regard the My Docs, favourites etc. I was thinking that a Files and settings transfer operation would do?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    [quote=leco;294900]With ref to windows integrated login: They have a shortcut, they have to type into the sims.net login box, it does not logon automatically. Presumably I will have to edit this for the "new" account?[quote]

Unless they use their current network username and password to login to SIMS .net, and not a separate SIMS username and password, you're safe. If they do use their current username and password then it will have difficulty, but thinking about it I doubt this is the case, since they're using local accounts to the system rather than domain accounts.

Thank Post
    Believe you can just use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard built into Windows. Works pretty well.

Thank Post
    I was just thinking about the places that users tend to save things (such as desktop) so long as the user has saved their documents in one place its fine. Just be sure to tell them that you will transfer their local documents to the network, but if you miss some because they are stored all over the laptop you cant help that.

If there were no restrictions with the local accounts then you could end up with work all over the place, so make sure you get the user to ensure they have everything in 1 place before you move it.

Thank Post
    I know at least one user will have files all over the place (my boss!) plus he won't know where they all are. Need to think of how to sort that one.

All the SIMs users have separate login details for .net - ie. different user name and password. Had an issue not long back where one changed their local user password and they couldn't connect to SIMs any more. So need to think about that too.

Perhaps the main issue I might have (?) is with the Bursar - user of FMS which is not yet integrated into .net

Think I need to contact my SIMs support to ask for advice.

Thanks guys, I'll let you know how I get on, when I eventually find time to actually do it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    dont forget the outlook.pst file hidden away in Appdata if they have outlook set up to be just used locally too

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,695 Times in 2,285 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just log on as an administrator to the local machine and copy the users profile from documents and settings straight to the profile share on the server. Point to it in AD and when you log on everything usually works as before. You may need to move my documents from the profile folder to the redirected location on your server depending on your group policy settings.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    dont forget the outlook.pst file hidden away in Appdata if they have outlook set up to be just used locally too
    Thanks for the reminder though they shouldn't have a local as we run Exchange (one of the reasons they also have network accounts)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Just log on as an administrator to the local machine and copy the users profile from documents and settings straight to the profile share on the server. Point to it in AD and when you log on everything usually works as before. You may need to move my documents from the profile folder to the redirected location on your server depending on your group policy settings.
    Gosh what a simple solution, does it really work? Come to think of it there is little reason that it wouldn't. Except that there would be a conflict with some of the folders in the network share. Mm more food for thought, thanks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread