+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, How much would you charge? in General; Originally Posted by Ayaz Really? I thought one could work more than one job at a time? And it would ...
    rad
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayaz View Post
    Really? I thought one could work more than one job at a time? And it would not affect my school job in the slightest.
    By that I mean, if you are been called for "support" and spend half a day giving it, will yoour current employer be happy with you spending your time sorting it out

Only my opinion.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    Also on a standard LA contract you'd be breaking your agreement of employment. Just saying be careful.
    Is this definite - some moons ago I used to be a technician at a secondary and openly had a second weekend job. I'm not saying you're wrong - just that nobody commented other than to ask how it was etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 748 Posts
    With the LA you have to fill out a rather large form giving them the details of your extra work duties and informing them if there are any conflicts of interest i.e. will you be stepping on anyones toes at the LA if you undertake any contracts outside your normal work. You would not be able to do work for companies that the LA has contracts with already.
    I had to fill this in cos of a Deputy Head teacher who wanted his laptop fixing and thought that it was his right to have it done for free and not the £70 I charged him. He contacted the LA and questioned my charges to which i was sent out one of these forms to fill out.
    Just be careful when taking anything on like this look at the worst case scenario before you commit.

Thank Post

What I charge

If its friends and people I know on a personal level and its a personal computer than I charge around £10-15 an hour plus parts.

If its some one I know who runs a business if it can be done as a favour for a favour I will do, recently I did some work and payment was a cambelt change and service on my van. This works as long as the boundarys are clear.

If its some one I know as a friend and its business I will often do a reduced rate if people are struggling or setting up a business, kind of like an introduction offer.

If its 100% on the business side then its £40 and hour.

I must admit I would be unsure of how to charge the support side, I would be tempted to per call or visit.

An other way of looking at it is how much business could be generated by this through extra contacts etc, etc. I have had the odd job I have done cheap just for the contacts for future work.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,382 Posts
    Blog Entries
    for the charges, ring companies and see what they charge, just ask for quotes for the work and work a price based along the fact that you cannot offer the same insurance they can.

As for support, that should be done on an AS CALLED basis, say for example £50 per call plus £x per hour + parts if required, that way you have yourself covered.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,391 Times in 1,853 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    Also on a standard LA contract you'd be breaking your agreement of employment. Just saying be careful.
    There is no such thing as a standard LA contract for support staff. All LAs will be different.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,246 Posts
    How is payment going to be dealt with? If you're not Sole Trader or Limited Company, it's not in the company’s interest to hire you, because you cannot invoice them and secondly, the company cannot offset any costs to setup the network.

As for charges (it really depends on specific requirements), but setting up a network from scratch, you're looking at maybe £300+ then support charges would be an hourly rate.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,391 Times in 1,853 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    How is payment going to be dealt with? If you're not Sole Trader or Limited Company, it's not in the company’s interest to hire you, because you cannot invoice them and secondly, the company cannot offset any costs to setup the network.

As for charges (it really depends on specific requirements), but setting up a network from scratch, you're looking at maybe £300+ then support charges would be an hourly rate.
    Sole Trader doesn't require anything special in order to exist... Other than register as self employed with the HMRC. And then handle the whole hassle of tax. Self-employment | Business Link

Thank Post
    Sole Trader doesn't require anything special in order to exist... Other than register as self employed with the HMRC
    Yes that's correct, however I very much doubt Ayaz has done this. You'll have to start keeping your own records and then there's the issue of paying NI, accountant fees etc.. This is why (as good as Ayaz probably is at setting up a network etc..) it isn't in the company's interest.

As for conflicting with LA terms and conditions of employment, I genuinely don't know the answer to that. Maybe a question to ask a union representative.

Thank Post
    you guys have got me thinking. i never even thought about the ni and tax side. i wonder if i just set up the network and not do the support side and i ask them for a lump sum of say £500 for setting the network up

Thank Post
    you guys have got me thinking. i never even thought about the ni and tax side. i wonder if i just set up the network and not do the support side and i ask them for a lump sum of say £500 for setting the network up
    It's not so much what you do, (either setting up or maintenance) it's how the company are going to pay you. Because of your position, the company couldn't offset any expenses setting up the network unless you registered as a Sole Trader or Limited Company. Sole Trader is free, you choose any name to trade under (within reason) and you then invoice the company you're doing work for.

The company then use this invoice for their records and you keep a copy for your books. Thinking about it, as long as you declared it with HMRC you could do both your normal job and this job (including maintenance) but if it's a small network, I think you need to ask just how much money you're really going to make. I would double check the terms of your current employment, but to be honest, if you go through the right channels then everything should be ok.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12