+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Gumtree Scam? in General; I've put my Bass amp and Cab for sale on Gumtree and have had the following replies (same person different ...
    Thank Post

Angry Gumtree Scam?

I've put my Bass amp and Cab for sale on Gumtree and have had the following replies (same person different e-mail accounts!!), I am convinced the following is a Scam, what puzzles me is why!?

Hello

Saw your advert that you have an item for sale.Is the item still available?what is last price you wish to sell the item.

Await your response.

Paul
    I replied to say yes it is. I'm a bit puzzled as to why he made NO reference to the fact it's a bass amp and cab for sale, just referred to them as item!

Thanks for your swift response. I am highly interested in buying the Item from you and also ready to make the payment as soon as possible all depends on you. We reside in Swansea but I am in London on a business trip. I will instruct my partner to issued a certified cheque for your payment and as soon as the cheque clears into your account.I will arrange the pick up of the item and get all the necessary documents from you. So that the item can be send to my Son for his birthday gift, who is presently studying in Italy.

Kindly furnish me as soon as possible with the details

below;

Full Name:

Postal Address:

Post Code:

Cell Phone:

Total Cost:

Your urgent response will be highly appreciated with all the information require in other for my partner to send the payment out to your address without any further delay.

Kindly send me some pictures, so that I can forward it tomy son.

Await you response.

Paul Cooper
    So he wants to buy a heavy bass head (amp) and a very large cab and SHIP them to Italy!

My question originally was going to be if anyone thought this may be genuine (I could use the cash!) but now I'm convinced it's a scam, but I can't work out how it's going to work! Any one any ideas?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cell phone? Heh, just ignore and don't go near them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    This guy doesn't live in Swansea. He lives in Nigeria. The 'certified' cheque will be drawn from a foreign bank, and will appear to clear, then bounce later once your bank discovers it is forged/stolen. This takes longer than it would with a UK bank, and in the meantime...

...the cheque will be for more than the cost of the item (probably much more) and they'll ask you to send the balance back (or onto their 'shipping agent') before the cheque is rejected.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    This guy doesn't live in Swansea. He lives in Nigeria. The 'certified' cheque will be drawn from a foreign bank, and will appear to clear, then bounce later once your bank discovers it is forged/stolen. This takes longer than it would with a UK bank, and in the meantime...

...the cheque will be for more than the cost of the item (probably much more) and they'll ask you to send the balance back (or onto their 'shipping agent') before the cheque is rejected.
    I'd wondered about it possibly being drawn on a foreign bank! as for it being more than the item, I have heard of those scams. It's all becoming clear now!

Joe

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread