+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Not the right moment in General; I've always loved unions and this pay request has got to be one of the best jokes of the century. ...

Thank Post

Not the right moment

I've always loved unions and this pay request has got to be one of the best jokes of the century.

Not knocking teachers here, knocking their union

Maybe someone needs to send them an email and explain that the country doesn't have any money at the moment and to come back later - maybe 2-3 years later and re-plead the case then

Also, the phrase, job and lucky (including us) to have one comes to mind

Difference between human race and sheep is very little at times

regards
    Simon

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    I've always loved unions and this pay request has got to be one of the best jokes of the century.

Not knocking teachers here, knocking their union
    While not entirely disagreeing - us taxpayers did seem to have enough cash to make sure the bankers get nigh on a billion in bonuses this year, even after completely stuffing the rest of us...

Thank Post
    us taxpayers did seem to have enough cash to make sure the bankers get nigh on a billion in bonuses this year,
    Just no legit way to cancel the bonuses - there will be next recession

regards
    Simon

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Isn't it just a well worked legal loophole, as any other business that went to the wall the workers surely wouldn't get paid let alone bonuses. The rich always protect themselves and the law is for sale.

Thank Post
    The banks haven't gone to the wall so no loophole required - if the gov/banks had tried to stop bonuses they would have been sucessfully sued for breach of contract

And although it seems wrong, in the great juggling act going on at the moment - is pretty much small beer.

regards

Simon
    Last edited by SimpleSi; 22nd February 2009 at 08:43 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    All the banks are to blame for the crash, and should be paying for everything to be put right. Yes those companies that have gone out of business were the weak ones, but none of them would have suffered if the banks hadn't done what they did. I hear the banks were renegotiating contracts with their cleaning companies to drive down their costs.. those people are being hit twice - one by the recession caused by their employers and hen their employers screwing them for lower wages.

They can only sue for breach of contract because the government is letting them. The government let them loose to make obscene loans in the first place.

Thank Post
    What a joke, a 10% pay rise they should just be grateful that they work in a profession that is likely to be relatively untouched by a recession and a 2.3% rise is better than most will recieve. This just further demonstrates to me further how out of touch the profession is with industry. I know alot of people leaving uni this year with low hopes for employment looking to do a PGCE so far from being a shortage i can see the downturn bringing more students into teaching in the hope of safe employment.

Thank Post
    I like the picture on the BBC site. Especially the placard the woman is holding. Problem is all of the people that can't read it. Deduct 10% from teacher wages until there are easier ways to remove the crap teachers ruining schools with poor discipline and no ability.

If you detect any grammar errors please see my former teachers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Oh wow. This is just plain stupid. Our national debt is increasing constantly, with local governments having lost massive amounts of money due to the collapse of Iceland's banking system and our own. We've got an increasing number of people wanting to use services due to an increase in unemployment, which is burning through what money they do have.

Where do they expect this money to come from? It can't just be pulled out of thin air! It will come from tax increases. Something that those of us who actually *are* struggling to pay bills (even though we have a secure-ish job) will end up paying too.

£3000 or a 10% increase. They live in a freaking dream world don't they??

Thank Post
    Teaching staff wage increases have meant that we can barely afford to employ my technician and when he leaves in July I can't see the school hurrying to replace him. I can't see me getting a pay rise either (despite my workload increasing again).

I think that the quote about not letting an economic downturn prevent teachers getting a 10% rise just sums up how out of touch they are.

Thank Post
    This is crazy. As said above they should be happy that they are in a job that the recession (For now) should leave virtually untouched, I know I am.
    This does nothing to help improve the view of the profession in the eyes of the general public.

Thank Post
    the 2.3% offer for the teachers is very generous in light of the fact we are only part of the way through the worst economic downturn since the great depression.

they should count themselves very fortunate that they are getting positive pay increases and continued job security. {3million + unemployed in the wider economy anyone ?}

the union are merely doing what unions do, i don't expect the govt. to take a blind bit of notice, however there's an interesting dynamic to teacher pay.

it's a given that the tories or a tory/libdem coalition will take power in 2010, the tories know that they have to reassess profligate and unsustainable nulabour public spending commitments and look at the possibility of tax rises....they also claim that education and health will not be the areas to suffer in terms of spending cuts,

however i for one would be very annoyed if that policy is used to continue to offer teacher 2 and 3% annual pay increases as the economy will continue to be in poor health, especially when the rest of the working populace are dealing with far worse.

very few in the public sector, least of all teachers, should consider themselves safe from a global depression and the consequences of out of control national debt. the future economic situation requires some very tough decisions to be made. 10% pay rises is very much cloud cuckoo land. 2.3% pay increases are in all honesty a bit la la land aswell....don't believe me ? look at the economic figures to see the bigger picture.

Thank Post
    The irritating thing is the whole attitude towards teachers pay and support staff pay.

With teachers the school have to pay the going rate - they are standard across the whole country. Support staff - they can pay what they like. OK here we have a set of County 'reccomended' grades but the school don't seem to listen to them and just pay what they feel like (and then lie to staff about what they're getting) - oh and ignore questions about how it's worked out etc.

If there's a funding problem in the school, it's the support staff who will be the ones losing out.

For the past few years we've been trying to get another full-timer hired in, the response has always been "no money" - yet then the school go and introduce a load of new responsibility posts, paying TLRs and then generous lumps of non-contact time?! Its quite galling to be told that you can't work extra hours as there's no money to pay for them (at sh*t pay) - but then hear how an "educational consultant" is being brought in. At £800 a day. For a week.

As for the strikes, it'd probably take quite a few teachers going out to shut our school, and even if the kids were sent home the rest would be in doing rainy-day jobs. But if just one member of support staff - the caretaker - went out, that would be everyone gone!
    Last edited by grumpy_git; 22nd February 2009 at 03:44 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts
    My partner, mrwITch, works for a very large telecomms company and has not had a pay rise for the last 2 years. He would be very happy with 2 or 3 % and so would I.
    Teacher's pay is not too bad these days when you take into account the good pension and other things - actually most of the teachers in the schools I work in did say that the last time they were asked to strike - (no NUT members so they didn't.) They were more concerned with the union getting involved to help reduce the stupid amounts of paperwork so that they could actually get on with teaching.
    Some of them are aware of how bad the NUT makes them look.
    Having said that, I find that the teachers who are married to other teachers are the worst as they have NO idea how things work in the outside world - particulary when it comes to working hours. A lot of them seem to think that people who work 9-5.30 do just that - never doing extra, and never taking work home!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy_git View Post
    The irritating thing is the whole attitude towards teachers pay and support staff pay.

With teachers the school have to pay the going rate - they are standard across the whole country. Support staff - they can pay what they like. OK here we have a set of County 'reccomended' grades but the school don't seem to listen to them and just pay what they feel like (and then lie to staff about what they're getting) - oh and ignore questions about how it's worked out etc.

If there's a funding problem in the school, it's the support staff who will be the ones losing out.

For the past few years we've been trying to get another full-timer hired in, the response has always been "no money" - yet then the school go and introduce a load of new responsibility posts, paying TLRs and then generous lumps of non-contact time?! Its quite galling to be told that you can't work extra hours as there's no money to pay for them (at sh*t pay) - but then hear how an "educational consultant" is being brought in. At £800 a day. For a week.

As for the strikes, it'd probably take quite a few teachers going out to shut our school, and even if the kids were sent home the rest would be in doing rainy-day jobs. But if just one member of support staff - the caretaker - went out, that would be everyone gone!
    that's what happens when you have a central govt. who've created a growth industry in consultancy......this isn't restricted to education it applies to other parts of the public sector and to local govt. But nothing like leaving the stresses of the classroom behind to take up a post in this most lucrative of cottage industries.....telling others how to suck eggs. Or even better, you can exploit an opportunity and transfer any educaitonal experience you may have from the corporate sector into state education and command a hefty fee. money for old rope.

you may or may not recall some time ago that i posted a pdf highlighting how an entire industry has grown up with the sole intent of bidding for and winning lucrative govt. contracts in the nhs, education, defence etc. this is what the incumbent govt. likes to encourage....it's easier to award contracts to this lot than to allocate and ringfence the funding to pay support staff sufficient wages across the board to enable them to both spend AND save and for them to have wages commensurate with the skill levels.

this plus the use of consultants, advisers and layers of middle mgmt is symptomatic of a malaise in public bodies. not that this this unique to the public sector.....but it's worrying when you have that many layers of mgmt allocating funding and making decisions and putting forth a new dictat or target every week for schools and other education centres to follow, and yet they are so far removed from the day to day operations of indivudual schools.

imagine if you took a broom to all this 'waste', how many thousands of non-jobs and overpaid talking shops would you add to the unemployment figures ?
    How would repossessions skyrocket if you got rid of people whose only transferrable skill is knowing how to talk the hind legs off a donkey ?

that's why i say it's not sustainable this blackhole of funding - it's a house of cards a heavy broom away from collapsing, but no politician is brave enough to rain on the party.....sorry for going off on a tanget, teacher pay is indeed a seperate issue to all this and those teachers who work on the front line are doing an infintely more valuable job than a lot of these chancers.....but i was responsing specifically to your point about the use of consultants.

i know because i've had to listen to enough of their drivel. And have been astounded at how much some of these people have been paid to provide 'services' for schools.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast